IGNORED

Gerbing G5 question

Moto-Moto

I was given a set of Gerbing G5 gloves, a Temp Controller and Glove harness. The bike that these were on were sold before I could get the harness off the bike. My question is what is the best way to power the Gerbing gloves, direct wire to battery, SAE to Gerbing connector (battery Tender cord that is hard wired) or accessory port plug to one of the two on the left side of the 1150rt?

I plan to order a Centech shortly as I need to clean up the electrics (GPS, Battery Ten, Radio, Autocom), so i figured I would ask this group which wiring is the best for long term convenience and power consumption and ability to add other Gerbing items.

Thanks

Matt

If you plan on adding a jacket liner, direct or via fuse panel to battery is generally more reliable than the accessory port ... although you will find some folks who say the accessory port works fine for them.

You can choose to power off your accessory port. The 1150 doesn't have CANbus. Or you can go battery-direct using a Gerbing Battery Harness. Powering off of a Centech seems like overkill. The Centech is best used for items that are relativly permanent to the motorcycle, rather than for something that is going to be disconnected every time you get off the bike. Additionally, since the battery on the 1150RT is right between your legs, and you want the power lead coming out from the forward left edge of the seat, it makes going battery-direct very convenient.

What plug seems best for plugging and unplugging lots? (Not SAEs.)

What plug and location will complain least when you hop off the bike and forget to unplug yourself. If I were smarter, I could figure out some kind of 15A connector that holds together with magnets. Actually, the Gerbring "coax" plugs (AKA NASA RCA plugs) are pretty good for the kind of Alzheimer-moments I have when I forget to unplug.

Like with a lot of bike things, do a mock-up and see where you like the cable runs. I find the accessory socket just fine for max length when dismounted and minimum tangle when mounted.

thank you all. I think I am going to order the Battery Harness or try and find one locally. Then the Centech will come later for all the other crap.

Thanks again.

thank you all. I think I am going to order the Battery Harness or try and find one locally. Then the Centech will come later for all the other crap.

Thanks again.

The Gerbing stuff is made nice but no fuss making your own harness if you are using ordinary SAE connectors. You can make the wires as long as you like provided the wire gauge is adequate.

Archived