IGNORED

Not so quiet ear plugs?

VinnyR11

Sorry for yet another ear plug thread, but I couldn't find an answer in search.

My R11RT had a big Aeroflow shield that was extremely quiet in almost all conditions, so I never needed ear plugs.

I like the amount of airflow on the new R12RT windscreen (stock), but especially on windy days at highway speeds the noise gets tiring. I've tried a couple of ear plugs, but they are almost dead quiet, and I'd rather ride with the wind noise than almost total silence.

I'm looking for only a slight attenuation to take the edge off. I know an aftermarket screen may be a fix, but I'd much rather save the $$ and not reduce the airflow for summers if possible.

Can anyone recommend ear plugs that are very comfortable but not so quiet?

Have you tried just not inserting the earplugs completely? They generally lose effectiveness very fast if not fully inserted, in fact I have the opposite problem as you as I hate getting underway only to find that I didn't insert a plug properly and have to listen to wind noise in one ear or the other. But if you really want designed-in partial performance Etymotic makes a line of universal and custom fit plugs with calibrated attenuation (for musicians and concert-goers who need some hearing protection but also want to hear the music.) These might be what you're looking for.

Also FWIW I'll note that wind noise can be damaging to hearing even at well below annoying levels if the exposure period is long.

I use the little MAX brand foam earplugs. They do exactly what you want and easy to use. You can get them at Amazon for about $20.- for 200.

1. If a biker had the cash, you can get molded "musician's earplugs" that can be sound-shaped to your needs.

2. I have some professional acquaintance with acoustics and find some of the hearing-loss scare stories excessive. But for sure, you don't want to stress your hearing any more than you need to.

3. The issue with noise and windscreens is very much related to specifics of flow. You can have much less noise by keeping the turbulence above or below your ears. I like to make my own windscreens. But some shops make them custom too. An easy fix is to use Saeng edging which gives the airflow about a 2 inch boost and you can attached a small piece just at the center of your windscreen if you don't like the way it looks much. It really works - but not for bugs!

4. Having a windscreen at the right angle is important too.

You might try checking out what the local pharmacy carries.

Most disposable plugs have an attenuation number listed on the packaging.

Try a few plugs to see if you can determine a desirable range, then look on the internet for plugs in that attenuation range.

A good manufacturer is below. Look at page 47 for attenuation specifications.

http://www.howardleight.com/uploads/File/pdf/Product_brochure/HLI101_Howard_Leight_Product_Selection_Guide_2008.pdf

I use the Laser Lite disposable plug which is very quiet. I buy in bulk online (box of 100 pairs) for a very reasonable cost.

Yeah. All of 'em. I wear earplugs all the time and I commonly forget that I've got 'em in. Hours later, I'll be watching TV and Lori will complain that it's turned up too high. Generally if I need 'em, I with they were rated for 90decibels.

They're rated by decibels. Most are 29 - 33db. The lowest I see at www.lss.com is about 22. E.A.R. "E-Z-INS"

http://www.labsafety.com/store/Safety_Supplies/Hearing_Protection/Disposable_Earplugs/

Edit: The catalog shows "E-Z-INS", but I don't see them on the website. Perhaps it's the "E-Z-FIT"?

Yeah, like most, they're rated at 33db.

Sometime's I'll use earplugs and earmuffs together. Like down in the engine room. Nuthin' like being in a small enclosed space with a Detroit Diesel running at 4200rpm.... Crikey!

Yeah, like most, they're rated at 33db.

Sometime's I'll use earplugs and earmuffs together. Like down in the engine room. Nuthin' like being in a small enclosed space with a Detroit Diesel running at 4200rpm.... Crikey!

In your case, it's likely that the combo plug/muff is the only solution, however:

Take a closer look at the frequency specific attenuation levels. NRR is overly simplistic (as any single number will be) and is not a true "dB" attenuation measurement. One can select plugs to attenuate more or less at different frequencies. (Compare Laser Lites to the MAX plugs as an example).

For motorcycle use, I like the Laser Lites. Enough low frequency gets through to keep me in touch with the mechanical function of the bike, but wind noise is virtually totally blocked.

Interesting. I'll have to look at that a little more closely. I have noted that some earplugs seem to be better than others, even though they have the same NRR.

Wow! Great minds and all of that...

I love the interactivity of the motorcycling environment and to me that means hearing the engine, the wind, and whatever else can be heard but not damaging my already iffy hearing (turbine-powered MBT's wreck hearing fast).

