IGNORED

My Gloves - What the heck...

RedHot

Look at these things!!! These are Held gloves! They were bought about a year and a half ago? What is going on? The white stuff is salty, flaky and comes off on the bike! How come only one glove? One other thing - the glove fits fine and I believe is still water proof. The material on the fingers is fine, just not sure what that white stuff is?

Is this something I should call Held about?

Any thoughts.....

gloves.gif

another view...

gloves2.gif

Sorry to see that. A real bummer. Yeah, I'd talk to them to see if they know of a problem. I've never had a problem with either of my Held gloves. One pair, kangaroo on palm side, has seen over 50k.

Since it is only one glove with the problem, could it be that it was exposed to a chemical?

And, just to be sure, they recommend that you clean the gloves regularly, not store them in cases, allow them to air, etc....

My bicycle gloves get like that; white and salty and I always assumed it was time to wash the sweat out of them but only one glove, seems strange.

Oooh, good info here Held glove care

I always have to MAKE myself take my gloves into the house and not leave them in the cases. That step is my achilles heel.

Aren't they just the best gloves, though? I love mine.

If these are you primary/only gloves you may want to buy another pair. I rotate my gloves and try to not wear the same pair two days in a row. This leaves me wearing my Harley Gloves sometimes and I get some kidding :grin:

Thanks Kathy!!!

Another dumb question - What should I clean them with?

Hi Tina,

I would try saddle soap to clean them. You should be able to find this at almost any shoe store. There's also lots of choices for treating the leather after you've cleaned it. I've been using Corbin leather conditioner (for their seats) but just until I've used it up. Another alternative is to get some baseball glove conditioner from a local sporting goods store. That will restore leather's suppleness. Again, the choices for treating leather are practically endless, but any good conditioner should do the trick.

Thanks Kathy!!!

Hi Tina,

I would try saddle soap to clean them. You should be able to find this at almost any shoe store. There's also lots of choices for treating the leather after you've cleaned it. I've been using Corbin leather conditioner (for their seats) but just until I've used it up. Another alternative is to get some baseball glove conditioner from a local sporting goods store. That will restore leather's suppleness. Again, the choices for treating leather are practically endless, but any good conditioner should do the trick.

:wave: Albert

Um, take a look at the Held link I provided in my answer above. Held does not suggest you use saddle soap to clean their gloves.

Thanks Kathy!!!

Hi Tina,

:wave: Albert

Um, take a look at the Held link I provided in my answer above. Held does not suggest you use saddle soap to clean their gloves.

Oops. Thanks Kathy. :eek:

Sorry to see that. A real bummer. Yeah, I'd talk to them to see if they know of a problem. I've never had a problem with either of my Held gloves. One pair, kangaroo on palm side, has seen over 50k.

Since it is only one glove with the problem, could it be that it was exposed to a chemical?

And, just to be sure, they recommend that you clean the gloves regularly, not store them in cases, allow them to air, etc....

I was thinking the same thing...sweat. The water evaporates, but the salt if left behind. I've seen a few motorcycle gloves do this a little when I was riding a lot of hot trackdays.

Thanks for the info guys. What puzzles me is why is only one hand white? Wouldn't they both sweat? I guess I need to pay attention to that and see what happens. I've never noticed or paid attention to one hand doing something and not the other.

Thanks for the tips!!

Nice n Easy Rider
Thanks for the info guys. What puzzles me is why is only one hand white? Wouldn't they both sweat? I guess I need to pay attention to that and see what happens. I've never noticed or paid attention to one hand doing something and not the other.

Thanks for the tips!!

Well Tina, I guess the fact that it is the left hand just goes to show that you do a lot more shifting than braking. :grin:

Geez, that is strange. Do you pump gas with your gloves on? If so, could it be leather breakdown from the gas?

I never had a problem with any of my Steve model Held gloves. I've gone through several pair and the fingertips get holes in them before anything else. i love my "Steves".

Call Held, couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the tips!!

Well Tina, I guess the fact that it is the left hand just goes to show that you do a lot more shifting than braking. :grin:

Just to clarify, it seems the problem glove is the right, not left...that would indicate throttle hand.

Perhaps discoloring is bad dye lot.

Return to Held for evaluation. Bad news is you may be out 8 weeks for this process, according to the website Kathy gratiously provided.

While on that subject, has anyone sent in gloves for non-warranty repair?

I've got a set of Steves that I recently replaced. The older gloves are in good shape except for clutch index finger, badly worn. I might consider repair if someone here has had a good experience...

Thanks,

MB>

If you did sweat enough from the palm of your hands to leave behind a residue of various salts, it's hard to imagine why only one glove shows this residue, and, more oddly, the residue only seems to be present on the leather on the flat side of your fingers and palm, and not in the material in between your fingers. Of course, the picture may not show it.

