IGNORED

Gerbing permanent controller question

johnlt

I just finished the install of the permanent single controller and all seems to work fine. It is wired directly to the battery and when it is switched on, the little lights blinks even though nothing is plugged into it. Is this normal and if I forget and leave it turned on, even though there is nothing plugged in, will it be a draw on the battery? Fernando, you out there?

John, those little permanent controllers are pulse width modulated so they will pulse even though there is no load on the output side (so you are working A-OK there)

As far a running the battery down if you leave it on a long time? that is possible.. That little LED won’t draw very much & I doubt the circuit board draws very much so it probably won’t run the battery down in hurry but if left on long enough it is a patristic load on your battery so will eventually run it down..

Twisty

Mine's set up the exact same way. Never had a problem, but I've never forgotten and left it "on", either. Personally, I don't like any of my electrons slipping by for no good reason, so I keep thinking I'll get out there and re-wire it with a relay. But I've been lazy.

The other side of that coin is that if you turn it down, but still "on", it's likely to fool your average thief into thinking it's an alarm unit.

Of course I'm too stingy with my electrons, so I haven't tried it. But I figure it might come in handy if I'm stranded in a crappy neighborhood...

Archived