So, after using two whole boxes of the typical 33nr UF style plugs and finding them very comfortable but a bit too isolating, I happened across EarPlug Superstore's Trial Pack

trialpack.gif

For ~20$ you get 58 pairs (yes, 58!) of 29 different types (2 pair each) of disposable foam earplugs. They come in many different sizes, although most are of the medium-large typical size, and many different colors and several nrr levels from 23 - 33. There are mostly UF soft foam earplugs with a smattering of PVC in the bag. I am an advocate of disposable earplugs as I know someone who inadvertently got some kind of infection from reusing plugs that interfered with his balance. Yikes!

I have been diligently trying out up to two diffferent types each day I ride (sometimes one type in each ear) and making notes as to comfort, sound level and ease of insertion/removal.

So far I have tried 6 different ones with the following notes:

moldex-goingreen.jpg

1. MOLDEX Going Green 33nrr UF - Standard moldex which are comfortable, easy to use, easy to remove, and VERY quiet

moldex-meteors.jpg

2. MOLDEX Meteors 33nrr UF - Larger, slight pressure, very quiet, too bulky

moldex-trafficcones.jpg

3. MOLDEX Traffic Cones 23nrr UF - very narrow at tip, too small for right ear canal, great idea, wonderful engine noise, wind noise a bit too much, too bad they are too small

north-decidamp.jpg

4. North Deci-damp 29nrr PVC - a bit stiff, too short to easily remove, somewhat less quiet than the moldex, but still pretty quiet

ear-taperfit2.jpg

5. EAR Taperfit II 32nrr UF - small, hard to hold, jelly-like texture, less nr than typical, comfy for long distances

ear-earsoftfx.jpg

6. EAR EARsoft FX 33nr UF - jelly like, soft, large, hard to remove

Tonight I will be trying out the Howard Leight Multimax which have two different sized ends, are made with soft UF and have a nrr of 31. I am hopeful!

howardleight-multimax.jpg

Other plugs I am looking forward to are the Howard Leight MaxLite(30nrr), Multi-Max(31nrr) and Matrix Average(29nrr); the 3M 1100(29nrr); the Econ Safety Veratti(32); and the Macks Safe Sound Slim(29nrr).

My suggestion would be to order the trial pack and play around like I am. Everyone's ears are shaped a bit different and what might fit me well might not fit you. I've already noticed that the slimmest of the earplugs in this pack fit my left ear but don't seal my right ear. I have also found that not all earplugs from the same manufacturer with the same nrr and material fit the same or sound the same.

Once I find the perfect earplug I will order a box and keep them in the garage. I have dealt with EPSS in the past and they have always been prompt with accurate orders.

Or you can just wait my my future comprehensive review that may or may not ever get done :P

JT

I got the trial pack also from EarPlug Superstore. Finally settled on Max Lite's. Great way to sample many different ear plugs. Should have taken notes like you did. Very fast service from them.

When on the highway, where the wind noise warrents serious attenuation, ear plug and sound isolating ear buds are often not enough with my helmet. It is very loud. Then, as you say, it is too quiet with these high attenuation plugs when I'm not at high speed. It is hard to hear a car next to you.

My first thought is to fix the extremely loud wind noise of my Arai Profile (my current winter project). Then, I thought of mixing in a microphone (which is somehow isolated from wind noise) to my Zumo GPS audio. Yeh, it will probably be far more complex than I need and will scrap the project. But I share your thoughts. Good luck!

I've worked in occupational safety for 30 years and have some knowledge of hearing protection. Asking others for advice on which ear plug is best is a lot like asking which shoe/boot is best. Just like feet, ear canals come in varying widths and lengths, so the only way to assure a great fit is to spend for custom ear plugs, especially if one lies to the extremes of canal size. But, that being said, most of us can find a compressible plug that can fit the bill (canal). I get free samples so I've tried many brands and find I like plugs that have the softest resilience. They tend to be more comfortable over continual days (and nights) of use. The NRR of the softest plugs may be a little lower than some, but I wouldn't rely on NRR for anything more than a relative guide. And, I think that is what the OP was asking about. Howard Leight and 3-M have some really good products.

At the bike shows, there are always custom-mold vendors. These kinds of plugs have various advantages and disadvantages - I use mine also for swimming where your ears take a beating too. About $50-60. Oddly, they are not among the best noise reducers and so might suit you.

Hearing loss tends to be (1) loudness and (2) length of exposure, compounded is some way that isn't really predictable except by very crude averages. As far as I know, you are not doing permanent damage by a single experience unless your trip falls into the compound situation. In other words, a short, medium noisy trip might result in no loss even if you did it every day of the year... once. That's my impression and maybe others know better.

