IGNORED

spot

AZKomet

The primary differences are:

1. Slightly smaller size.

2. Easier-to-decipher the operating mode, i.e. separate LEDs for GPS lock, indicating that a message has been sent, etc.

3. An additional 'custom' message, in addition to OK, Help, and 911.

4. The 911 button has been changed to 'SOS' ('911' doesn't have much meaning in many foreign countries, bit of an accidental cross-cultural glitch there) and has been further recessed to prevent accidental operation.

5. Slight improvements in the radio circuitry which may provide increased reliability.

No real night-and-day increases in basic functionality over the original unit, but a nice bit of evolution.

Nice n Easy Rider
The primary differences are:

1. Slightly smaller size.

2. Easier-to-decipher the operating mode, i.e. separate LEDs for GPS lock, indicating that a message has been sent, etc.

3. An additional 'custom' message, in addition to OK, Help, and 911.

4. The 911 button has been changed to 'SOS' ('911' doesn't have much meaning in many foreign countries, bit of an accidental cross-cultural glitch there) and has been further recessed to prevent accidental operation.

5. Slight improvements in the radio circuitry which may provide increased reliability.

No real night-and-day increases in basic functionality over the original unit, but a nice bit of evolution.

One additional feature I'd like to see them add would be a bluetooth connection to the unit that would allow you to activate the help function even if you couldn't directly reach the unit. I carry my SPOT in my tankbag but that isn't going to help if I'm riding alone and thrown off the bike.

Lets_Play_Two

One additional feature I'd like to see them add would be a bluetooth connection to the unit that would allow you to activate the help function even if you couldn't directly reach the unit. I carry my SPOT in my tankbag but that isn't going to help if I'm riding alone and thrown off the bike.

Don't they already have that covered? "I've fallen and I can't get up!!" :)

Nice n Easy Rider

Don't they already have that covered? "I've fallen and I can't get up!!" :)

I've been pushing that damn button for three hours and no one has come yet. :D

From the reviews I've read, another "feature" is decreased battery life due to a switch to AAA batteries.

Well, looks like the energizers will have to be on hand!

Nice n Easy Rider
From the reviews I've read, another "feature" is decreased battery life due to a switch to AAA batteries.

Significantly shorter - looks like only 1/4 to 1/3 battery life of old model. :(

From their marketing team (May 09; old model):

# Power ON, unused: Approximately 1 year

# Tracking mode: Approximately 14 days

# 9-1-1 mode: Up to 7 consecutive days

# HELP mode: Up to 1900 messages

# OK messages: Up to 1900 messages

From the specs on the newest, smaller version:

#Standby mode: 94.7 days

#SOS/HELP: 2.8 days

#Track Progress: 4.3 days

#Check OK/Custom Messages: 350 messages

• 2 months later...

Has anyone used the SPOT Assist Roadside Assistance feature? Hows did that work out for you? Is there a profile that you can fill out that includes the fact that the vehicle is a motorcycle (for sending appropriate transport vehicles)?

It seems that some (all?) of the new Spot 2 units have been recalled ("During recent testing, we discovered that some of the new SPOT 2 devices might not meet battery and messaging operating specifications."), with replacements expected to available in "early 2010": linky

My daughter works part time in an outdoors store. She told me that they were told to take the new ones off the shelf and send them back. I just bought a version 1. They have dropped the price by $50.

I just got the old one and so far I like it. I'll know more this weekend after I use it, but I am convinced it can't be all that if the stuff hits the fan.

Paul In Australia

I just used mine ( old model) last week on a 3500 mile journey across australia. Worked perfectly. Tracking worked perfectly. Great product.

best regards

Paul

Archived