IGNORED

Experience with Nuvi 500 or 550

pokorskij

Garmin website indicated these are waterproof, and motorcycle friendly.

Considerably cheaper than Zumo series.

Anyone with experience that would like to share?

Thanks.

My SO has the Nuvi 550 in her car. It's a very nice device with ONE major drawback (IMHO). It won't allow you to create specific routes in advance, in Mapsource, and then download them to the device.

The Nuvi does do routing (in the device); however, I find it to be a VERY tedious process. With the Zumo series, you can create multiple routes in advance and download them to the device.

For a LOT more info, you can check out www.zumoforums.com (requires registration). I've really learned quite a lot from the folks on that forum. :thumbsup:

I use a 550, I've gone through some heavy rain a few times with it. I usually unplug it and go on battery power when I see the storm coming, I'm leery as to the mini usb connection being watertight.

The only problem I've had is I lost the rubber plug for the usb port. I'm quite happy with it for the price.

I had heard that you can transfer routes to the 500 or 550 from PC or Mac mapping programs. I would like to know for sure, as I am wanting to get a 550, but do need to be able to move pre-planned routes from my laptop.

I have a 500 and use Garmin Roadtrip (Mac) to create routes. Once you create them and transfer them to the device, you need to do an "import" once the Nuvi is unplugged from the computer. I have no idea why - it's as if it is unpacking/unzipping the files to read them. At any rate, it works fine.

Overall I think it is a good GPS for the money but keep in mind that there are no buttons, so it relies solely on touch screen input. Its also been totally watertight for me (many heavy rains on the highway), both plugged in and unplugged. The motorcycle cradle is a nice mount as well; very easy to take the unit on and off the bike.

I bought a pair of them - one for me, one for the missus. Cheap enough we could buy two! We did 6000 miles cross country this spring, and hell, the thing's great! Just point and go. Having the different modes (bicycle, scoot, car) is really handy.

I haven't soaked it in a storm, but if you're worried about the waterproof-ness, just slip a zip-lock bag over it. I suspect it's just as waterproof as the zumo units.

Some folks will complain about the lack of audio output to the autocom. I personally don't want the thing yackin' at me so I shut it off anyway.

I added a plastic stylus to my ram mount. It's held in place with a little velcro and a little tether. Big winter gloves are no problem.

I'd buy it again. Two, even.

I was under the impression (from contributors to another board) that one could download routes from Mapsource onto the SD card. Routes are then "imported" from the SD card into the Nuvi 550.

Are they wrong?

Archived