IGNORED

Shorts under leathers,jeans?

TrickLidz

I have a Sargent seat and an Alaska fur and I am good for 300miles without major stops, just bio and fuel. Just using plain u-wear and BMW riding pants.

h

I've tried a lot of different solutions for long days in the saddle, some to moderate success, but am never completely comfortable. So, what's everyone wearing?

How about these?- https://www.zoneperformancewear.com/ TIA

Maybe it's not what you're wearing, but where you are sitting. Do you have a stock saddle? I just completed another 2000 mile ride (2 or 3rd of this season) and I was able to do several 500+ mile days during that time. I have a Rick Mayer saddle and it is built very specifically for my little fat-free butt. This is my 2nd saddle that Rick has built for me, and I was able to "map" my butt for him so that he knew exactly where my "sit" bones are. There are soft "wells" on the saddle for them to "sit" in. Allows me to ride longer.

As to what I wear, depends on the time of year. In warmer weather, when I'm traveling, I wear micro-fiber underwear (instead of cotton u-trow) under shorts under my 'Stich.

In cooler weather, I wear the same underwear under a myriad of choices--depending on how cold it is: lined jeans/pants, unlined jeans/pants, sometimes w/ long underwear, sometimes not. But more than anything I think it's the saddle that makes the difference for me.

Road bike / mountain bike shorts and Bold Bond Powder !

I would think the powder would become sticky paste in short order... at least in my case... Painfully I too am still looking for an acceptable setup. I'm no expert and haven't a great deal of experience in that area. My research however has left me thinking along these lines. The saddle is important, perhaps the most important. Next, and perhaps a close second is riding pants. Get rid of seams (back pockets). Next will be underwear. I've just tried UnderArmor's compression shorts. Better than typical hanes boxers but still, a couple hours in the saddle and it's not appreciably better. I have yet to try riding pants, and am not ready to part with $$ on a saddle. I'm looking forward to others "experience" on the broader range of options, not just the seat, or just the pants or underwear, but rather "the package".

russell_bynum

I use old spandex bicycle shorts. When it's really hot, I just wear the bike shorts under my roadcrafter (or leathers at the track, dirt bike gear on the dirt bike). As it cools off, I'll add REI microfiber pants, and if it gets really cold I go for the bike shorts, then thermals, then REI microfiber pants.

I did several 1000+ mile days with that setup on my R1100RT with BMW Comfort saddle (with seat jacks to raise the nose a bit), and I've done ~800 mile days on my Tuono with no problems.

With regular tighty whities, I'm good for about 200 miles before I start praying for a mercy killing.

When I bought my Roadcrafter, the agent at Aerostich advised me not to wear shorts under the pants. If you are sliding on pavement, the material in the suit can get hot enough to melt and you want something between you and it. I always wear loose and flexible chinos or similar. Definitely not jeans because they bunch, constrict, and bind.

Road bike / mountain bike shorts and Bold Bond Powder !

I would think the powder would become sticky paste in short order

Not in my experience. Gold Bond or AntiMonkey Butt both work.

The saddle is important, perhaps the most important. Next, and perhaps a close second is riding pants. Get rid of seams (back pockets). Next will be underwear.

I'd agree with the saddle, but at a $ impact, the underwear/pants beat the saddle factor. The right wicking underthings w/o seams is critical for me, along with "no jeans".

For last weekends ride, I opted for polypropylene long johns rather than the usual compressions shorts, and a bit to my surprise, they worked quite well. Old pair of chino's over that. The first part (the coldest part) was with a pant liner, but I removed that at the D&D meeting place, and just had the summer-weight riding pants (with armor) the rest of the ride. Key thing for me is to keep my temperature regulated so I'm not sweating--that's the enemy for comfort, and for hypothermia.

Thanks all,

I think the LD stuff is the way to go.

BTW- I do use a Russell Daylong saddle, and it's a thousand percent better than stock. My main problem is I suffer from "sweat-butt" even in cool weather!!

Fightingpiper

i also used to use baby powder and monkey butt. Although it feels good at first I stopped once once I realized that once the powder soaks up the moister it stays wet against the skin. I am much more comfortable with wicking undergarments and no powder and my riding gear doesn't get nearly as stinky.

Thanks all,

I think the LD stuff is the way to go.

BTW- I do use a Russell Daylong saddle, and it's a thousand percent better than stock. My main problem is I suffer from "sweat-butt" even in cool weather!!

Well, you won't like this solution, but it will do the trick, and last for many years: Rukka APR Airvision suit (http://tinyurl.com/ylbfuac). VERY expensive. You actually sit on a rubber area that allows air to circulate around your hiny. Suits are good from about 45-90 degrees; no suit is good above 90 degrees. An electric liner under the jacket is good down to freezing temps. Our suits are almost five years old, still look good. All the CE armor is also "vented". Ours (all the pieces) were replaced free under warranty about two months ago.

Long before I became interested in motorcycles, I was involved in long distance bicycle touring. When you spend six or more hours a day, day after day on a bicycle saddle, you soon learn the real meaning of butt pain. In comparison, any motorcycle saddle is comfortable! That said, I have found that high quality bicycle shorts, (6-8 panel) under my BMW Summer 2 pants, provide the ultimate in comfort. I stress high quality, because in bicycle shorts there is a direct correlation between comfort and cost. Quality shorts not only fit better and are more comfortable, but also provide better absorption and ventilation.

If you want a bit more protection from chafing, I would recommend chamois cream, rather than any type of powder. There are several brands out there, but IMO two of the best are Chamois Butt’r and Assos. These products are expensive (Assos is about $20 for 4 ¾ oz.) but work better than anything else on the market.

When I bought my Roadcrafter, the agent at Aerostich advised me not to wear shorts under the pants. If you are sliding on pavement, the material in the suit can get hot enough to melt and you want something between you and it. I always wear loose and flexible chinos or similar. Definitely not jeans because they bunch, constrict, and bind.

I'm almost positive Roadcrafter has changed their stance on this. I remember reading it in one of their catalogs a couple of years ago. Not 100% positive though. I'll try to find the link.

I wear elastic long underwear from Alpinstars ("technical underwear"). Lycra-like fabric, gives you a bit of thermal insulation and moisture wicking, but most of all it is slippery and prevents my leathers and my textile suits from sticking to skin and pulling/bunching.

Not cheap and very hard to find anymore, but it is a long-term investment: I bought mine probably some 5 years ago.

As an alternative, I use the UnderArmor long underwear, but prefer the Alpinstars because they are less tight and the fabric is a bit thinner.

I wear Capelene long underwear by Patagonia. They are designed for cold weather sports and come in 3 different weights. They wick the perspiration away from the skin so it can evaporate. They are great, but I think any synthetic fabric will keep you much more comfortable than cotton which stays wet and keeps the moisture against your skin.

FWIW, I wear ex officio travel undies and New Balance running tights or LD Comfort tights trending to smartwool or fleece as it gets cooler. I don't like shorts because my knees stick to the inside of the knee pads in my pants when it is hot. So, for me, its tights year round.

• 3 months later...

Glad you got the tights. I use the tights year around for any long distance ride. In 120 degrees in the desert heat there is nothing better. The dual layer fabric has an inner dry layer that keeps the skin dry and ends the chafing problem of sticky legs rubbing on the armor pads. See the video on how the fabric works.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/productdescription.htm#fabricvid

Because comfort counts for EVERY mile.

Mario

Archived