IGNORED

tire advice

taters

i bought a set of pr2s about 2 weeks ago....i went to ride today and the rear tire is flat... i have a truck coming to put air in the tire in about 30 minutes.. i am going to wait until tomorrow to ride to see if there is a leak,or a slow leak..is it possible for the air to leak out of the tire in a few days without the tire being injured? i would not think so.

just an aside. this is my second set of pr2s. the first set lasted 8500 miles. actually i could have rode them longer but since the dealer ship is closing i decided to put another set on now. i don't know why but these tire have much more grip and i really feel in control with them as opossed to my first set..i couldn't begin to figure out why.

guy just came and filled it with air....we found a tiny nail embedded in one of the grooves..guess i just gotta replace the tire....only has about 200 miles on it. rats....could have been worse... i found it needed air right in my driveway....thanks

Taters, you can patch the tire with a $5.00 plug-patch from NAPA parts. I have used them and they work great, last one was on a PR2! I just replaced the PR2 and the patch inside the tire looked just like it did 6 months ago when I patched it. But either you or a friend will have to do the work--most dealers don't want to fool with patching tires.

Or, you can just UPS the tire to me and I'll send you the UPS charges plus $10. :grin: I assume its for an RT..?

Edit--just saw its for an 1150--not sure if its the same size tire--mine uses 120/70 ZR17 )

Napa Part # is 7101145. Go to Napa online and search for that number. The cost you'll see is for a box of them but Napa stores sell them individually. It is a rubber patch with an integral plug that is covered with a metal sheath to keep it rigid while inserting thru the hole from the inside of the tire. You pull the sheath off after inserting it. It also has self adhesive but you need to rough up the inside tire surface and apply "universal rubber cement" to the surface and hole and let dry before applying the patch. Since its all one piece, no way for the plug to get blown out. They work!

The inside of your tire will have ridges (my PR2 did) so use a wire brush or abrasive wheel in your electric drill to rough it up and remove the ridges.

Or UPS it to me. :wave:

BobbyBob,

Nice picture of your C172. I have a Christian Husky and 1997 R1100RT and just moved from Vermont to Clemson, SC. Can you give me some recommendation on some local day or two day rides that you enjoy?

Keep Flying & riding,

Capt'n

Or, you could order a Cycle Hill tire changer (the one I have) for $365, patch it yourself, and the savings from that one tire will pay over 1/2 the cost of the changer. :thumbsup:

Taters if you have a Cycle Gear store near you run over and pick up a streetbike plug kit and swing by pepboys and pick up one of the little bitty "Slime" air compressors. The plug kit is around 20 bucks and the compressor is 30 ( the comp is around 5"x7" and 2-3" thick) after you plug the tire put all the stuff in a ziplock bag and toss it in your side case. You'll save a ton of cash and be able to save some one stranded on the side of the rode with a flat one day, which pays off in HUGE karma points and alot of the time gets you a friend for life not to mention the fact that you won't be stranded yourself waiting on a towtruck due to a screw or nail ever again...

EDIT: Cut Cyclegear out of the loop if ypu like and right by the little compressor at pepboys they have the Red gooey (technical term) rope plugs and kits, use those. They work great and are the same as the ones at the bike store for 1/2 the cash...

Cool, I would still invest in the comp and plugs though. You never know when you may need them, kinda like jumper cables. All other tools aside a set of jumpers and a plug kit are the most usefull tools one can carry cause they'll get you home most times.

Archived