IGNORED

Best way to save tracks? On Garmin or to Google Maps?

FLrider

Took a ride with some friends today and want to save that trip in case I want to do it again.

1) I've got the Nuvi 550 and it has a feature that will allow you to "reverse" your trip, called Tracbac. But I would like to save that whole trip as a route. Can it be done?

2) Can I instead send that "tracback" to Google so I can play with the route a little and then save it to either google or garmin unit?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Garmin Mapsource is the proprietary program that works pretty well for uploading and downloading from your GPS through a USB connection.

While it's proprietary format isn't really compatible with other programs, you can save the track, and if you have the DVD maps, edit it and send it back to the GPS. Mapsource also has a great feature called "view in Google Earth" where it sends the track to google earth so you can view it.

You can also export the file to GPX format and save it online and share it. Like this:

http://maps.innersource.com/GProject.aspx?pid=6373

There are other programs than Garmin Mapsource. I haven't used any, but I'm sure they'll do the job just fine.

For me, I would simply transfer the track to MapSource and then trace a new route using MapSource. Depending on the route, I might split it into more than one route. One route for getting there and one for return. Then I would save the whole thing, tracks included, to disk for future rides.

I have a Zumo 550 which might be different than a Nuvi. But this is what works for me.

Eddy, on your Zumo 550 you can just go to (user data) then click on (manage trip log) then (save as a route).. That will turn your tracks into a route.. Then transfer the already made route to MapSource (saves all that tracing)..

Twisty

Eddy, on your Zumo 550 you can just go to (user data) then click on (manage trip log) then (save as a route).. That will turn your tracks into a route.. Then transfer the already made route to MapSource (saves all that tracing)..

Wow, I had no idea. I will try that when I get home. Thanks!

Archived