IGNORED

Spot Messenger - Ok I am convinced

Paul In Australia

Paul In Australia

Hi All

Ok I am moving to Central Australia. ( Alice Springs) for a years contract. I am going to ride the RT from Adelaide to Alice ( 1600 KM of desert similar to Nevada, in summer).

Long and lonely road .

So..

I have just purchased a SPOT. Good deals going now and you get free trackig for the first year.

Now I am about to order the RAM spot holder and mount for it. Looking at the clutch reservoir mount and short arm ? Anyone else do it this way? Is this the best way of mounting it on the RT?

All roads around Alice are lonely, so this unit will give me great insurance whilst living in the Middle of Australia.

Help and advice greatly appreciated.

best regards

I use the Garmin Zumo Mount and a ram arm mounted to one of the handlebar screws- with a spacer. the round Zumo mount is flat and the SPOT rests nicely on it. I also have a safety strap on it.

Hi

Wow sounds like it will be fun in the middle of ..........

Anyhoo I have the Ram reservoir top and it works great. I have a Zumo 660 mounted on it and use a bar clamp on the throttle side with a ram arm for a camera or whatever....

I find the ram mounts to work very well and item mounted is secure.

Good Luck

Paul In Australia

Hi

When you fitted the reservoir top adaptor from Ram, did the original screws just come out. leave top on, add mount on top and then put original screws back in? Or do you have to get new screws?

regards

PCH

On the 1150RT, I used the same screws and all was well. I use to travel to Alice on business. Worked out at the JDFPG. It will be a great ride from there to Ayers Rock. Beautiful country but you're right, high desert like Utah. Beware of the road trains!

Nice n Easy Rider

Paul,

I just leave my SPOT facing up in my tank bag and it works well. That way I also remember to shut it off when I'm taking my other gear (cell phone, camera, H2O) out of the tank bag at the end of the day.

Paul In Australia

Thanks George

The only problem with this idea is I don't have a tank bag and actually don't have a use for one even on week long trips. Great to know it works from there but. Presume the logo faces up and all good.

regards

PCH

I use a zip tie on my rear rack supplemented by a velcro strap when I'm riding solo without the top case on my 1150. When I'm touring 2-up, I use soft luggage on the rear rack and velcro strap the Spot to that. I've found that getting it as far away from my shadow, and as high as possible seems to improve the tracking transmission success of the device.

Paul In Australia
Hi Again

I used the new screws that came with the mount and the spacers so its sits just above the reservoir top.

Yammer

No that sounds nice and tidy. You have good results with it mounted there?

thanks

regards

PCH

Archived