IGNORED

Ear plugs

BarOne

I purchased a custom made (injection molded) set of ear plugs at a rally last year and they are wonderful. I lost one!! Chances are I won't be going to another rally for a while so I am asking if you folks know of any company selling a product that allows the buyer to customize ear plugs. Appreciate you suggestions.

I just had some made at my ENT's office. She said they hang onto the molds for a while. Do You have any of the paperwork to figure out where they were made, the molds might still be stored somewhere.

I just had some made at my ENT's office. She said they hang onto the molds for a while. Do You have any of the paperwork to figure out where they were made, the molds might still be stored somewhere.

Yecchhh! My earwax stuck in some file folder somewhere???

Like suggested above, I'd find a local audiologist. They'd likely make a mold and send that to a lab to have the plug(s) made. I've had it done that way, and also at a rally where someone injects the stuff directly into your ear. Both worked well.

earfuze has been very good for me. I use the ear speakers, and am thinking of doing a set of the regular plugs.

Do you know if you can use these instead of the headphones on the Scala Q2 or other Autocom devices?

I misunderstood FLrider's question. I have Westone plugs made for motor sport use. They do not have the insert for connecting to electronic components, but the brochure from Westone shows that they have earpieces for that. With the plugs in I have no trouble hearing the sound from the regular Scala Q2 set-up.

Hey Matts_VSTROM,

How are your earfuze phones at blocking out wind noise? Can you get them without the earphones -- just the jell stuff?

Paul In Australia

Hi

I tried these and the claim is not correct IMO. I went back to a personalised set made by my audiologist. Expensive, but that work. You get what ya pay for!!

regards

PCH

I got 2 pairs of excellent custom earplugs ($45 ea.) from a lady who evidently has a big gun show following. I guess I bypassed the audiologist step mentioned above and saved some $$. (Her motorcyling earplugs are somewhat different from her gun earplugs and optionally include speakers, etc. - but you do have to be there). The lesson: if you can find an actual earplug maker you can skip the intermediate mold-making step - maybe you can find someone local from the gunclub or hunting/fishing store.

I have owned custom ear plugs for years that I got from a vendor at a gun show and I use them at everyday at work but no longer use them on the bike. These things still fit and feel comfortable, but their noise reduction factor leaves something to be desired. Maybe it's just because they are old and I need to get new pair due to bodily changes, but I find that foam plugs are much more effective than my custom ones.

One note about foam plugs though. If you use them for hours everyday they tend to dry out your ear canals which causes itchiness. That's the reason I went with the customs, and I still use them at work but no longer on the bike. There is just too much noise riding a m/c.

I bought the sample package from the ear plug store to try out a bunch of different brands. I am using Hearos right now and they are outstanding.

There have been some tests published online and Hearos were a favorite. The problem with the silent ear brand is that your ear may not be compatible with their product, even with the various sizes that they sell.

I also bought a pair of these http://www.earplugsonline.com/ and they seem to be as quiet as the others but I haven't tried them with a helmet yet. One caution though. On the website they claim a 34 nrf, but when you get them in the mail the 34 on the directions sheet has been blacked out with a magic marker.

Archived