IGNORED

Cee Baileys screen for R1200ST

stagrider

Just finished my first week's commuting on my new (to me) 2005 R1200ST. In most respects a great bike compared to the R1100RS it replaced - but with winter coming I can tell that I'm gonna get cold if I don't get a bigger screen. I had a Wudo on my old R1100RS which was great but I don't think they do screens for R1200ST. I have a CeeBaileys on my Harley which is good - so wondering if anyone tried the Cee Baileys taller screen for the R1200ST ? I am pretty sure I am gonna order one but its not cheap so just thought I'd check that its worth it - anyone out there tried one and have any opinions - good or bad ? When I was googling for "BMW R1200ST screen" I didn't find much but I did hit dealer adverts in the USA for two separate R1200STs which both had taller screens but which were different and better looking than the CeeBaileys. Anyone know what other makes of screen there are for R1200ST ?

Regards

Mike

I've had a Ztechnik since last Winter on my ST. It makes riding more comfortable, but it REALLY flops around. I wonder if the R1200ST windshield arms are up to the task. And, the screw holes have started to crack. No, I did not over-tighten the screws.

Not sure I would buy another one.

Bob

I have the shorter Cee Bailey (the 11" one) on my ST and am very happy. FWIW, I am about 5'9" and find the screen is just about perfect. When I want to get the wind to flow over my head, I do pull the screen to the upper position, but unless the road is smooth the screen will work its way back down. Even so, the Cee Bailey stays in place better than the stock screen.

No problems with drill holes cracking or the screen flopping around in the wind either. I left the Cee Bailey screen on for a track day earlier this year and at an indicated 125 MPH the screen was fine...felt kind of silly riding around with a "big" screen, but that was just my ego whining.

If you are my size, you might prefer the higher shield, if taller definitely go for the 12.5".

Best way is to make your own starting with some a commercial DOT-approved screen.

Seems obvious that you should make a mock-up to establish dimensions. Duh. Cobble something together and go riding without a left glove.

How can you expect an off-the-shelf unit to be right?

Basic personal issue is decision if air blast should be over your ear-height or below your chin. In-between doesn't compute. For the winter, the decision seems clear.

Lots of sites explain working with plastic. Of course, a windscreen breaking is a serious safety risk and so you have to decide how to address that - either by knowing what you are doing, not doing it yourself, or incremental stress testing.

I've put a very ugly and very tall windscreen on a very beautiful bike and gotten well-deserved howls. Think I care?

Is Gustavson in Florida still making wonderful custom windscreens for modest cost?

Thoughts about windscreens appear in two write-ups at my website ("Ergonomics..." and "Windscreens").

Interesting comments from everyong. Cee Baileys sounds like a better bet than Ztechnic as I don't want it flopping around. On my old R1100RS I used to run the Wudo fully up and I gave support to the screen mount by wedging two rubber door stops between the screen and the fairing and that I worked a treat allowing high speeds with great winter weather protection. From the comments about high speeds and track days with CeeBailey it sounds like it'll do the job.

I am also 5'9". Still not sure whether to go for standard domed 12.5" or the Euro cut 11". The 12.5" sure ain't that pretty but at the end of the day its winter warmth that I am after. I'll try sitting on the bike and measuring from top of headlight to try and see where on my head 11" and 12.5" comes out !

Thanks for the replies.

Mike

I have a cee bailys for my ST, it's great for cold weather riding. I put mine on in mid Oct and will switch back to the original in the early spring. The added height makes a huge difference in warmth just by keeping the extra wind off of you. You are right though it looks pretty bad but i get an extra two months riding with this shield. The quality is excellent, it's much thicker then the stock shield.

Brian

Other options include Parabellum and three different screens from Wunderlich.

I fitted a Laminar Lip to my screen and find that this pushes the airstream up from my chest to my helmet, unfortunately at the expense of a marked increase in noise. I then tried a Ztechnik VStream screen which was nicely made and gave good protection to my torso but also a truly horrendous amount of wind noise.

For comparison purposes, I'm 5'11" with a 32" inside leg and ride with the standard seat in its highest position and the 'bars in the lowest.

John

Other options include Parabellum and three different screens from Wunderlich.

John

John (and others), thanks for info. Had a look at Wunderlich and Parabellum websites. Wunderlich would tick the price box and I would kinda like to be patriotic and buy British. Not sure there are 3 different Wunderlich - I think there is just the High and Wide in either clear or tint. Looking at the picture here:

http://www.nippynormans.com/HIGH-WIDE-SCREEN-CLEAR-R1200ST/productinfo/WDE-ST1200-C/

I just don't think the difference in size from standard is going to be big enough to take the wind high enough for the calm, quiet winter ride I am looking for. Anyone tried the Wunderlich ? Any reports ?

Found Parabellum here: http://www.parabellum.com/stores/showdetl.cfm?&DID=22&Product_ID=47&CATID=1

Now that looks like it'll give good protection and is probably a bit better looking than the CeeBaileys. Anyone tried one (12,14 or 16) ? And does anyone know if they have a UK distributer ? If so do they still offer the 30 day "try it and change height if not satisfied" deal ? That would probably swing it for me.

Any info appreciated.

Mike

Mike,

This link should take you to where you can download an English language version of the Wunderlich catalogue for the ST:

http://www.wunderlich.de/Service-for-you/Wunderlich_Catalogue_International/Catalogue_download/R-1200-ST/

The screens available are:

1. Sport-Touring Screen 'Mirage' (overall height 500mm; Nippy Norman's quoted me £149 + £8.50 p&p. This is the same height as the Ztechik screen so it would be too low for me.)

