IGNORED

Man breaks helmet. Claims "Wow. It's better now".

VinnyR11

Today in my continuing effort to cram things into spaces that are too small for them, I broke off the front vent on the top of my Arai. The slide piece that covered and uncovered the vent hole broke off.

OK, not a real big deal, and certainly not worth posting except, the helmet is now amazingly, unbelievably, significantly, and any other synonym for "holy cr@p this is cool", more quiet. Night and day.

I can't believe such a small piece of plastic could make that much of a difference. If I knew, I most definitely would have broken the thing off 7 years ago.

While I have never broken the vents off of my Arai, I have taped over them in cold weather as this is THE source of most noise that I get with my helmet.

SEVEN years ago?!?

Somebody call the helmet police! This guy's two years over the limit.

Prolly doesn't wear ATGATT either. I bet he's ridden to the store in jeans.

:grin:

I wouldn't have guessed quieter. I have considered busting mine off and slapping a piece of duct tape across the hole because the darn thing leaks in heavy downpours. Looks like I've got another good reason to give it a whack.

+1 on 7 years.

Yes! Everyone knows that at five years helmets turn to dust and become completely useless... :grin:

SEVEN years ago?!?

SCUM, pure and simple !!!

SEVEN years ago?!?

This is doubly funny, because I actually hesitated putting the "7 years" in. I was certain that someone from the helmet police would jump on it.

Hey, it's still round, and still fits, and now it's quiet too! It's getting better with age.

Look outside your window, if you dare.

92591816TnHxuQ_th.jpg

Don't answer the doorbell...

:/

Luckily it's too windy and cold to ride today. Hopefully this whole helmet thing will blow over, and it will be safe again to leave the house.

Luckily it's too windy and cold to ride today. Hopefully this whole helmet thing will blow over, and it will be safe again to leave the house.

NY isn't too far from MA. Isn't there a bunch of snow and frozen ice?

There are a few sites that address helmet noise and causes. Of them all, there has been a few areas of the helmet that apparently cause noise.

1)The big bottom opening. If the helmet fit isn't snug enough or the bike windshield isn't great you will get

howling and booming noises from below. I've had that happen on other bikes and my Arai with my RT does not have this issue.

2)The helmet shield. If it doesn't close well, it will whistle and make a rachet. This only happens with my Arai if I crack the shield.

3)Top vents. Best explained as "blowing over a coke bottle". This does not happen with my Arai. How do I know? Because there isn't much if any change in the noise with open or closed vents.

4)Wind turbulents at the back of the helmet. This noise is a roar at highway speeds. I think your Arai top vent removal trick has modified the turbulent airflow across the top to the back. The change has eliminated the helmet noise from back turbulents. I think my Arai has similar issue.

I also think my Arai Profile has noise generated by the side covers. I think high speed air blasts into the side covers at the top side of where the shield enters. I do plan to experiment more when weather permits.

My RT has great air management and see no reason why noise exceeds that of a convertable car with the top down.

THAT is how quite I hope to achieve with some modifications to my Arai. BTW, I still plan to wear earbuds with this change.

NY isn't too far from MA. Isn't there a bunch of snow and frozen ice?

There are a few sites that address helmet noise and causes. Of them all, there has been a few areas of the helmet that apparently cause noise.

1)The big bottom opening. If the helmet fit isn't snug enough or the bike windshield isn't great you will get

howling and booming noises from below. I've had that happen on other bikes and my Arai with my RT does not have this issue.

2)The helmet shield. If it doesn't close well, it will whistle and make a rachet. This only happens with my Arai if I crack the shield.

3)Top vents. Best explained as "blowing over a coke bottle". This does not happen with my Arai. How do I know? Because there isn't much if any change in the noise with open or closed vents.

4)Wind turbulents at the back of the helmet. This noise is a roar at highway speeds. I think your Arai top vent removal trick has modified the turbulent airflow across the top to the back. The change has eliminated the helmet noise from back turbulents. I think my Arai has similar issue.

I also think my Arai Profile has noise generated by the side covers. I think high speed air blasts into the side covers at the top side of where the shield enters. I do plan to experiment more when weather permits.

My RT has great air management and see no reason why noise exceeds that of a convertable car with the top down.

THAT is how quite I hope to achieve with some modifications to my Arai. BTW, I still plan to wear earbuds with this change.

All the snow and ice was upstate. Just cold and windy as anything today.

Re your point above "3)Top vents. Best explained as "blowing over a coke bottle". This does not happen with my Arai. How do I know? Because there isn't much if any change in the noise with open or closed vents." There was virtually no change with the vent open or closed on mine either. The dramatic change was when the thing broke off completely. Then it was night and day. It was a real surprise. Then again, maybe that's explained by your item 4 above.

I see you're from Lexington. Many moons ago I used to work for Unitrode in Lexington for about 2 years. Real nice area.

YouTube video by Arai

This video is where I got some info. I've also heard that some rather simple very small spoilers added to the helmet can have an effect as you describe.

At 70mph, I placed both hands onto my sidecaps and it met my goal of being as quite as a convertable. Unfortunately, I need my hands to ride. :dopeslap:

So I am looking for a simple solution that isn't ugly, heavy or effecting helmet performance.

Unitrode! My buddy went to work for Unitrode in Nashua,NH a year or so before it was bought by TI. He still works at TI with Unitrode folks. Lexington is a bit higher class ($$) than me, but my family and I like living here.

Archived