IGNORED

Roadcrafter vs your fav

SinNH

Okay this is serious. Not as serious as an oil thread,but,,

For you guys that have had a Roadcrafter Jacket and switched to another make,or visa versa.

My original Roadcrafter is in need of a "Refurbish",and that can be expensive. I really like the functions of the Stitch Jacket,such as venting and armor protection. The only issue it lacks is IMHO is that it's not windproof enough. When riding in the cold,below say 45F,I usually wear a nylon jacket mid-layer between the Roadcrafter and whatever I have on below. Everything else I like about it.

Any opinions/recommendations for a specific make replacement?

Thanks,

Steve

Keep the Stich (fix or replace) and add a Warm and Safe or Gerbing heated liner.

+1 That's exactly what I've done. Gerbing liner works great as a wind block even when riding without the heat on. 14 years now on my Stich. It will be going in for its second refurbishment this winter. Amortized over the years, it's been a great value.

I agree 100%, the stich allows too much airflow in cold weather. Adding an electric jacket or any wind proof layer to the stich helps but when it's cold I wear my old Tourmaster jacket and pants which are made of a pvc backed outer fabric. They're very windproof and the armor doesn't get stiff in the cold.

I'd be inclined to try some different stuff with the R/C. Maybe try a gore windblock sweater. One must-have for me is a neck gaiter.

I wear my R/C to work every day, all winter long, here in Seattle. It's rain rain rain, and then for maybe a month I'll scare the hell out of myself worrying about black ice... but I'm warm and dry inside there. I'll have gerbings jacket over my t-shirt and a primaloft jacket over that. Also - flanel lined jeans are a must. Sooner or later I'll add long johns underneath everything. Gets so "I can't put my arms down", but it works...

As for your question specifically, I'm no help because my only other jacket is a perforated Vanson. Ask me again in August. :-)

Keep the Stich (fix or replace) and add a Warm and Safe or Gerbing heated liner.

Dunno about Gerbings, but Warm N Safe has two jackets, one designed for use under mesh, i.e. totally windproof. The other model is fine with my other-brand jacket, which is a very fine mesh, down into the low 30s. Haven't been in an environment where it got lower than that yet.

my simple solution, I wear my frogg togg jacket over the top of the RC. I find putting the wind block outside the RC works better for me. If it is really cold, and I have to ride long time, then of course it is frog togg outside, RC, and full gerbing jacket inside, with a light weight turtle neck long sleeve shirt as the final inside layer. that usually takes me to freezing for a couple hours. then I need a quick 20 minute warm up, some hot chocolate and I am good to go for another couple hours. As I get older and fatter, (I guess better insulation) it seems I can go longer :-)

I can't figure out why folks love the RC. I was considering one, but it seems like it doesn't fit hot or cold. This summer there was a thread about how hot it is and it isn't the best choice for hot humid weather. Now, this thread is saying it is too cold without help from other gear. This might be a slight hyjack, but why would one want one over another quality jacket that can be used in either or both extreme temps?

What is leaking air in the RC? The zippers? Vents that don't close?

My very old heavy leather first gear jacket seems more and more like a hard thing to replace and be happy.

I can't figure out why folks love the RC. I was considering one, but it seems like it doesn't fit hot or cold. This summer there was a thread about how hot it is and it isn't the best choice for hot humid weather. Now, this thread is saying it is too cold without help from other gear. This might be a slight hyjack, but why would one want one over another quality jacket that can be used in either or both extreme temps?

What is leaking air in the RC? The zippers? Vents that don't close?

My very old heavy leather first gear jacket seems more and more like a hard thing to replace and be happy.

I use my RC in all but really warm temps when I switch to a vented jacket. I like it because for 95% of my riding and on all tours it fits my needs.

This is just my experience...

100% waterproof.

Don't find the wind leakage a problem at all.

Combined with a Gerbings jacket liner, I'm ready for any cold riding I do without tons of layers.

Tons of pockets.

Wears like iron. I've had mine for about 14 years.

Offers excellent protection.

They offer excellent reconditioning. I've had mine done once, and will have it done again this ear.

Tons of zippers for ventilation. I swap fairings in summer/winter which helps a lot. I hate being hot when I ride.

Easily identified as a BMW geek.

Any riding clothing is a trade-off. I think the RC is extremely versatile and has little downside.

I can't figure out why folks love the RC.
I would not say that I love the two-piece RC, but it has served me well, all things considered. This summer, I very seriously considered replacing it, but after pricing and examining everything that BMW and Olympia have to offer (two ends of the price spectrum), I decided to keep what I have. I can combat the heat in summer with an evaporative vest and combat the chill in winter with a heated vest. I also agree that they wear like iron, and Rider Wearhouse is very good with customer service. The biggest factor tipping me toward staying with the RC was the purchase of the sturdy suspenders from the Aerostich catalog. This made a big difference in comfort, giving me much more freedom of movement.

Hey thanks all for replying to my post.

We are all kind of in the same boat,the RC is a great jacket except for a couple minor flaws.

