IGNORED

Does RAM make a mount for the Kenwood Radio?

hopz

Anyone know the answer to that?

If not, do you have any suggestions for mounting the Kenwood, except stuffing it in the tail piece of the RT? I think I would like to get the antenna pointed up and out of the tail piece cubby.

Some personal experience with this dilemma:

My 1st solution was to use a large RAm Clamp that was then attached to a Migsel on the 12RT.

It worked great but, I got tired of needing to dismantle when leaving the bike unattended. Note: that the clamp alone is probably not enough to secure the radio. I used both, a tether and velcro and i never had any problems with the radio coming free.

My most recent solution involves removing the CD player/radio rerouting wires and stuffing the kenwood upright inside the lockable radio compartment.

so far, this seems to work fine!

While working on my R1200RT during a tech day here in Texas last year, Ken H. drilled a hole in the outer (black plastic) shell containing the CD Player. He then ran the power wire thru the hole to the radio (Kenwood).

Now the radio resides atop the CD Player & can be locked up. Usually don't even lhave to lift the lid to use the radio.

Still room for a flashlight too!

Hi Albert... I got a pair of Kenwood FreeTalk XL's only lightly used.

They are substantial units and I think they are of very high quality.

The sound quality is amazing. We were testing the units with me in the garage (mine mounted on the bike- speaking via the Autocom) and the other in the house. Susie said the dog was looking for me after I spoke back to her. Boogie thought I was in the room somewhere. If you can fool a Chocolate Lab, it is pretty good.

What channel and secondary channel do you guys use? I hear Channel 2 was frequently used by us BMW people... which secondary?

CruisinCruzan

I put a square of duolock on the top of the R sidecase and a piece on my kenwood. I snap them together when I ride and have never had a problem in 4 years.

Which type of rain are you talking about? normal rain or the really wet sorta rain? the Kenwood is capable of withstanding normal damp conditions, but when you're doing 90mph into a headwind in a tropical rain storm (you know a jet wash) you need to protect it some, potentially a lot!

Archived