2. Touring Screen (overall height 520mm)

3. Marathon Screen (overall height 600mm)

John

Mike,

This link should take you to where you can download an English language version of the Wunderlich catalogue for the ST:

http://www.wunderlich.de/Service-for-you/Wunderlich_Catalogue_International/Catalogue_download/R-1200-ST/

The screens available are:

1. Sport-Touring Screen 'Mirage' (overall height 500mm; Nippy Norman's quoted me £149 + £8.50 p&p. This is the same height as the Ztechik screen so it would be too low for me.)

2. Touring Screen (overall height 520mm)

3. Marathon Screen (overall height 600mm)

John

John, thanks for the info that's a great catalogue and very German - somehow I had previously thought it was a British company who had cleverly chosen a Germanic sounding name (like Mueller yoghurt ).

Anyway, either the Touring or Marathon screen looks like they will do the job for me . Does anyone have any feedback on the Wunderlich screens ?

Regards

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at the Wunderlich touring screen 520mm for my ST about AU$350 delivered. I am only 5ft 7inches or about 170cm so this screen should suit me perfectly. I have another option here a locally made eaglescreen made in Perth WA (other side of the country as compared to ordering from Germany)

It will be interesting to see.

I hated the look of that parabellum screen & the ztechnik looks good but maybe not tall enough?

Eaglescreens:

You can check them out here http://www.eaglescreens.com.au/bmw.htm

If you want more info I can email photos & the details that were forwarded to me from the manufacturer. They have 5 different screens, extra width, different tints, extra distance from the mounting its quite interesting to see the options & they do ship worldwide..

Cheers Teddy

Hi Teddy,

Good timing for your posting. I ended up buying the tallest Wunderlich screen (I think it was called motorway). I fitted it at the weekend (very easy and I just got off my bike after the first ride (to work) in freezing fog. It is absolutely brilliant and I highly recommend it. At your height you will still be able to see over it fine in the lower position. Once up at motorway speeds you can just slightly lean forward and you get a completely quiet ride at whatever speed you want ! I did try it in the higher position as well which would give even less wind noise when sitting upgright - but it did work its way back down to the lower position - which is expected as the screen's instructions warn you this will happen. I notice that Wunderlich also do a handle for pulling up your screen while riding and I may just purchase one of those.

I definitely recommend this screen for the R1200ST. Another benefit is its wider and deflects more wind off of your hands.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update, its always nice to hear a fellow ST rider's comments!

The weather has got really hot here all of a sudden 33C today so we have the opposite problem keeping cool on the bike!

The dealer only offered me the three Wunderlich screens listed above, Mirage/Touring & Marathon (that last one sounds like an old Metzeler tyre I used to have)

Looks like Wunderlich will be getting my money then, since I posted I got another email from eaglescreens they offer a thickness of 3.0mm, 4.00mm & 4.5mm for the biggest screen. The Wunderlich ones are 5.0mm so I would assume stronger & heavier?

As for the stock screen moving down, on some of our aussie goat tracks this happens as well especially if I have a bit of speed onboard. I saw the anodised handle that looks like a great idea too.

Will place an order tomorrow for the probably the Touring screen tomorrow.

Can I ask a favour can you measure with the screen down, the distance from the top of the hex headlight to the top of the marathon screen please?

Cheers Teddy

Hi Mike,

Will place an order tomorrow for the probably the Touring screen tomorrow.

Can I ask a favour can you measure with the screen down, the distance from the top of the hex headlight to the top of the marathon screen please?

Cheers Teddy

Hi Teddy, I'm staying up in town tonight so can't do the measurement today. My screen is the Marathon (I know I called it Motorway earlier but ...). It was also hard for me to choose between Touring and Marathon but as I run my seat in the high position to give more room for a dodgy knee (old motox injury) I kinda figured the taller screen would be best. If you also run your seat in the high position then I think you should still go for Marathon but if you run in low seat position then Touring will probably be ok for you.

Regards

Mike

Hi Teddy, I'm staying up in town tonight so can't do the measurement today. My screen is the Marathon (I know I called it Motorway earlier but ...). It was also hard for me to choose between Touring and Marathon but as I run my seat in the high position to give more room for a dodgy knee (old motox injury) I kinda figured the taller screen would be best. If you also run your seat in the high position then I think you should still go for Marathon but if you run in low seat position then Touring will probably be ok for you.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I have the seat in the low position & it also is the low seat option so I probably sit lower than most people do on the ST (I thank my parents for short legs)

I'll give my local dealer a call & go the Touring, delivery is 2-3 weeks away anyway. I know the eaglescreens man will be disappointed as he gave me a very detailed & helpful email.

Cheers Teddy :)

Hi Teddy, I've done the measurement. Its 30cm from the tip of the pointy bit of the headlamp surround which is riders side of the screen to the highest point of the screen (in its middle). Sounds like with your low seat option you are right to go for the touring screen. You can always move it to the upper position if you need it higher (for less noise). For me with the high seat I get the quietest ride with my marathon screen in the high position. Last night it stayed up on that position for my 60 mile ride home. I will probably make some little cork or rubber wedges just to keep it up there - or I may even pay Wunderlich the £40 they ask for that aluminium handle , but i suspect I will just make the wedges !

Good luck with your Wunderlich.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for that Mike the Marathon screen is quite a biggie as sports screens go. I think (memory is bad here & its 36C so don't feel like checking) its about 115mm for the stock screen so 300mm is quite a bit bigger. No matter will know more when I get my touring screen which I expect will be around 80mm less than the 300mm that you have on your screen.

Cheers Teddy

Archived