When it's cold,I have a Gerbings liner and innersoles.Along with my Firstgear HP insulated overpants,I'm good to about 35F.

I was sort of putting out feelers if anybody had worn a jacket that had Gore-Tex and crash pads, with more wind protection.

BTW somebody asked where they leak from,IMHO,it's not through the zippers or any other joint,but through the material in general.

Thanks all

Steve

I was sort of putting out feelers if anybody had worn a jacket that had Gore-Tex and crash pads, with more wind protection.

Well in that case.......I'm absolutely head over heals for my new First Gear Kathmandu. I bought it strictly for fall/winter/spring riding, and think it works great. I've worn it down into the mid-30s so far with just my Gerbings underneath, and in all day downpours and it hasn't leaked a drop. It gets a little warm when the weather gets above 85, but thats when I start reaching for my Savannah 2 jacket anyway. The armor is well placed and feels substantial. I know a Roadcrafter comes custom cut, but another big selling point for me was that First Gear is one of the only companies that offer tall sizes......which is a must for my knuckle dragging physique.

Its the best jacket I've ever owned (which includes 2 First Gear and 3 BMW jackets). I liked it enough to 100% officially retire my old First Gear jacket that I have been wearing for about 10 years through 3 bikes and almost 100k miles.

If you decide to check out the Kathmandu, I have to throw out a shameless plug and tell you to call Mike at Tellico Plains Outfitters. He hooked me up with a great price on mine, and runs a real class act operation.

I have a one piece Stich for several years and used it for almost all my riding. My Stich is at least 12yrs old and I would like to known the following.

How much does it cost generally to refurbish? I contacted Aurostich but they said to send it in to get a est.

Well in that case.......I'm absolutely head over heals for my new First Gear Kathmandu. I bought it strictly for fall/winter/spring riding, and think it works great. I've worn it down into the mid-30s so far with just my Gerbings underneath, and in all day downpours and it hasn't leaked a drop. It gets a little warm when the weather gets above 85, but thats when I start reaching for my Savannah 2 jacket anyway. The armor is well placed and feels substantial. I know a Roadcrafter comes custom cut, but another big selling point for me was that First Gear is one of the only companies that offer tall sizes......which is a must for my knuckle dragging physique.

Its the best jacket I've ever owned (which includes 2 First Gear and 3 BMW jackets). I liked it enough to 100% officially retire my old First Gear jacket that I have been wearing for about 10 years through 3 bikes and almost 100k miles.

If you decide to check out the Kathmandu, I have to throw out a shameless plug and tell you to call Mike at Tellico Plains Outfitters. He hooked me up with a great price on mine, and runs a real class act operation.

Well put,to say the least. :grin:

I'll definitly check out the Nepal jacket.

Thanks

I have a one piece Stich for several years and used it for almost all my riding. My Stich is at least 12yrs old and I would like to known the following.

How much does it cost generally to refurbish? I contacted Aurostich but they said to send it in to get a est.

Yes,to get an accurate quote you must send back the garment for an estimate,usually,from what I have read about 250/300 beans.

Steve

BTW somebody asked where they leak from,IMHO,it's not through the zippers or any other joint,but through the material in general.

That's right. The material is not windproof and in chilly temps it quickly gets pretty cold. For a quick fix, I have a nylon shell that I bought from LL Bean years ago. It is extremely lightweight, stuffs into its own pocket and is no bigger than your wallet, and is just about totally windproof. You can pull it on over your shirt and instantly have the equivalent of a windproof jacket without adding any noticeable bulk at all.

As I recall, you were admiring my newly acquired Kathmandu at BRR last spring, which I had bought only hours ago at Tellico.

You're welcome. :grin:

Depends on what you have done. I had about 1/2 of the zipper sliders and numerous strips of velcro replaced. Seems like there was something else too.... I think it ran $100 - $150 with shipping. I called with specific questions about replacing specific parts, and they were really good about coming up with numbers.

As I recall, you were admiring my newly acquired Kathmandu at BRR last spring, which I had bought only hours ago at Tellico.

You're welcome. :grin:

100% true. I bought mine the very next day :thumbsup: Thank you

I was dead set on one of the Olympia AST's until I got there and found that Olympia only makes gear for people with average dimensions. I tried on an AST in a XXXL and the body was big enough to bring a friend, but the sleeves still only came down to my forearm. At Mikes request, I tried on the Kathmandu in an XLT and it fit perfect.......snug around the body with enough room for an underlayer, and sleeves that come down just to the base of my thumb. Which is perfect once you are leaned over on the bike. Throw in the included decent quality hydration pack and a cheaper price than I could mail order it anywhere else. I just had to get past the Sherbert Orange color (it was the only XLT in stock). I got past the color and don't regret it for a second.

Depends on what you have done. I had about 1/2 of the zipper sliders and numerous strips of velcro replaced. Seems like there was something else too.... I think it ran $100 - $150 with shipping. I called with specific questions about replacing specific parts, and they were really good about coming up with numbers.

+1 I had mine done quite a few years ago, but I remember the pricing being right around there.

Seems like the only thing to go on mine is the velcro and zip pulls.

Archived