IGNORED

Element Fastrack Bluetooth Solid Helmet

frenchwv

Is anyone using one of these? The price is right. Are there any cons? Does the bluetooth work consistently? I've been shopping for a comm system helmet and was about to settle on a Nolan N103 until I saw this one. With all the extras, the Nolan is almost $600. This one seems like a decent alternative.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/17571/ITEM/Element-Fastrack-Bluetooth-Solid-Helmet.aspx

I have one. Its OK not great. I use it as my commuter helmet because it never fails that my office tries to reach me on my commute to the office. The helmet itself is noisy but has little ventilation which seems like an oxymoron but true. Because of the lack ventilation it fogs really bad. I'm in NJ and cold mornings are a bit of a pain. They don't offer an anti-fog shield yet. Even with the dishsoap trick I still need the visor cracked open quite a bit. Which leads to an issue with using the bluetooth. The bluetooth itself works pretty well as far as phone usage goes. I have a sub issue with it as I have a newer phone (PalmPre) and I find it clunky(best word I can think of)to use with that phone. (Wife's Blackberry works fine) If the visor didn't fog as much I think the way they implemented the bluetooth would be great. With the visor down (afternoon drive) people can hear me & I them up to about 60mph. Which rarely happens on my commute. I have not tried it with an Ipod or mp3 yet. I did try this weekend to pair it to my Garman 660 it didn't work the helmet wants a code of 0000 & my 660 wants to use 1234. I need to call tech-support to see what they have to say about that.

I can’t offer any advice on that particular helmet, but I am also using the Scala Rider Team set on my Aria Profile helmet and on my wife’s Shoei helmet. My primary use of the Bluetooth is also commuting time and need to communicate with work/home. I would suggest that helmet quality and comfort lead your decision. The Bluetooth can be added. My .02

So what happens with these bluetooth headsets on a long ride? And the sound quality is just so bad.

I wonder if anyone has used the Cardo wireless with the Garmin 550 plus XM radio?

Paul In Australia
So what happens with these bluetooth headsets on a long ride? And the sound quality is just so bad.

I wonder if anyone has used the Cardo wireless with the Garmin 550 plus XM radio?

Not so.

The quality on my stereo ADP2 Camos Bt 230 is pretty good. Stand by time is 14 hours. Plenty for me. Easy to use. Phone and Ipod as well as second channel Intercom. BT 330 also does bike to bike.

So I am afraid , for the money and ease of use, the quality is anything BUT bad.

regards

PCH

Thanks for the help. I like the Cardo idea. This is probably a question for another thread, but what do you guys think is the quietest helmet out there? I mostly do long distance riding on interstates so the less noise the better.

Fightingpiper

I have the older Camos system and still really like it. The problem with the Garmin 550 is that it only broadcasts in Mono so you need a stereo bluetooth adapter on the headphone jack on the Zumo to broadcast in stereo to the helmet. I get at least 14 hours of time on my Camos. I carry 2 bluetooth adapters which last about 8 hours. One charges in the tank bag while the other is playing XM or MP3's.

...and my Cardo doesn't support A2DP anyway, so it's all mono no matter what you do. Personally, I think the sound quality is terrible anyway. I've adapted to it, but on long days, I just go with earbuds. It's okay for commuting, but not extended rides.

...and at least with my Scala Rider Teamset, the XM doesn't transmit via bluetooth so you'd have to have earbuds anyway, but then you can't use the phone, so it's all a dissapointing compromise.

I would really love to get a Bluetooth headset to listen to music, XM and GPS directions, but after reading this thread and reviews of products out there, I'm sticking with the earbuds. They block out external sounds, have better bass sound, and I don't have to worry about the battery going dead in mid ride.

But you do not know how many times I've hit the cord, pulling the ear buds out of my ears, during a ride. That I wish I could change.

Archived