But I don't think my earlier point was made well. When you have a noxious condition, the best treatment is always what is called control "at source." So first think about why you are getting a lot of noise and do what fixing you can. Then consider the earplugs next.

These might be worth a look. I have no affiliation with the company and have not used this product. I have ordered ear plugs from them in the past.

link

HearPlugz-DF

We have just been award the "Product of the Year" for this uniquely designed filtered earplug. Its technology is based on a variable filtering system. Meaning, if the noise levels go up, the noise suppression will also go up... and vice-versa.

It's available in two different colors choices and three different sizes. The secondary filter can be removed for further penetration of the users ambient noise levels or the necessity of being hooked up to two-way radio communications.

http://www.proplugs.com/

I like them better than custom fit for general attenuation. I used to use the expensive musician's plugs (for music, I'm a drummer). Custom ones are $130+ and the Doc's are about $10 each. More comfortable. You can find them at scuba diving shops.

Thanks to all for the input and recommendations!

Luckily, most of the suggestions above aren't that expensive, so I'm going to try out a few of them.

If I find something that really works well for me, I'll post an update.

These work for me. You can put different filters in them depending on noise level. The best this is the tiny speakers attached to air tubes that plug into my Zumo

Earplugs.jpg

I just fitted a Ztechniq Vstream windshield on my RT, and the noise reduction on the highway is amazing compared to the stock screen!

I'll still use ear plugs, but appreciate this article for some less isolating options...

I just fitted a Ztechniq Vstream windshield on my RT, and the noise reduction on the highway is amazing compared to the stock screen!

I'll still use ear plugs, but appreciate this article for some less isolating options...

Right. Fix at source. I use ear plugs only when my exposure will be long and loud, like superslab riding - because, like you, I don't like the isolation from road and bike noise.

I'm not sure as windscreens differ a lot in their inherent "noise" as much as whether turbulent flow hits you at ear level (or above or below).

Right. Fix at source. I use ear plugs only when my exposure will be long and loud, like superslab riding - because, like you, I don't like the isolation from road and bike noise.

I'm not sure as windscreens differ a lot in their inherent "noise" as much as whether turbulent flow hits you at ear level (or above or below).

In general I agree with you. A different windscreen will much more than likely fix the noise problem. BTW, I checked out the Vstream shields and they look really nice.

Swapping shields fixed the noise on my last bike, but I'm trying to reduce the excess noise while keeping a good airflow for warm days which the stock shield does well in the low position. I'd rather not swap summer/winter windscreens like I did with my old bike, plus if I can find a fix for $25 that would be great.

I know a shield may be the final answer, but I'm going to give this a shot first.

In general I agree with you. A different windscreen will much more than likely fix the noise problem. BTW, I checked out the Vstream shields and they look really nice.

Swapping shields fixed the noise on my last bike, but I'm trying to reduce the excess noise while keeping a good airflow for warm days which the stock shield does well in the low position. I'd rather not swap summer/winter windscreens like I did with my old bike, plus if I can find a fix for $25 that would be great.

I know a shield may be the final answer, but I'm going to give this a shot first.

You may already have done this fully, but for others: Step One is to use a bare hand to trace out the air flows coming off the windscreen at speed esp. in relation to the height of your ears. Then to see what adjustments are possible (including Saeng edging, winglets, minor surgery, etc.).

Modifying a windscreen relates to safety and so shouldn't be undertaken without due forethought and care and low speed testing.

• 9 months later...

Back in December I said I'd post an update when I found ear plugs that fit my desire for plugs that toned things down but weren't dead quiet.

Paul's recommendation turned out to be the best for me. (Thanks!) I found the Max Lite, Howard Leight LPF-1 earplugs to be absolutely perfect. I can still hear some light wind and much to my liking engine noise, but both are very well managed. It's much quieter, but I still feel like I'm riding a bike and haven't gone deaf.

I now adjust my windscreen solely for wind comfort and not for noise suppression. Riding with it completely down at highway speeds for hours is no longer tiring.

The plugs are also very comfortable. A nice plus is that each pair is individually packaged so it's dead easy to just throw them in your tank bag, or wherever and they stay paired and clean until you use them.

You can find them on Amazon HERE. 20 bucks for 200 pair. Not a bad deal IMO.

Ironically, in my experience with earplugs, custom earplugs attenuate less than the foam generic earplugs. Might be my huge ears though! :)

Strange, but those are the accepted numbers.

I find custom earplugs are a pretty good "Goldilocks" solution.

Ben

Archived