IGNORED

Taking ATGATT to the next level

onmyrt

First thing I'd do is get off the bike, and POW! Now wouldn't that be embarassing?

I can't count the number of times I've forgotten my Gerbings and Autocom cords....

Interesting concept, to say the least.

I wonder how useful/helpful it would be in a real world get off...

With most of the protection shown on the backside of the rider...no wonder they show the rider falling off the BACK of the bike.

How realistic/probable is THAT?

I would think that a rider is more likely to go OVER the bike or slide off a side on a lowside.

On a highside get-off, well then... i suppose anything is better than nothing at all.

Reminds me of like the inflatable life preserver they give you on an airplane... if it actually ever deploys, then you really have a bunch of other worries... like BOUNCING down the road like an inflatable doll. :grin:

First thing I'd do is get off the bike, and POW! Now wouldn't that be embarassing?

I can't count the number of times I've forgotten my Gerbings and Autocom cords....

This does seem like a serious potential problem. But then again note that a rather high amount of force (55 lbs.) is required for activation, and that's probably a lot more than you would apply simply by walking away from the bike.

I just noticed, "inflates fully in 0.5 second". That's a lot of distance even at slow speeds.

That's an unacceptably long time. Car airbags use a chemical explosion for inflation, IIRC.

I just noticed, "inflates fully in 0.5 second". That's a lot of distance even at slow speeds.

That's an unacceptably long time. Car airbags use a chemical explosion for inflation, IIRC.

Especially if you consider that the break-away cable is going to have some slack that will add to the lag as well.

Especially if you consider that the break-away cable is going to have some slack that will add to the lag as well.

Looks like a lot of slack if you fall off the side.

I'm guessing "maybe" the walking away from the bike could be solved by detecting if the bike is on or not.

Still seems like a ways away from being perfected though.

For my money I would invest in advanced rider training and hopefully avoid the accident in the first place! Secondly I would buy the best protective helmet and leathers I can get, and thirdly only ride when I am fully awake and ready to tackle the challenge of riding safely and avoiding idiots. I do ride hard and fast, but training dictates where and when

Lucky for me I supply most f the top rider training schools in the UK including the police, so I get good advanced training whenever I have the time. The experience has made me wiser, but still I may one day need an airbag suit, but probably not so much so as those who don’t have advanced training?.

If you want an airbag jacket then I imagine it must only help with secondary protection, and if you saw the major spinal surgery I had due to hitting a tyre wall at 30mph head on after crashing on a race track at about 100mph and tumbling like a rag doll through the gravel trap, you would know that I now take safety very seriously. I can’t afford to suffer that again.

I hope it saves lives and helps keep people safe, I just think its better to invest in avoiding accidents than planning on having them. After all we’d all be driving Volvos otherwise!

Tom

With the group I ride with, activation on the bike is the least of the problem with this. Getting out of the restaurant probably is the bigger challenge!

I read that there's an redesign of this system being considered. It involves a suppository and an attachment on the seat.

I like how it immobilizes the head and adds additonal chest and back protection. Looks like a useful system to me.

I agree, 0.5 seconds might be too long. I'm not sure what the "hang time" is when thrown from a motorcycle before you land.

Good concept, maybe in a few years it will be a practicle working technology.... of course it requires that you actually wear a helmet.

Maybe they can invent a "crusier" version that inflates a full coverage cushion for you head... so they can have some protection without wearing a helmet.

With guys I ride with one of them would sneak up and yank the cord at a stop light, and pow! Or at the restraunt on the way in yank, pow! To many opportunities for random inflation for me, I'll stick to armored stuff for now.

I like how it immobilizes the head and adds additonal chest and back protection. Looks like a useful system to me.

I agree, 0.5 seconds might be too long. I'm not sure what the "hang time" is when thrown from a motorcycle before you land.

Good concept, maybe in a few years it will be a practicle working technology.... of course it requires that you actually wear a helmet.

Maybe they can invent a "crusier" version that inflates a full coverage cushion for you head... so they can have some protection without wearing a helmet.

What's a half second at 60 mph -- something like 80 ft? That's a long way to travel before your airbag inflates, and chances are you will contact the object that initiated the inflation sequence well before then.

Archived