IGNORED

Update for Garmin Street Pilot 2610

MattP

I have a Garmin SP2610 that I love. It's big and clunky and it works just fine.

The map software is Street Navigator v7, which looks to be quite out of date (from 2006 I believe). Garmin's website isn't as helpful as I'd like. Can someone tell me if an of the current Street Navigator versions would work on the SP2610? Thanks in advance for your help!

Where did you find it for $75? The site has it for $99.

I always get confused between Street Navigator/City Navigator/Mapsource. I have Mapsource 6.15.6 loaded on my PC now. Is that just the program which accesses the City Navigator data?

Where did you find it for $75? The site has it for $99.

Try this Go to Garmin.com and log-in to your my-garmin account.

There is a tab called click on that.

If you have registered your GPS, it show

my products maps associated with that GPS

2610 City Navigator North America v7 - DVD

click on the details link and you will find the $75 update.

Hope that clears it up - or, call Garmin's customer service for help.

Thanks for the instructions. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I know I registered the 2610, but I don't know if I set up an account. I'll see if I can get that far...

(edit: just tried and apparently I don't have an account set up already)

(edit^2: just set up an account, clicked through various menus and ended up on a page pointing me to an update for "City Navigator North America 2009". That seems different than the "2610 City Navigator North America v7 - DVD" mentioned above. Are those the same animal?

Bill in Vermont

I just checked my 2610 through the Garmin and My Account and My Maps as suggested. I upgraded to City Navigator North America 2009 a year or more ago. The website responded and said there are no updates available. So, if you haven't upgraded that far, I guess you can do so at this time, but I understand that the 2610 is no longer supported and there will be no new map updates. So, I assume that the 2009 maps are the last and the final.

09 is the final version for the 2610, same as everyone else has until the next version is released, at which point we will get lost in the newer tract housing developments.... :)

Just call them, you will be on hold for a while but it is worth it...have the computer on and the GPS hooked up to it....

easier said than done! I went to the garmin site, clicked on "contact us", then clicked on "Call or email product support", which led to a page that looked like this:

North America
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

North America - Consumer Products
(for all Garmin products except Apollo aircraft)

Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM, Friday 8 AM - 5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

US: 
US Toll Free: 
Canada: 

E-mail Product Support

Note the absence of any phone numbers! It's like they don't want to talk to anyone.

Be that as it may, I see from the next 2 responses that the 09 version is probably as good as it will get for me. Thanks for the help; I'm going to order the updates. (and then hope it doesn't screw up when I do the actual update itself!)

Nice n Easy Rider
Just call them, you will be on hold for a while but it is worth it...have the computer on and the GPS hooked up to it....

easier said than done! I went to the garmin site, clicked on "contact us", then clicked on "Call or email product support", which led to a page that looked like this:

North America
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM, Friday 8 AM - 5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

US: 
US Toll Free: 
Canada: 

E-mail Product Support

Note the absence of any phone numbers! It's like they don't want to talk to anyone.

Be that as it may, I see from the next 2 responses that the 09 version is probably as good as it will get for me. Thanks for the help; I'm going to order the updates. (and then hope it doesn't screw up when I do the actual update itself!)

I just pulled this up from their website:

US: 913-397-8200

US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020

Canada: 1-866-429-9296

Garmin doesn't want to talk to anyone? Thats silly. There are lots of places to get phone numbers. Should have clicked on another link when you searched for Garmin.

So I ordered the "City Navigator North America 2009" and it came yesterday. Do I need to uninstall the previous version or will it install over it without any problems?

The only thing the DVD said by way of instructions was to put it in, let it autostart and then when asked for the code say "don't have it" and follow instructions from there. There was no mention of uninstalling previous versions first.

After getting it installed on my PC, do I then connect the 2610 and download all the maps I want? Do I need to wipe the existing ones off the 2610 first?

TIA,

So I ordered the "City Navigator North America 2009" and it came yesterday. Do I need to uninstall the previous version or will it install over it without any problems?

The only thing the DVD said by way of instructions was to put it in, let it autostart and then when asked for the code say "don't have it" and follow instructions from there. There was no mention of uninstalling previous versions first.

After getting it installed on my PC, do I then connect the 2610 and download all the maps I want? Do I need to wipe the existing ones off the 2610 first?

TIA,

Note I have a BMW Nav III+ which I think is very similar to the SP2820.

When I got the update DVD from Garmin (Aus version) I just installed the update version onto the PC without removing the original install. I then just connected the GPS & updated that. When I go into the GPS I can select from several maps now but just use the latest which for me is Australia 2009. I then got the webupdate (lifetime for $189) & it told me there was another update (2010.20) which I installed (took ages)

When you look at Mapsource I can now select from City Nav Aus v7, City Nav Aus 2008, City Nav Aus & NZ NT 2010.2 & City Nav Aus & NZ NT 2010.1

Needless to say I use the latest update 2010.2.

Confusing to say the least but it works...

Cheers Teddy

Confusing to say the least but it works...

Cheers Teddy

uhhhh, yeah! Guess I'll just install it and pray. I think I'll leave out the webupdate thingee and just use whatever is on the dvd.

thanks for the info.

Archived