IGNORED

Aftermarket radio for the RT

mteitler

Hi there. :wave: Longtime lurker, first post.

I've got an '09 RT with the radio prep package. As a first step in putting together a complete audio/comm system, I want to install an aftermarket receiver where the factory radio goes - I've no desire to shell out $1500 for the factory item.

Can anyone who's done this before tell me what radio they used and why? Thanks in advance and, damn, this is a great board! :clap:

Welcome to the board and congrats on the new bike.

I've never actually read about somebody doing this before, but I'm sure it's possible. When you say Radio prep package, do you mean you have everything but the radio? If so, then I figure that the biggest obstacle will be to find a receiver that is compatible with the left console radio control buttons.

My 07 RT didn't have the radio prep kit but I instaled a Pioneer sterio receiver/CD player along with a wired waterproof marine remote. Total cost was about $300.00. I wired it for helmet speakrs and didn't bother with external speakers.

Thanks for the welcome and the congrats.

That's right, no radio. but the radio prep package includes the speakers, the antenna and has all of the connections for the factory radio in the radio compartment. There are no left side radio control buttons. Part of the challenge in choosing an aftermarket radio is that it needs to have either an RF (radio frequency) or wired remote (like on marine stereos) that can be mounted where I can control the radio while riding. Further, it can't have a motorized or flip-down face (as many of them do) as the RT's radio compartment won't allow this.

It's been quite a challenge trying to find one. I was hoping someone on the board had gone down this path before. Anyway, thanks for the response.

I would start off looking at marine catalogs. Lots of radio/CD units out there made for boats that have remote capabilities. Oh ya, welcome to the asylum, be careful on that new bike.

You might want to consider XM-Sirius as an alternative. The receivers are tiny (I cobbled on into my dash as a permanent installation) and inexpensive. One of those and an ipod for personal tunes and podcasts is my preference ...

Todd: Yah, marine radios certainly fit the bill but the flip-down or motorized face seems to be ubiquitous. Thanks for the welcome but what's this about being careful? You're supposed to be careful on these things? ;)

An iPod and satellite radio will be part of the system, but at the core I want AM/FM (and possibly weather band). I like to listen to local newsradio and sportstalk stations.

Com'on guys, no one has installed an aftermarket radio in the RT's radio compartment? :S

I have an 02 RT that had the radio prep package but no radio. I had a regular car pioneer am fm CD player with detachable face (not flip down). My bike used the BMW car wire harness. For the remote they installed a wire (like a signal relay with ir reader) that ran from the radio underneath and then mounted to the bottom of the dash. You don't even notice it and none of the wires are visible. I then mounted the remote to the top of the gas tank using velcro. I had it done at a car and boat audio shop I thing the total bill for everything was around 250. PM me with your email if you want and later today I will take a picture of the wire I am talking about and where it is mounted.

Dave:

Do you happen to know the model number of the Pioneer you used?

Thanks.

I used a DEH-P3900MP; you can pair it with a CD-MR80 or CD-MR70 wired remote. Pioneer has other models that work with the CD-MR80 or CD-MR70 which should also fit. Marine stereos mwith remote units are also available fronm Sany, Clarion, and Jenson as well as other manufacturers. Several of them should fit also. I used the Pioneer primarily because a poster on this DB had done a successful instal on his RT. I've had mine for over two years and it's worked quite well.

Archived