IGNORED

Handle Bar Gauntlets - Are They Practical

PBee

I was at the dealer to have the turn signal cancel switch fixed and when the SM took it apart he remarked about the rain water captured in the crevice of the lever. While I was waiting I noticed a sheriff’s bike with handle bar gauntlets but the deputy wasn’t there to question.

My question is about the practicality of handle bar gauntlets, the pluses and the minuses. I ride 50 weeks a year so of course here in the NW where we have plenty of liquid sunshine rainwater is going to get captured in various crevices. Two pluses I can see for using them this time of year are keeping the cold wind off the hands and protecting all the switches on the handle bars from the constant rain. Right now I don’t see the negatives but there must be some. Right?

One form of the gauntlet is called "Hippo Hands" and are quite common on hunter ATVs. They work very well and allow you to wear thinner gloves and still keep warm. I've never had a problem with water hurting any of the switches and I think they are mostly used for warmth. Having thinner gloves is so much better when using any of the GPSs and XM etc. The only negative I've ever heard is that they are butt ugly.

I used Hippo Hands a long time ago. They were excellent for keeping the hands warm in cold weather. I never really used them in the rain. The only drawback I can think of was that all the switches are hidden. You need to know where all the switches are without being able to look (which you should Hippo Hands or not).

I've seen lots of moto commuters on the ferry run with them mounted. About this time every year they come out of hiding. Ugly yes, but they swear by them.

I think if my hands were "always" on the grips and controls, they might be OK. I know they are a real bugger if you are used to having some freedom of movement about the cockpit area, so to speak. I understand they can be a real pain to slip your hands into and out of while moving about the country. I guess that is why they are made for ATV's and not motorcycles.

I guess that is why they are made for ATV's and not motorcycles.

I have a pair of original Vetter 'Hippo Hands'. Big ugly black boxes made for motorcycles, with the blue Vetter hippo logo. I believe they were made and used on motorcycles before ATVs were popular.

Archived