IGNORED

BMW R1200RT Large Top Case Rack - Anyone?

Rocker

Has anyone installed a rack to the BMW Large Top case? I used to have a Givi with the rack, but my new RT has the BMW Top case. If you've installed one, which make? It looks like the Givi is too small to mount around the vinyl padding on the RT. I like to carry a Beer cooler up there when camping.

Thanks

Nice n Easy Rider
Has anyone installed a rack to the BMW Large Top case? I used to have a Givi with the rack, but my new RT has the BMW Top case. If you've installed one, which make? It looks like the Givi is too small to mount around the vinyl padding on the RT. I like to carry a Beer cooler up there when camping.

Thanks

Haven't used it but you might take a look at this.

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=010_RTRack

I have this rack from J C Whitney mounted to my 49L top case.

Attached easily, fits nicely, and is a bargain at just $59 :thumbsup:

Details here.

G_12507G_SW_1.gif

I've ridden thousands of miles with a large duffle bag strapped to it with no problems at all :thumbsup:

Got any pics or install tips.

I'll snap a few pics tomorrow and post them, but take my word for it, it does fit nicely on the OEM 49L top case. :thumbsup:

Got any pics or install tips.

I'll snap a few pics tomorrow and post them, but take my word for it, it does fit nicely on the OEM 49L top case. :thumbsup:

Here it is.

IMG_1103-1.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

I think I'd be concerned about weight limitations. The 49-liter case is so large that when packed it's more than likely already well above BMW's recommended limit, don't know that I'd want to add any more to that. Plus the further the weight is from the attachment point (from the top case to the bike) the more stress is imposed. But a rack might be OK for light but bulky loads such as a sleeping bag.

That rack does look like a good fit on the 49L top case. There seems to be several different models to choose from th JC website.

Which one is yours?

I'll bet drilling that first hole was exciting...

I don't know how most folks do projects like this, but what I did was place a 2" strip of masking tape along both sides where the holes would go.

Then I centered the rack on the top case and drew circles around the post ends with a pen, onto the tape.

Drilling thru the plastic (no it's not metal) was easy.

I coated the mounting screws with Loctite before installing.

You should contact the Whitneys.

:Cool:

I too would want to weigh my loaded topcase before adding additional mass.

I weigh my case liners before putting them in the saddlebags when going on trips and somehow they manage to get heavier over the years.

Same for the GIVI topcase.

Time to tighten up again.

I have a Givi E81 mounted on my 49L top case. It matches well with the bike and installation was pretty easy (yes, the first hole was a thrill). Note I reversed the installation on the BMW case (it just seemed to fit better), and I needed to get 4 small plastic bushings at a local hardware to install. I needed to raise the rack so it would clear the passenger back rest on the top case. I'll see if I can scare up a picture for you.

http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/GIVI_E81_Top_Case_Rack_For_E460_Topcase_p/gv-e81.htm

Hi

The rack looks great. Did all the screws provided with the rack work?..or did you have to do something else? Any problems(tips) drilling holes thru the top case lid?

Bob

I had a Give on a Givi V46 Topcase on my 1st RT. I was concerned that it wouldn't clear the large pad on the BMW case? I picture would be nice.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Archived