IGNORED

Aftermarket Heated Grips for R1100RT...anyone have them?

migrant

I did and they work great. Didn't have to waste the grip either but eventually replaced the grip with a foam type touring grip. I put the toggle lo/off/hi switch in the unused rocker switch by the emergency flasher and ABS rocker. Just took out the unused toggle, drilled a hole for the toggle switch in the center of the rocker and mounted it back on the rocker panel. Looks fine and works great. Make sure you have them fused and wired into a switched circuit. There is a connector tied to the frame on the left side of the bike, should be able to see it with the left shell removed. Think it is actually the connector for the factory heated grips.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Just completed that install.

Ordered a factory switch from Max and put it into the proper space. Found the white connector under the left mirror on the frame, cut it off and wired out to the new grip heaters. Not a big job at all.

Do not take the tank off per any online blurbs you may find. Just the left side tupperware.

I also have a '00 R1100RT

Did mine 2 yrs ago...bought the kit from dual star.

www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit.htm

I also replaced some worn out foam grips with new BMW grips, as well as ordered the dash switch.

Air compressor trick made removal easy...

lov'em this time of year

Air compressor trick made removal easy...

Not sure I understand your comment. Did you put an air lance under the grip and work it back and forth to break the adhesion?

I'm surprised by the quick responses. After doing a search it seemed as though factory grip heaters were the norm. Thanks.

What you state is how the air hose works but I used a thin blade screwdriver working it carefully all around the bar and inching in a little at a time. When I had the heat grids on the bar, I just slid the grips back on without grip glue. Never have twisted in several years of use probably because of residual glue inside the grip.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Ditto on the screwdriver. Small dia phillips and rolled it under the grip to break the slight bond.

Use the air compressor to blow a string down the handlebar to fish the wires for the grip heaters.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some photos for the next person doing this. Wiring below the left mirror is for the radio option. They were zip-tied to the wiring harness waiting to be used. Purple and black striped wire is power, brown is ground. The others are speakers and control connector. I only used the power and ground.

IMG_0049.jpg

Here's the hole for the switch. It requires a 13/16" hole. I scribed it and used a file to size it after drilling a 3/8" hole. If I had it to do over, the hole would be slightly to the left. The speedometer has a side connection that is close to interfering with the wire connectors on the switch. Moving it to the left would have given more clearance.

IMG_0050.jpg

Here's the rocker switch mounted above the standard switches. The BMW switch in the left hand position normally housing the heated grip switch is an on-off switch for the windshield. Previous owner had it installed. Since it is a 2 position switch and not a hi-off-low switch, I chose to use the rocker switch that came with the grip kit.

IMG_0057.jpg

A victim of my inexperience...the radio connection stays on with the key off. I'll have to wire in a relay or find the REAL wiring for the heated grips. The wiring diagram says it is green with blue stripe, but I couldn't find it. In the meantime I'll make sure the switch is OFF when the bike is parked.

So much for the pictures I just posted.

What does that on-off switch do for the windshield?

When the wheel is turned fully to the left, the handlebar switch for the windshield would hit the tank bag and move the shield. Previous owner found that annoying so he had the dealer install a dash switch to disable the handlebar switch.

Archived