IGNORED

Marvel Mystery oil???

Schwie

Anyone out there tried this stuff in their tank? I've heard it works great and with my R11RT running like (no good) since is sat during the summer, I thought I might give it a try.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I limit it to air tools only. Used to sell it to english car owners back in the early 80's.

I now use Sea Foam in my english car just to break up carbon.

It is a mystery to me. My friends who use it sell off their cars long before I do (30 years and 289,000 miles plus on mine) so what is the point of using it? Mine still runs although the compression is out of spec now. It has had nothing extra put in it and the inside looks good and it stills runs good.

There shouldn't be any problem adding it to your fuel although it sounds like seafoam or techron might be more effective in your case.

In essence, MMO is 30wt and kerosene. Not exactly a mix I want in an area of such high loads as an internal combustion engine. However, in other applications, its penetration capabilities are impressive.

CoarsegoldKid
Anyone out there tried this stuff in their tank? I've heard it works great and with my R11RT running like (no good) since is sat during the summer, I thought I might give it a try.

Fresh fuel. Many miles. Fresh fuel. Many more miles. Repeat until it runs smooth. Then follow Tony Ks advice.

It's interesting to me that on the MMO website says "Born in Chicago in 1923, Marvel Mystery Oil was developed to combat deposits on carburetors caused by poorly refined gasoline of the age...."

Seems to me that they've probably improved gasoline since then. So unless you're still driving on "poorly refined" dinosaur juice from the mid 1920's, what's it do?

By my own non-scientific account: I've probably ridden and driven millions of miles since I was 16, and never used a drop of it. Nor have I known anyone else to use it. My conclusion then, is that the stuff is not necessary.

I have discovered (emprically, mind you) that coolant, motor oil and gasoline (or diesel), even air in the tires, are all essential.... :-)

Responses have been interesting. I saw the post before anyone checked in, & decided to wait to see the opinions. Not based on any of the above, here's mine.

We, myself, my Dad, & freinds, would put the occasional cap-full of MMO into the tank of our Airheads, dating from a '74 R90 to a '77 R100. At that time, when octane was dropping & engineers were playing keep-up, it seemed to help. Our engines were smoother, & knocks were reduced. But....

These days are different. Sure, I've thought about it. But I truely believe technologies have improved beyond MMO. Sad to say for them.

Although, maybe I'll try it in my lawn mower. Yeah, that's the ticket. :thumbsup:

+1 on the air tool use. +1 on the seafoam on carburetor engines that have been sitting awhile. Back when I use to fly model gas airplanes I would drip some MMO in the cylinder and spin the prop a few times before winter storage. I guess you could store a full size engine that way but I just use an aerosol fogger for things like my jet ski.

Archived