IGNORED

Why don't my Stebel Nautilus blow?

Huzband

I know I'm gonna catch it for the title, but I catch it anyways, so what's the diff. Here's the problem.

I've been through three Stebel Nautilus horns since I got the 12RT, about sixteen months ago. The latest is only about two months old. They all do the same thing, only blowing on one lung, always the high note. Sounds like my neighbors kids tricycle horn. :P I checked voltage at the leads to the horn. I get over 12.5, but it takes about a full second for it to get there. Is that a symptom of a deeper problem? I've read that low voltage to the horn will cook the compressor.

Wiring is this. 12 guage fused off the battery to a 40A relay, then 18g to a Centech block. 18g forward to a 30A relay, & finally 12g to the horn. Mayhaps I should have stayed with 12g all the way?

Please help, I love these horns. Oh, the first one I had, on my Honda Shadow, was still blasting strong after two years when I traded the bike.

Sounds like a BMW system......complexity for the sake of complexity

Why are you running it through the 2 relays and the Centech?

Idealy, you should run 12G wire from B+ through the 30A relay to the horn. Then use your factory horn wiring to fire the relay.

Hmm, makes sense. I do fire it off the horn switch, but I'm not sure why I wired it through the Centech. Although I'm sure Phil or Matt could come up with a reason. :/

Thanks, Keith, I'll re-evaluate the situation.

yeah man, ditch all that extra wiring and connections. You are adding voltage drops and potential problems with every connection.

Red wire from B+ to relay, Red wire from relay to the positive horn lead

Ground the negative horn lead

Use the original horn wires to fire the relay

Does the ground need to be 12g also? I have plenty red 12g, but only have 14g for ground. I can wait till tomorrow if it's important.

I can set rocker arm end-play with an axe, but electrics? I may as well use an axe for all I know.

Formerly_Capecodbeemer

From twisted throttle website;

Per the manufacturer, this horn should be mounted so that the cylinder is vertical (with the horn facing down). There should be no more than a 15 degree variance from the vertical position. If it is not mounted per these specifications, then the horn may cease to function after a period of time.

good luck.

Keith's right on with his advice. I would also add that you should mount it in a place where it's not constantly sucking in tons of water or grime. Somewhere up and tucked in behind the fairing is good. If you're out of options for mounting high and clean, try using the plastic tube supplied with the horn for the air intake, and route that high and clean.

I've had two of these suckers on my 2004 RT since late 2006, still going strong. I use them a good deal too, commuting here in NJ. See http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150rthorn.htm which is basically a synopsis of the article I wrote for MCN on the subject back in 2007.

-MKL

If you're out of options for mounting high and clean, try using the plastic tube supplied with the horn for the air intake, and route that high and clean. -MKL

Yep, keep the air clean going to the unit. Mount the horn vertically and not facing forward. I have mine on the little GS and it has been through heavy rain and keeps on working. I routed the clear intake line up behind the steering head to keep out the gunk.

Thanks for the input, but as I stated, it's not only verticle, it's also behind the oil cooler, with the intake facing to the rear.

Going on what Keith advised, I'm sure it was a wiring issue. I've now rewired it from the battery with 12G. The voltage response I get on the meter seems a bit quicker. If the horn goes off as it should, then I have my answer. On the other hand, if it doesn't, maybe I've already cooked the compressor, & need to get a new one.

At least I know it's now wired correctly.

Thanks, Keith. :wave:

Danny-

Try not mounting it behind the oil cooler, either. That's a place where the horn's just being constantly blasted with a very hot stream of air. Not good.

-MKL

I thought about that, but...

I had the same horn mounted behind the oil cooler on a KTM 950 Adv that was in place before I bought it. It was not only behind the oil cooler, it was also mounted HORIZONTILY. I never moved it, & it worked perfectly for the year I had the bike. Go figure.

I really don't think the residual heat from the oil cooler is the problem, as the oil cooler on the 12RT is front & center. Air flow ain't an issue.

(Edit) The horn's rewired, but it's a bit late (10:50 pm) to be setting it off in the 'hood. We'll see how it works tomorrow.

Danny, I had a problem with the horn not making a sound on one of my installs. It was late and I wasn't paying attention. Seems I had reversed the polarity on the wires. Pump would run, no sound.

On a lark, I plugged it in to test a circuit on something else and almost peed when it honked as I held the horn.

It's been in the GS for almost 10K miles now.

Moral of the story, make sure you have proper connections!

... peed when it honked as I held the horn.

Moral of the story, make sure you have proper connections!

In Danny's case, he should be fine. He's already in Depends. :wave:

Should you decide to give up on the Stebel, consider a pair of Fiamms. I have a pair on my RS. They do a nice job of raising the hair on the back of granny's neck. Actually my Mrs. has a Stebel on her 650, and I can't say that I can tell that there's much difference. Aside from tone, anyway.

I know I'm gonna catch it for the title, but I catch it anyways, so what's the diff. Here's the problem.

"Why don't my Stebel Nautilus blow?"

As you predicted, I am outraged by your title. It should be "Why won't my Stebel Nautilus blow?".

I really have poor luck with these horns with lasting less than a year and very light useage. Web Bike World tested them and received non working horn(s) straight from the factory as have others. I can fix most things and I could have fixed my Nautilus horns if I had been able to get ANY support from the factory. They would not return emails or phone calls. In my case the brushes went bad???? with very little use??? After their deceptive decibel loudness advertising and poor reliability and support; I would just junk them if I were you. When you NEED a horn you really NEED a horn, these are not the horn for that.

Danny, I had a problem with the horn not making a sound on one of my installs. It was late and I wasn't paying attention. Seems I had reversed the polarity on the wires. Pump would run, no sound.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...
Lone_RT_rider

I decided to revive an old thread for my own selfish purposes. :) I had the panels off the R1200RT today and was mapping out the wiring of the eager beaver horn relay kit and started to get things sorted out a bit when I ran into a few questions. Danny, since you also have an R12RT, maybe you can help.

Questions:

1. What did you do for bracketry to mount the horn itself? With the R11RT it pretty much bolted right into the stock horn location. It doesn't look like that's going to work on this one. I saw that Danny mounted it behind the cooler, have any pics of that?

2. The connector for the stock horn looks like a DIN style automotive connector rather than the blade type that most horns need. Of course the relay harness has the blade type of connector. I take it I am going to have to do some splicing here? Has anyone possibly taken the stock horn apart and scavenged the male connectors so that the wiring harness on the bike can stay intact? Are there any other creative connector solutions out there?

3. I THINK that I can run the wires without yanking the tank. Yes, I know it would be cleaner if I just pull the tank, but....well.... I just wondered if anyone had any success doing this without pulling the tank?

That's all I can think of at this point. I had a punch list of things I was going to do to the bike before BRR and this was one of them. I kind of gave up on this one and did the rest. I figured I would gather some intel before I dove in and had bigger issues with what I tried to achieve.

Shawn

I've got one on my '09:

1) Stock bracket for the stock (single) horn - fits fine.

2) Mine had blades stock.

3) No tank removal required.

-MKL

Lone_RT_rider

2) Mine had blades stock.

I guess I just got lucky and have the DIN connector, if you want to call it luck.

I take it back - got confused between my old and new RTs. Just went outside and took a look at my stock horn - DIN connector. Cut it off the harness and crimp some blades on. Sorry 'bout the misinformation....

-MKL

So, Phil, you got a Nautilus on that there K13GT? :grin:

Nope, I'm on a GT. At that speed there is no sound. ;)

Cool- I guess you finally got it running huh?? :S

Archived