IGNORED

Bike to bike comunication w/ full face

Kannon

My wife and I are considering a Scala Rider system for bike to bike comunication. I have only seen this type of equipment used with open face or modular helmets. Will the microphone fit inside a full face, and how difficult does it make taking the helmet on and off? I wear an Arai Q2 and my wife wears a Shoei RF1000, neither has a lot of room in the chin area, it seems like having a mic in there would be a problem. Also, I would not want this device attached to my helmet when just out for day rides or track days, is it easily removable or fixed?

What is the difference between the Scala G4 and the Q2 system? It looks like the Q2 is about $100 more but I didn't realy see much difference between the two in the ad copy.

Thanks,

I used an earlier version of the Scala Rider. The microphone fits no problem.

Be careful though... if you want bike to bike- I am pretty sure that the "other" bike will have to have the same bluetooth setup and pairing as you do. No problem if you want to talk to the same bike all the time, and you are within the 30 meters necessary for the chat to B/T connect. If you want "real" bike to bike- get a radio...

I use a Kenwood GMRS/FRS with an Autocom system. Much more expensive, but it works.

Your total cost after trying the Scala then switching to autocom/Kenwood will be way higher than if you do it right the first time- just my opinion and experience because- that is what I did.

Hopz, now you have opend a whole new can of worms for me! I am not very technologicly savy, I have no idea what GMRS/FRS or Autocom are or how I would purchase or install them. Please help me understand what these things are and what would be involved with instalation, both on the bike and on the helmet. Also, when you say they are more expensive, about how much are we looking at?

I'm really looking for a turn key system, would the equipment you are talking about be much more complex to install than the Scala Rider? I don't think I need a very sophisticated system, I would just like to be able to talk to my wife on her bike once in a while when we are traveling, especially when we get into traffic or in a strange city, because only my bike has a GPS.

Thanks again,

There's several threads along these lines. We did a x-c trip this past spring, and my inner cheapskate looked and looked for some reasonable way out. In the end, with a lot of influence from folks here, I just bought the autocom and motorola gmrs radios. Works like a charm. Perhaps not quite as "uber" as some claim, but still, it works great. I probably would've dumped a cheaper unit in the garbage on the first day....

#1 you get what you pay for - especially with this stuff. #2 there's nothing more frustrating than talking and having your sentence evaporate into the ether. #3 maybe get her a gps, and skip the 2-way radios. We also both had a gps and boy was that ever worthwhile! nobody had to follow and wonder where the heck we were going.

I will not try to explain all that.

but You have simplified the question by saying all you want to to talk to your wife on her bike... then the Scala product line is likely to be very good for you.

You will have to install the scala helmet pieces. the unit itself clamps onto the side of your helmet and it works just fine. I never had a problem with mine. The microphone is on a flexible shaft and it sort of curves and fits under the side of the helmet.

the earphone pieces will have to be placed inside your helmet. Most modern helmets have removable cheek pads and also have cut outs for where the ear is. You just need to get the ear phones directly over where your ear canal is. Scala will supply some velcro as part of their kit if I recall correctly.

The installation of the hardware in/on the helmet is not always that easy but take your time and things will work out fine.

The other stuff is more complicated and serves a different purpose that what you say you want.

If you want intercom to a pillion, add-in GPS Navigation prompts, AM/FM/Weather bands, mp3 music and then be able to talk bike-to-bike with standard hand-held radios those threads will get you started. Autcom is an electronic hub that lets you do all those things, or even a sub-part list of them. The talk is very clear and, but you do have to have cables to your helmet- which some people do not like.

I have no problem with my Scala Rdier set-up with my full face helmet. Mudular helmets seem ot work even better wince hte chin bar is usually farther away form the riders mouth. I did end up removing the foam cover over the mic so it wasn't touching my mouth.

Otherwise it can be installed in about 5 minutes and removed in 2-3 minutes. I take mine off in the Fall when my wife isn't riding with me (she doesn't like the cold... or the hot).

I do find that depending on how your helemt fits you, it makes the helmet a little snug at my ears, requiring me use my hand to "unfold" my ears after I pull my helmet on. My wife has no issues.

Archived