IGNORED

Riding with a Magsbags

curlesw

Considering a Magsbags, would like to hear how these fit from a passenger's perspective:

- getting on and off, more difficult? no difference? bearable?

- while sitting, enough room? what about leg space?

- back support, what do you use?

I need more storage space (camping) and this seems like a good option. Honestly, not my favorite, would prefer a flat cargo rack on the rear instead of the large luggage rack, it's too heavy and inefficient wrt space.

Thanks.

Wayne

05 RT

My passenger likes ours.

I added a piece of wood, as wide as the bag is, by bolting it to my GIVI rear rack.

DSC01209.jpg

I use Rokstraps, frame loops, and also run a long strap under the seat.

With these tie down points the load is secure and the rear wood supports and stabilizes the bag.

The strap under the seat is used to take some of the weight off the saddlebags where the Ubag rests above them.

Easy access to the Mag's bag and the rain cover works well.

We fit a huge amount of gear in it.

getting on/off

Depends on passenger but it is not bad when the passenger folds leg across seat instead of trying to lift over everything.

back support

I pack the gear so there is padding stuffed there which gives her support without jabbing something in her back.

sitting/leg space

not really a problem

bearable?

Yes, and at times Beth has said it actually feels nice to be in the middle with armrests.

If you pack right there is less unsprung weight compared to carrying it all on a rear rack.

Incomplete list

groundcover

3person tent

flycover

2 sleeping bags

2 silk sheet inserts

2 microfleece comforters

5 camping pillows

2 inflatable camping airmaterres

pump for above

dual fuel camp stove

dehydrated food

water utensils to cook/eat

camp soap

lantern

clothesline

2 large camping shower towels

2 sling chairs

and the ususal motorcycle stuff/first aid/tire repair/air compressor/ rokstraps/cargo nets

rain gear

clothes etc

we use compression caps and bags to reduce size for the sleeping bags

I pack from the front leg putting 1 of each on each side for balance

There's much more stuff, but you get the basic idea.

I find them excellent tools

One drawback, when you set up camp and then go ride, your passenger doesn't have a backrest.

Otherwise

:thumbsup:

edit

this was summer and the bag on top of the Mags is for quick access to rain gear

TIm,

Thanks for the response, very helpful. A couple of more questions if you don't mind:

1) What size did you get? (Magsbags website has two sizes, 9" and 13")

2) Any thoughts about security? (e.g. away from a loaded bike with no locks)

Wayne

05 RT

We have the smaller one, I was concerned about Beth getting on/off the bike, but I think the bigger one would work just fine.

We mainly use ours for camping.

so we leave stuff at the campsite and you have that issue no matter what you're driving.

AFA on the road, we keep bike in sight at stops.

But , if I were to stay at a hotel on the way to camping, I'd be tempted to carry the whole set up into the room.

Sight-seeing activities?

If I were planning a trip that involved extended time away from the loaded bike I think I'd experiment w/cable locks to "secure" the bag to the bike (at least where someone would have to cut the bag away from the cable) and also get some small cable locks that would be used for zippers.

I do that now with my tankbag.

Best wishes.

I use the large MagsBag on my GS- two straps around the tail rack and then use the front straps- (one on each side) to tie to the frame. Bag never moves or shifts while underway. As far as motel stops, the bag when removed fits your right shoulder (or left I guess) to carry up to the room. Got mine from the owner while at DVD in 2008. Seems they were setting up for the ADV ride/get together at the campground at Furnace Creek. Nice folks. I really like the bag- it's great for packing for longer trips. Hope you like yours!!

(Usual disclaimer....no affiliation blah blah blah...)

Archived