Palmoplantar hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating of the palms) is exceedingly rare and, more than that, would not manifest itself on one hand. Your palms tend not to sweat for many reason, but partially from an evolutionary standpoint, it would not have been advantageous. Sweating from the palms is mostly a nervous issue and not used by the hand to cool it, as sweating from your forehead.

So, unless you notice that you have excessively sweaty palms (you'd know, your friends would know, and everyone else who ever shook your hands), I'd eliminate it as a factor for the residue. If you really want to eliminate it, taste it, but I don't recommend that. Therefore, it has to be an external issue, something on your throttle, or a defect in the manufacture of that glove. I'm worried that it's some chemical that is leaching to the surface as a result of moisture.

Get it replaced. Unless you have palmoplantar hyperhidrosis.

I've got a set of Steves that I recently replaced. The older gloves are in good shape except for clutch index finger, badly worn. I might consider repair if someone here has had a good experience...

Thanks,

MB>

Exactly, that's the first finger that has worn out on the last three pairs of Steves I had, annoying. I don't realize it until I wave to fellow riders and feel a breeze....whups another index finger blowout.

Thanks,

MB>

Exactly, that's the first finger that has worn out on the last three pairs of Steves I had, annoying. I don't realize it until I wave to fellow riders and feel a breeze....whups another index finger blowout.

I can't figure that one out? Are you pushing real hard on the GPS screen or something? Does your first finger of the left hand find the clutch first?

I'm going to have to go ride and find out.

Are you sure it's salt? sometimes the fat content of the leather is high enough that it comes out and creates a white flaky, waxy residue. It's a sign of good high quality leather. Leather is a natural product and will vary from cow to cow, etc. You probably have gloves from two different cows.

If it's salt, who knows? Just rinse them out, use some saddle soap, let dry, and then apply some sno-seal or similar product.

Are you sure it's salt? sometimes the fat content of the leather is high enough that it comes out and creates a white flaky, waxy residue. It's a sign of good high quality leather. Leather is a natural product and will vary from cow to cow, etc. You probably have gloves from two different cows.

If it's salt, who knows? Just rinse them out, use some saddle soap, let dry, and then apply some sno-seal or similar product.

It's almost definitely not a salt. And you shouldn't use saddle soap on Held gloves or any other soft leather. It's meant for really tough leathers.

Thanks,

MB>

I can't figure that one out? Are you pushing real hard on the GPS screen or something? Does your first finger of the left hand find the clutch first?

Well, if you think about it, your left hand does everything while riding...ignition, clutch, faceshield, XM radio for me, reset odo, tug on jacket zipper, open gas cap, scratch my....you get the idea.... :grin:

Perhaps we can get Held to reinforce the finger.

Or do they already? :grin:

MB>

Thanks,

MB>

Well, if you think about it, your left hand does everything while riding...ignition, clutch, faceshield, XM radio for me, reset odo, tug on jacket zipper, open gas cap, scratch my....you get the idea.... :grin:

Perhaps we can get Held to reinforce the finger.

Or do they already? :grin:

MB>

I see :rofl:

Now I know why my left glove index finger doesn't wear out.

Thanks Kathy!!!

From Lee Parks Gloves website...

Glove Care Tip

Got a pair of well-used Lee Parks Design gloves? The summer riding season is over, but when was the last time you washed your favorite gloves? As you may or may not know, all Lee Parks Design gloves are hand washable and should be cleaned about every 6 months. No oils or chemicals are needed to treat these gloves as the natural oils from your hands will keep them soft and supple.

Wash Your Gloves in 3 Easy steps:

1. Wear your gloves and run them under warm tap water

2. Add mild detergent such as Woolite and "wash" your hands

3. Rinse and allow to air dry 12–24 hours (depending on humidity).

Do NOT put them into the dryer unless you want your kids to have a pair of gloves.

I specifically asked about using leather conditioner. They told me any kind of conditioner clogged the pores.

I am still not sure what it was. I washed them with a mild dish soap. I filled the sink and put the soap in so that I wasn't putting the soap directly on the gloves. Washed and rinsed them pretty good and let them air dry over night. Checked them this morning and they look normal again.

I'll test them this weekend as I'm riding and it's supposed to rain (yay :( ) oh well, at least it will give me a chance to see what they do in the rain. I'm curious if the white stuff will come back and I will pay closer attention to see if one hand sweats more than the other.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I really appreciate it!

Blue dress....

blue dress is safely tucked away in the closet and the gloves aren't cleared up soon, then they will join the dress! :P

Jerry Johnston

If it's sweat, you'll have to start waving with your right hand instead of the left. The air will dry them out. :rofl:

Archived