IGNORED

Glove protection versus warmth versus water-proofness?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Most of my gloves are old and in need of replacement. At the moment I have 5 pairs...a no-gauntlet, ventilated pair for off-road or hot weather; a leather pair from Olympia with short gauntlet but unlined; a lightly insulated, waterproof pair of textile with padding and some leather on the palm, my winter gloves from Alpinestars and a pair of Aerostitch triple-digit liners.

I need to replace virtually all of them except the Stitch. In my experience, waterproof leather gloves still soak up water and the gloves get heavy. Although they may prevent water from reaching my hands, staying wet makes the gloves get cold. And they never quite dry out throughout my day or overnight.

Waterproof textile gloves can compromise on safety and I think that I would be more likely to lose traction on a wet surface, although I've been prepared and fortunate over the years.

So then what? Get a nice pair of leather gloves and put the triple digit covers over them? Or add a pair of the insulated triples to the mix? Keep in mind that our winters are 5-6 months on overcast conditions, with ever-present power drizzle.

What say ye?

Steve

My BMW Atlantis gloves for medium cold and my BMW gauntlets for really cold have both seen some real wet weather (midwest rain storms)and performed well.

The gauntlets are super warm although a bit difficult to operate small things.........

I have some BMW winter gloves that I bought on ST.N. Great gloves in cool to cold weather. Totally waterproof, don't get all sweaty inside. Nicest gloves I have ever had. I have them, and a pair of relatively cheap leather gloves. That's all I need now.

Most of my gloves are old and in need of replacement. At the moment I have 5 pairs...a no-gauntlet, ventilated pair for off-road or hot weather; a leather pair from Olympia with short gauntlet but unlined; a lightly insulated, waterproof pair of textile with padding and some leather on the palm, my winter gloves from Alpinestars and a pair of Aerostitch triple-digit liners.

I need to replace virtually all of them except the Stitch. In my experience, waterproof leather gloves still soak up water and the gloves get heavy. Although they may prevent water from reaching my hands, staying wet makes the gloves get cold. And they never quite dry out throughout my day or overnight.

Waterproof textile gloves can compromise on safety and I think that I would be more likely to lose traction on a wet surface, although I've been prepared and fortunate over the years.

So then what? Get a nice pair of leather gloves and put the triple digit covers over them? Or add a pair of the insulated triples to the mix? Keep in mind that our winters are 5-6 months on overcast conditions, with ever-present power drizzle.

What say ye?

Yes. :thumbsup: If possible, leather gloves uninsulated palms and insulated backs, let the triple digits take care of the water. Glove liners (hand socks) give you added flexibility; carry 2 pairs of glove liners (quick switch if the first gets wet) -- they are cheap and take up next to no space, and you can dry them out quickly with an electric hand dryer in a restroom. I haven't tried the insulated triple digits, but they seem like a great idea.

You're right. Even waterproof leather gloves use a built-in waterproof liner to keep your hands dry, which still allows the leather to absorb water and become heavy and cumbersome.

To waterproof the leather on your gloves, use Sno-Seal or NikWax, especially heavy at the seams.

I am very pleased with my Goretex Xtrafit gloves. The Xtrafit-type Goretex membrane is bonded to the glove (not as a separate liner) and water is not absorbed so much by the outer material.

Have got a pair of frank thomas gloves (aqua) which i have used in all weathers and have been always been comfortable no matter what the conditions

Archived