IGNORED

Warm weather riding jacket

Capt'n

I just moved from Vermont to the hills of upstate South Carolina and my Firstgear Kilomanjaro jacket is really warm even with all the vents opened up.

Does any on have any recommendations for a cooler (Temp) protective riding jackets?

Have an HD Hydration H20 mesh, which is more comfortable than my old Joe Rocket mesh. And the HD logos come blacked out and barely visible, an added plus while riding a BMW.

I've had Firstgear mesh jackets for 10 years. They are a great value, fit well, and last a good long time. Only Firstgear's horrendously cheap zippers are suspect, but when they break (they always do) you can just substitute a key ring.

Up until now I've been using the FG mesh almost all year, switching to a Kili (first generation - still going strong) in late fall and into winter.

However, I just got a BMW "Airshell" this week and am totally blown away by its quality and performance. Without its waterproof and windproof liner, it flows nearly as much air as the FG mesh - yet with the liner in, I commuted to work today in 45 degrees while staying toasty warm.

There is absolutely no comparison between the BMW and Firstgear items, though admittedly the BMW costs about 5-6x what the Firstgear mesh costs on sale. But after treating myself to a high quality piece of gear like this, I don't think I'll ever go back to the bargain brands again. There really is a difference, one that is readily apparent after a few miles. Now I finally get what you guys with the premium Aerostich, BMW, and other high priced gear have been raving about. I now plan to slowly convert all of my gear to top shelf as budget allows.

-MKL

Just purchased another Olympia Airglide 2 jacket. It's the best mesh jacket I have found and I like it better than my BMW Airflow 3 which is MUCH more expensive. And the Olympia comes with an excellent waterproof liner jacket.

The Airglide 2 is available HERE at the closeout price of $159...a bargain!

Lets_Play_Two
Just purchased another Olympia Airglide 2 jacket. It's the best mesh jacket I have found and I like it better than my BMW Airflow 3 which is MUCH more expensive. And the Olympia comes with an excellent waterproof liner jacket.

+1

+2 The Olympia is constructed with a softer fabric so it is very comfortable, and as Rich said, the liner is almost worth the $155.

Just ordered another at that price to replace my 4 year old one. (Even though it's far from being worn out)

Paul has pointed out a great deal -- the FG Torrent is a great jacket for $65.

I replaced my FG Kilimanjaro Air (destroyed in a deer collision) with a FG about 18 months ago (purchased at full price, unfortunately!). It's a nice jacket, well built. In the same nominal size (Small), the Kilimanjaro was baggy; the Torrent is snug; the difference in sizing for 3/4 length jackets from the same manufacturer is surprising. The Kilimanjaro held up well after sliding 100 feet on asphalt; the Torrent appears to be even better put together, with riveted and stiched reinforcements at shoulders and elbows.

Likes: Flows air well, zipper + Velcro cuffs, snaps instead of a velcro closure over the main zipper, chest and waist pockets, inner cell phone pocket, plus a zippered inner pocket and an 8x8 inner pocket with a velcro closure. Loop for gloves or keys below left chest pocket, decent reflective stripes, mates with my FG mesh overpants.

Dislikes: Very slim cut, made worse by a main zipper that is too long. I remedied this by having a tailor shorten the zipper by 4". The loop velcro on the collar closure is not big enough; it was easy enough to replace it with a piece of velcro 4" long. The fanny pocket is almost useless; it will hold some ear plugs and glove liners, and that's about it.

Unlike the Kilimanjaro, the Torrent waterproof liner is not insulated. I prefer to get my insulation from thin layers, and an uninsulated liner packs down smaller.

Thank you all for giving me the great tips on a protective jacket for warm weather. I have a Christmas list started and this is one of the top items that I am asking to be considered.

Is there a big difference between the Olympia Airglide 2 and 3?

Capt'n

Just received today my FG Torrent jacket from Newenough. Looks good, fits well. It may be the best $76 (incl. shipping) I spent on bike related stuff. I hope you'll see it in July at the UN. Riding cross-country in July it might be just the right thing.

I didn't think there was an Airglide 3 jacket - just Airglide 2. Did you see this somewhere?

I didn't think there was an Airglide 3 jacket - just Airglide 2. Did you see this somewhere?

There must be a 3 on the way --the 2 is being offered at closeout.

I have the 1 and the only difference I could ever find with the 2 was styling. Apparently they freshen up the look every 2 years of so but it's the same jacket.

• 2 weeks later...
Just received today my FG Torrent jacket from Newenough. Looks good, fits well. It may be the best $76 (incl. shipping) I spent on bike related stuff. I hope you'll see it in July at the UN. Riding cross-country in July it might be just the right thing.

Mine arrived last Friday. Tried it out Sunday. Nice jacket!

Relative to my FG leather (with liner), I thought it would have been much cooler. Nope.

With a fleece under, at 50F, you are real cozy. Can't wait til when it gets warm again.

Archived