IGNORED

How Long Do LED's Really Last?

pokorskij

Considering Motolights or LED's from Clearwater (see link below). While I like LED's can anyone with experience with the Clearwater provide your thoughts?

Also, while led's have a long advertised life span what is the truth? Do they dim over time? How long? What affect would a yellow lens have on the Clearwater lights?

How replaceable are led's?

http://www.clearwaterlights.com/products.html

Thanks in advance.

They either last forever or fail right away. Two LEDs on the cluster of my BMW LED aux brake light I have - see http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150rtarticles.htm - failed within a month of installation. The rest of the LEDs in the cluster are fine 3 years later, bright as ever.

In most cases, though, LEDs last far longer than conventional light bulbs. The technology is expanding fast, and as LEDs get larger they will replace conventional bulbs in many applications due to their longer life and more efficient operation.

-MKL

skinny_tom (aka boney)
They either last forever or fail right away. Two LEDs on the cluster of my BMW LED aux brake light I have - see http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150rtarticles.htm - failed within a month of installation. The rest of the LEDs in the cluster are fine 3 years later, bright as ever.

In most cases, though, LEDs last far longer than conventional light bulbs. The technology is expanding fast, and as LEDs get larger they will replace conventional bulbs in many applications due to their longer life and more efficient operation.

-MKL

Right away being in the first 60 days or so, yes?

I have some equipment at home with LEDs over 20 years old. The output of an LED remains constant, assuming constant current from the supply.

Andy

I have some that are many years old and some that gave up after a few months just like what has been said before.

It wouldn't surprise me if in ten years or twenty at the latest, 95% of all our light came from LED's of some sort. (unless something new comes along)

LED's failure depends on the temperature of the internal diode temperature. If the lamps thermal design is good, then the diode will be kept below a temperature of 100C and last for well over 20 years. The rest of the lamps mechanical connections will fail first.

All LED's will dim roughly 10-20% vs time. You likely will not notice this, but it does happen.

Unlike bulbs, LED's will not fail due to vibration. Although, the mechanical connectors/wiring will fail due to vibration.

There likely is no way for the consumer to replace the LEDs from the lamp assembly.

Bottom line, you could get a really great LED lamp that will last and last. I have no experience with Clearwater's LED lamps.

How many times have you seen the trunk-width string of LEDs on a car with a couple of them burned out? They don't last "forever", unless your lucky. I still think they are awesome and we're seeing more and more applications for them.

How many times have you seen the trunk-width string of LEDs on a car with a couple of them burned out? They don't last "forever", unless your lucky. I still think they are awesome and we're seeing more and more applications for them.

And if those failures were analyzed, in most cases it would be something other than the LED itself which failed, most likely the mechanical connection (i.e. poor solder, cracked etch, broken wire). Next most likely would be the controller/switch, and finally a long way down in the probability list would be the actual LED.

This of course assumes a properly designed circuit which does not overstress the LED.

Of course, from the user point of view, it makes little difference what actually failed. The user just knows their LED is not lit.

Michael is right. We use LEDs in much of our military-grade equipment we manufacture. 99% of the time when an LED is "out" it is something like the wiring, soldering, or something else that is causing it - not the LED itself. They really are quite reliable.

-MKL

They either last forever or fail right away.

-MKL

This is about the only time I can think of that I disagree with you, at least about motorcycle posts :D

My LED tail light bulb on the F650 is 3 years old. The running light part of it works fine, but the brake light LED's have slowly been failing. I think there are about 15 "bulbs" in the STOP light. The last 3 finally quit working yesterday. It has been incremental for a long time. Maybe you are right and it is the wiring to them, but the failure has been slow but sure.

3 years is about 2 years and 5 months longer than the standard bulbs have lasted though :P

Check and see - the F vibrates something fierce, and likely it's not the LEDs that are failing, but the connections / wiring as has been described above.

-MKL

They either last forever or fail right away.

-MKL

This is about the only time I can think of that I disagree with you, at least about motorcycle posts :D

My LED tail light bulb on the F650 is 3 years old. The running light part of it works fine, but the brake light LED's have slowly been failing. I think there are about 15 "bulbs" in the STOP light. The last 3 finally quit working yesterday. It has been incremental for a long time. Maybe you are right and it is the wiring to them, but the failure has been slow but sure.

3 years is about 2 years and 5 months longer than the standard bulbs have lasted though :P

There are a few ways to shorten the life of the LED. First is heat. Much over 130 degree C will kill them rather quickly. This temp may seem very unlikely, but it is a temp that is quite easy to achieve with high output LEDs. The second way to kill a LED quick is a reverse bias breakdown. This is simply a reverse polarity with enough voltage to cause the diode junction to breakdown and conduct. It happens faster than you can blink. How could this happen? A loose connection could generate short duration high reverse voltages (transients). This all may seem unlikely relative to bad wiring, but I bet it happens more than you think.

I'm not downing LEDs. They are capable of very extreme conditions. But they need a decent circuit around them with well thought thermal management (not nessesarily complex).

• 2 weeks later...
Check and see - the F vibrates something fierce, and likely it's not the LEDs that are failing, but the connections / wiring as has been described above.

-MKL

Very true about the vibration. However, I have a GIVI mount system that limits the amount of movement/travel of the rear light system. Without it, stock bulbs would barely last 2-4 weeks. The LED has lasted quite a bit longer, but eventually did fail. I could send it to you if you would like to evaluate it? I have a new (led) on order and it should be here by years end.

Archived