IGNORED

Air Compressor

Bob Smith

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I've got a 6 gallon pancake style compressor that came with a brand name nailer set. It seems to fit the bill, didn't cost a lot, and came with some other tools that I've since put to use.

The thing it doesn't have (that I can think of) is a way to put a huge volume of air into the tire all at once, to get the beads to seal. The alternative method is to put a ratchet strap around the circumfirance of the tire and tighten.

YMMV.

Joe Frickin' Friday

The typical 5-gallon, 5-horsepower compressor from Home Depot or the like is adequate. You can even get by with less. The only time you run into problems is when the bead isn't sealing well enough initially to allow you to build up any kind of pressure in the tire (to fill/seat the bead). If you've got a big-ass compressor tank that can give you a huge volume of air sometimes it will make the bead seal; if not, the alternative is to punch the tire around a bit and/or use straps to force the bead to make that initial seal. Using these techniques, you can get by with a smaller compressor tank that takes up less space in your garage (and wallet).

Yep, I have a pancake from Homedespot that was 179 and came with nail guns. Works fine for tires and nailing, not so much for running impacts and die grinders. If you have air tools and plan on doing more than just tires with the compressor I would go bigger and get at least a 30 gallon that runs 10scfm@90psi. That is big enough to power air ratchets, impacts, and other "air hungry" tools and will set a bead purty darn quick with out waiting 10 minutes for it to build pressure back up.

I've been using the $10 WallyWorld portable 12 volt compressor that I carry with me. It takes a little while :lurk: but has no problems getting the tires to seat and inflate. Have done the last four tire changes this way.

I've got a 5 gal 125# compressor that seems to do the job. One of the keys is to inflate the tire WITHOUT THE valve stem first. It allows a lot of air to go in quickly and seat the bead. Then put the valve stem back in and inflate to your spec. Never had a problem this way.

One of the keys is to inflate the tire WITHOUT THE valve stem first. It allows a lot of air to go in quickly and seat the bead. Then put the valve stem back in and inflate to your spec. Never had a problem this way.

Yeah, I wish I knew this before I struggled for hours, gave up, paid a dealer 40 bucks the next day, then visited this board. Well worth repeating. :thumbsup:

The old rancher method was to get a small compressor and hook it up to a big scrap 6" dia. by 10' long pipe with welded ends mounted on the wall. This gave you a larger air reservoir for running air tools, seating tires, etc.. It also allowed multiple hookups of air tools at the same time with additional quick disconnects. Your air compressor doesn't turn on or off as much too. Essentially a 20 gallon tank added to the compressor tank volume.

I wish I had thought of the remove the tire stem to seat the bead idea. I had extreme problems with one tire once (I have done hundreds) and that is something I did not try. Live and learn.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I've got a 5 gal 125# compressor that seems to do the job. One of the keys is to inflate the tire WITHOUT THE valve stem first. It allows a lot of air to go in quickly and seat the bead. Then put the valve stem back in and inflate to your spec. Never had a problem this way.

I'm just being a stickler for terminology here, as I'm sure we all understand each other.

Remove the core, not the stem. Great idea, never thought of it.

I know the old ranchers didn't care about this stuff, but in the interest of modern safety; well there is a lot of stored energy captive in a pressure vessel.

A vessel that large should be code labeled and equipped with a pressure gauge, pressure relief valve and a manual drain valve.

Kind of Ironic that I engage in inherently hazardous activities (like motorcycling) but am concernd about stuff like this?

Archived