IGNORED

TireGard TPM System

johnlt

I purchased a TireGard TPM system from Cycle Gadgets last week so I thought I'd give you a brief review after installation and several rides.

Installation. Simple!! Just install the small watch battery in each sensor unit (should last about 1-2 years) and the AAA in the display and you're set to go. You can select either PSI or several other units for pressure and either F or C for temperature. You can also set alarms for high or low pressure and high temperature. Includes "low battery" display for both the sensors and the display unit. Also has an "automatic sleep mode" to conserve battery. Very easy setup. You just screw on the sensor to your valve stem. I have 90 degree billet stems and they worked fine. The display comes in a "key fob" but I chose to attach it to a small bracket on the dashboard. I could also put it in the map case on my tank bag in wet weather.

I aired up my tires and the display indicated exactly the same reading as my air guage. Seems very accurate.

On one ride which included about 20 miles of ~80 mph, I compared the pressure and temps from cold to right after the run with the following readings. These were TKC 80s on my GSA

Cold:

Temp was at ambient 86 degrees F

Pressure was 31 front and 34 rear

Hot:

Temp was 91 degrees F for the front and 106 degrees F for the rear

Pressure was 35 front and 40 rear.

Here are a couple pics of the system installed on my GSA:

705139910_Sq4ZL-L.jpg

705139992_rwuJy-L.jpg

705140174_QMpt9-XL.jpg

Are those pressure caps on the valves lockable?

I've had shiny valve caps stolen when I've left the bike over night in France on the street (We think it was kids that nicked them to put on the there push bikes). I suppose they could be taken off if the bike was left outside. It's remembering to do it is hard bit for me.

I had the Smartire system on my 12ST before which was very good, but the tyre fitter damaged onr of the sensors and I can not find a replacement for it, (Smartire does not answer emails)

\v/

Yes, they have lockable elements for them but I didn't bother even putting them on. With the right tool, they can be removed anyway. I typically don't even take off my V1 or GPS units. Guess I've just been lucky.

It is sad, buy I understand from friends and family that common theft is much more frequent in Europe than in most parts of the USA.

The display looks like it is good sized. Is it easy to read? The smart tire was so small that I could no longer read it unless I was stopped and shading it.

I can read it no problem, but I do move my head to put it in the bifocal reading zone. If I put it in my map pocket, it would be much closer but you'd be reading it through a plastic cover. Probably a wash.

I've had the tiregard for several months with good results. One morning I got the red flash and buzzing. My first thoughts were that the system failed (lack of faith in the system), but it was a nail in the back tire.

A note of caution, your concern about rain is well founded. The monitor is not waterproof so mine stays in the tankbag. A coworker got his wet and it no longer works.

Anyone know if you can retroactively add the BMW version TPM to an existing bike like my 2007 R1200RT and have it integrated with the Bord Computer? If yes - guessing it would require remortgaging my house to afford it against the $168 that Noel spent.

Archived