IGNORED

1200RT auxilary light brackets source?

Hall Vince

Hello.

I've got a pair of Hella FF50 spot lights to add to my RT as I find the High beam lacking.

I wish to either mount them under the mirrors or , I've been playing with the idea of having them above.

My easy option for fabricating some mounting brackets is under the mirrors as I can see some likey location points on the framework behind the mirror and will only need a 3/4" hole drilled under and just in front of the mirror so not to bad.

I just wondered if anyone has a source of stock brackets that would do the job before I start measuring and getting stuff made.

I've searched for hours and not found a supplier.

Can you help?

I'll post up some pics of how mine are mounted when I get home from work, PM mer and I'll get you some close ups and E them to you. I've got a set of 6" hellas mounted on mine.

Thanks for the info on the under mirror brackets. The part numbers seem to point to a police siren when I google them.

Perhaps I should take them to my local dealer and see if they can source them.

It's my 2nd option as I would prefer to mount the lights above the mirrors if possible.

Check your state laws about lights mounted above headlight level.

Another source are Jimmy Mounts, for below mirrors. I have them with some added lights, mount to mirror studs.

No affiliation.

www.bmwofdenver.com/eshopprod_cat_3428-37464_product_481114.Jimmy_Mounts_R1200RT_Light_M.htm

They are brackets and you can source them through your dealer. That is how I purchased mine.

Have fun with the project.

Thanks for the info,

I've just emailed my local dealer the part numbers. I've been out in the garage looking at home made methods of mounting them and to be honest, can't be @rsed to mess about :grin:

So I'll see what the pricing is from UK delaer.

BTW,

do you have to remove the light or bracket to remove the side panel for service?

Ok, now ordered a pair £65 UKP each, bit expensive, but saves me messing about and should make the instal quicker and easier.

I actualy intend to run the main beam feed form the OE light direct to the LH spot, and stick in an 80w bulb in the OE high beam lens, run this via a relay and heavy gauge wiring along with the other 55w spot light. Slightly weird way of doing it but I don't risk burning out the standard wires with the 80 watter and should not have any problems with the system shutting stuff down. I'm confident the plastic lens and glass with be ok with the extra heat of the 80w bulb as it's a high beam which will be used for fairly short bursts and always on the move.

\v/

• 2 weeks later...

Ah Ha!.

Now fitted. I had to get made a couple of right angle brackets, which I then had to bend a little more so the Hella lights sat true and level and I could get full range of adjustment. I also spent a little more and had them powder caoted black to match the RTP brackets. They look good IMO.

I'll try and get some pics as I designed the right angle brackets to hold a bright LED running light light as well which helps remind cage drivers just how wide the RT is on narrow dark country roads.

I have a question tho...

I know a lot of you have a lot of power sapping gadgets and lights on your bikes, I had a pair of 80watt H7 bulbs which I put in the FF50's. However on starting the bike and testing the set up I noticed a large drain on the altenator, it made a lot more noise as it was slowing the engine and I imagine stressing the belt more. I didn't like it, So much so I removed the 80w bulbs and replaced the 55 watters. It seems much happier not drawing the extra 50watts.

The altenator should cope with the extra load, I have the FF50's wired with heavy gauge feed wire and through 20amp relay. High beam triggers the relay, all connections soldered and sound.

I wonder how others have fared with their total wattage allowance on the RT?

\v/

160W extra should not be too much as the heated clothing load a lot more and then lights. But of course the alternaator has to work harder.

720W is what you should have available to you.

h

They are Hella FF50's. I used them as driving lights in the Texas deer country at night and they were very effective at throwing a good deal of light down the road.

Thanks, they looked like they were round in the picture, and the Hella FF50's are not round, but after re-looking at the picture I see that they are not as round as I thought.

• 4 weeks later...

Pics here...

I left enough cable so I could pop out one of the stainless capheads holding the extra right angle bracket I had made and powdercoated to match, then loosen the other and the whole light assy can pivot down 90 degrees for ease of panel removal come service time. They work really well.

The extra little LEDs you see are some bright little pods I use as running lights. I find they help on dark narrow back roads to assist the oncoming driver realise the width if the bike. They seem to give me a wider berth with the LEDs running.

RT12-spot-lights-3.jpg

RT12-spot-lights-1.jpg

RT12-spot-lights-4.jpg

RT12-spot-lights-6.jpg

\v/

Archived