IGNORED

New Motorcycle Lift

Don M

Harbor freight just started carrying a new motorcycle lift table that looks pretty interesting and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. The table is hydraulic, has a full length narrow platform and sells for $179.00.

I don't have a part number and I couldn't find it on their site either. They told me at the store that they just started carrying this lift...I think it's so new that it hasn't made it on their site yet.

I did find one for that price on their site. It is an aluminum "transmission lift" kind of system re-named as an aluminum motorcycle lift. The steel ones are much cheaper. Here is the link: here

This isn't one of those center, balancing act, type of lifts, it's a full length 1000 lb capacity table lift. You run the bike on to a narrow platform, the front wheel is captured by a bracket and the platform lifts. Just called HF and the item number is 66305 but it still doesn't show up on their web site.

It's a knock off of this: http://www.kendonusa.com/lift.htm

There have been several threads on this site about the Kendon and also about a knock off from Princess Auto in Canada. I have the Kendon and like it. I needed the verticle storage feature. But if ever get the garage space, I'll go for a full width table model next time.

It's a knock off of this: http://www.kendonusa.com/lift.htm

There have been several threads on this site about the Kendon and also about a knock off from Princess Auto in Canada. I have the Kendon and like it. I needed the verticle storage feature. But if ever get the garage space, I'll go for a full width table model next time.

Looks to me like it is not wide enough to put on a bmw center stand?. Or can you?

I've never tried the center stand while on the lift. I have a feeling it would not work though. I did receive a free bike jack when I purchased my lift. It is shown at the bottom right corner of the Kendon link I posted. The jack worked very well the few time's I've had to use it.

The lift is narrow though, and I always get a second set of eyes to help me when putting the RT onto or off of the lift. My 650 is no problem as a one man job.

The build quality of the Kendon is excellent. I know nothing about the knock off width or quality though. The price of the knock off would be hard to pass up, but if you have the storage space go for a full table model. You'll probably be happier in the long run.

I see these sorts of things, and always wonder what the advantage is for us I'll-do-maintenance-myselfers. I can see why a mechanic wants the bike up where he's not squatting all day long, but a couple hours squatting or sitting on the garage floor doing a service seems okay to me. What am I missing?

I see these sorts of things, and always wonder what the advantage is for us I'll-do-maintenance-myselfers. I can see why a mechanic wants the bike up where he's not squatting all day long, but a couple hours squatting or sitting on the garage floor doing a service seems okay to me. What am I missing?

My brain tells me this.

What your are missing is "age". If I have to squat for a couple hours the big issue will be "can I get back up!!! wave

My body tells me this!

Fightingpiper

I also injured my back while doing maintenance(squatting)last year and am just now getting better. I had never had any form of back trouble until then. I believe a lift would have kept me from injury.

It's like eating dinner at the table versus eating dinner sitting on the floor but really you have to use one a few times (for more than an oil change) to appreciate it. They are a great tool if you have the room and resources.

'member now.....

Ya gits what ya pays for.

Looking at the pic and the pdf manual, I personally would not put a >$6k motorcycle on it. (Motorcycle price is not the issue...weight and cost of repair, not to mention hazard to self and other things in proximity are...) YMMV.

I bought mine (Kendon Knock off) last year from Princess Auto. Works well but you can't use the centre stand. I will modify mine by enlarging the centre area to acoomodate the stand. Otherwise very limited in it's use. Cheap enough though Can$199.

John Ranalletta
'member now.....

Ya gits what ya pays for.

Looking at the pic and the pdf manual, I personally would not put a >$6k motorcycle on it. (Motorcycle price is not the issue...weight and cost of repair, not to mention hazard to self and other things in proximity are...) YMMV.

I'm with you. It's not unusual for me to raise/lower the table several times during a work session. Pumping it manually ....er pedally, would be a PITA. If someone already parted with $12-20k for a bike, what's a few hundred more for goods tools.

I can't remember. What's the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle?

I can't remember. What's the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle?

It might be the R1200RT tool kit :rofl:

The owner.

If one has to explain it..... :dopeslap:

I have the older full table model from Harbor ... It is one heavy SOB and does take up some space BUT - The manual hydraulics work fine, are not at all a PITA, I use the bikes center stand, and the thing is a rock solid platform.

The only problem is the 3"+ height of the platform in the low position. You need to fabricate rails to attach to the sides and widen the platform for comfortable ride-on, ride-off usability.

Archived