IGNORED

Waterproof Winter Glove Recommendations

moshe_levy

All-

My old Firstgear Voyagers are starting to get a little funky, so it's time for replacement. I basically have 3 sets of gloves - my FG mesh, which I used for 75% of the year, the Voyagers, which I use for +40 to +60F riding, and of course the heated gloves for sub +40F.

The Voyagers were fine - textile, light, reflective material, absolutely waterproof, and comfortable. But they're a few years old, and I see there are many alternatives now, including waterproof leather. I am not averse to buying high end gloves if they are worth it. So far I like what I see from Held (Warm & Dry), BMW Pro Winter 2, Tour Master's Elite Winter Glove, and Firstgear's TPG Cold Weather. My friend just got the TPGs and is quite happy!

Prices for these gloves (MSRP) varies from about $100 for the Firstgear to about $200 for the Held. I use these for about 2 months out of the year. Opinions from those with experience?

-MKL

I've had the Tour Master Elite Winter gloves for a couple years and I've been happy with them. The attached fitted rain cover for the gloves is a nice feature. It easily folds and zips away in the glove.

4752.jpg.6362ce2eab411f8fb66c765e6d93210b.jpg

Have you considered something like the Aerostich Triple Digit Rain Covers ?

I live in Oregon, and bought a pair early last fall. The work great. They are absolutely water proof. They fit over your regular gloves, and in addition to being dry, block a lot of wind so they add warmth too.

My glove solution looks like this:

60+ Lee Parks Deer Tours

50+ add light wool liners

40+ (or rain) add triple digit covers

40< Gerbing T5

The Deer Tour, Liner, Triple digit solution is very pack-able. It's always in my jacket pockets. When it's likely to be cold I toss the T5's in along with my heated jacket liner.

The wool liners I found at REI, they are very very thin and add an amazing amount of warmth.

I have a pair of the Held "Ice Breaker". Very nice. Top drawer all the way. Waterproof as it gets (save for the giant hole there where you put your hand in). Very well insulated. I have electric grips, and they work out nicely right down to brain damage temps (for commutes around an hour). And my hands are out in the wind on an RS.

I think the only thing better would be a top drawer electric glove. I have a Gerbings jacket and I love it, but plugging in gloves is just another layer of fiddling that I'd rather not do. If however, I planned to be on the bike all day in temps near or below 40F, I'd go with the electric.

The Ice Breaker does seem to be sized funny, so be sure to try on several pairs first. I usually wear a L or XL, but these are XXXL. I dunno, call it whatever you want, they fit.

$200 is hard to justify for gloves that you would wear only 2 months a year. Aerostich also has insulated triple digit rain covers . $57, plus shipping. Testimonial from the web site:

These insulated covers work over a pair of the Elk Skin Gauntlets down to the low teens with no electric heat. I've ridden as far as 250 miles in cold weather and experienced warmth like no other glove set even without glove liners. However they did take a few hundred miles to really break-in. I am considering a pair of the non-insulated rain covers now. My sole suggestion is the insulated covers should be easier to find on your web site under gloves!

I'm a Held fan. For most of the year I wear Held Steves. During the hottest months I wear Held Airs. Five years ago I bought Held winter waterproof gloves which they called the Held Hawk Gore Tex. As I live in north Texas they don't get worn a lot, but have held up (no pun intended :grin:) very well. As you mentioned, Held's winter/waterproof glove is now called the Held Warm n Dry (NewEnough Link). Not cheap at $200, but given my experience with Held I wouldn't hesitate in buying them if I were in the market for a cold weather and waterproof glove.

I'm a Held fan. For most of the year I wear Held Steves. During the hottest months I wear Held Airs. Five years ago I bought Held winter waterproof gloves which they called the Held Hawk Gore Tex. As I live in north Texas they don't get worn a lot, but have held up (no pun intended :grin:) very well. As you mentioned, Held's winter/waterproof glove is now called the Held Warm n Dry (NewEnough Link). Not cheap at $200, but given my experience with Held I wouldn't hesitate in buying them if I were in the market for a cold weather and waterproof glove.

Wow, those look nice. Anybody wear these in actual cold weather? I mean in the low to mid teens for an hour+. I have a pair of Tour Master Cold Front Carbons now......they are pretty warm, but a little clumsy, and NOT waterproof in any way (even though they are advertised as such).

Well, as usual for my shopping sprees at the dealer, I went in and spent way more than I intended for my new goodies.

I used my $100 XPlor coupon towards BMW's own ProWinter gloves. After trying on the Held, RevIt, Firstgear, Olympia, and other gloves, I liked BMW's best. Ahh, but to redeem the coupon, I had to spend $300 total....

So while browing, I accidentally spotted a nifty new BMW Airshell jacket, fell in love, and splurged on it. It's my first "premium" jacket. So far, very comfy! Should be a good 40-70 degree jacket. And it looks so cool, in a dorky BMW sort of way.

-MKL

I forgot about the $100 off coupon. I just got mine a few days ago. Makes me wish I had a decent dealer with BMW gear that was convenient to get to.

Archived