IGNORED

Credit Card Fraud in Motorcycle Community

Ewell D.

Well, it can happen to anyone.

Someone has made fraudulent charges on my credit card to place motorcycle sales ads in The Virginian-Pilot, The Capitol Gazette Anapolis, and The Republican newspapers. These are all clear across the country from my home in Oregon. I am wracking my brain to think of an online purchase I have made with my card instead of paypal which is my normal method. I would bet money this was a motorcycle related purchase.

The reason I am posting this is to solicit members help. We have all seen the fraud ads on craigslist, etc. for motorcycles at crazy low prices. That is what is going on here. The Republican newspaper faxed me a copy of the ad purchased with my card. It reads:

Harley Davidson 2007 Touring 2007 Harley-Davidson Touring FLHRSE3 SCREAMING EAGLE Road King Blue, clear title, 1 owner, 6834 miles, $5,800, borin5@ymail.com

Do any of you subscribe to this paper? Does anyone have an idea of how we can get our hands on the throat of borin5@ymail.com?

I have not emailed that address as my email address would be a tip off to them.

This is obviously and attempt to get someone to pony up money for a "too good to be true" price on a Harley.

I am posting this right after confirming the fraud with the newspaper. Next step, cancel the card, etc.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Ewell

skinny_tom (aka boney)

This is very interesting. My CC was recently used to place ads in a slew of different newspapers as well. Luckily, my CC company caught the problem and blocked most of them. I'm curious how you found out what ad was placed.

I'd like to track this down.

It may be coincidence, but perhaps some Motorcycle related companies database has been compromised.

Although this comes too late to help you I'll note just for info that Citibank allows you to generate a 'virtual' card number for online transactions, which is a temporary number that is only good for one merchant, and only for the time period and dollar amount you specify, thus even if the number is later compromised it won't be usable to anyone else. The only way to use a credit card online as far as I'm concerned. Even if you're not currently a Citibank card holder you might want to get one just for online use.

Although this comes too late to help you I'll note just for info that Citibank allows you to generate a 'virtual' card number for online transactions, which is a temporary number that is only good for one merchant, and only for the time period and dollar amount you specify, thus even if the number is later compromised it won't be usable to anyone else. The only way to use a credit card online as far as I'm concerned. Even if you're not currently a Citibank card holder you might want to get one just for online use.

Fiacardservices as well as Bank of America credit cards also offer this feature which they call "ShopSafe". Very useful!!!

The way I found out what ad was placed was by calling the phone number connected to the charge which was provided by the bank. I had gone into the bank to discuss the charges and the banker was able to show me the transactions on his monitor. The name and phone numbers were with each transaction. The phone number for one of them lead me to the credit dept. for the Virginian. I made contact with a very helpful lady who then faxed me a copy of the ad which was placed using my card.

Ewell

Fiacardservices as well as Bank of America credit cards also offer this feature which they call "ShopSafe". Very useful!!!

Ah, great. It is such a naturally good idea that I was sure that other cards would pick up the idea as well. (I have an FIA card but I don't see this ability on the website, I'll give them a call and ask...)

skinny_tom (aka boney)
The way I found out what ad was placed was by calling the phone number connected to the charge which was provided by the bank. I had gone into the bank to discuss the charges and the banker was able to show me the transactions on his monitor. The name and phone numbers were with each transaction. The phone number for one of them lead me to the credit dept. for the Virginian. I made contact with a very helpful lady who then faxed me a copy of the ad which was placed using my card.

Ewell

I'm in the process of trying the "call the company and ask" tactic right now.

All the charges to my card were in the midwest or south.

Sorry to hear of your credit card tribulations. I hadn't heard about the virtual credit card number before, but it sounds like a wonderful idea. Although I'm always watchful, and limit most of my online transactions to Amazon, they aren't the best source for motorcycle-related things.

Paypal offers it too, they call it a single use card. They also offer a multi-use card that you can setup for multiple purchases from a single vendor.

It's interesting the lengths we go thru to protect our credit cards online, yet 70% of credit card fraud is a result of transactions in real physical stores. That friendly waiter, that shoe store clerk, that guy at the gas station booth, et alia.

I haven't ruled that out!

Interesting thing. The telephone number given the newspaper when the ad was placed is local to my area, same area code and prefix. The last four letters are different and the number is a fax line.

Tried doing a reverse directory search of the number but it is an unlisted number. Of course there is the offer to pay a fee to receive additional information. I am not in the mood for another online transaction right now.

Ewell

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I was incorrect in the PM. The address that was on the ad that my card was used for is not valid. This is what I got when I mailed yours:

Hi

Thank you for your interest in my 2007 Harley-Davidson Touring SCREAMING EAGLE Road King. The bike is in excellent condition, it has never been involved in any accidents and it has no scratches or dents on it. With only 6834 miles runs great and it looks like new. The bike has a clear title. I moved in Canada one month ago and the bike is here with me.I want to sell it because it is too expensive for me to register it here. I will let it go for $5,800 USD. Shipping and handling fees to US will be $400 so the total price for you to receive it will be $6,200. If you are interested and ready to close the deal send me your full name and shipping address so I can register our transaction.

Thanks a lot

Molly

What should I do?

Beats me what to do!

I'd like to string Molly or whatever his name is along in an attempt to find a way of closing in on him but have no idea how to go about it. That is my reason for posting on this forum. Seems we have some people here with knowledge in this area. Maybe they can give advice.

Meanwhile, if we can get Quinn to send one of us the $6,200 we promise to forward it along to Molly :)

You can never catch the guy, because he will never let you see the bike or him. He will accept paymentover the phone or net. He nor the bike exist, and the location they give is incorrect also.

I tried to catch up with one of these guys a couple of years ago. I even google earth'd the address he gave me and there was nothing there.

But it was a Screaming Eagle Road Glide in my favorite colour that I really wanted...

Sometimes the person is in "Alaska". They like to pretend to be too far away for you to come see the bike.

The earth doesn't need these scum.

I know that you can get temp credit cards from our local news agent. You then preload them with X amount via your bank website and away you go. You can only spend what is on the card (in other words what you put on the card is the limit) but can be used like a credit card if you know what i mean.

Don't know if they do them in the US but i would think so.

Cheers

Steve

6300 for an SE edition is a hustle!!! Thats a 15g minimum bike in this economy dude, but if it's true it sounds like a foul divorce I'll show you sale and I'd be all over that one. If she is in Canada and one of our members is close enough to trailer and hold until the thaw have them check it out for you and when you close the HD deal have the cops close the cuffs on the thievin' bastages.

I just emailed him;

How many miles on the tires? When was the last service? Do you have the service history? I have a friend in Baltimore thru the Holidays, Can he look at it for me? He doesn't know about bikes, but he can confirm the visual condition of the bike and look at the paperwork. If it seems o.k. to him, I'll have him pay you for it.

Let's see what his story is.

That was quick, their reply;

Hi

Thank you for your interest in my 2007 Harley-Davidson Touring SCREAMING EAGLE Road King. The bike is in excellent condition, it has never been involved in any accidents and it has no scratches or dents on it. With only 6834 miles runs great and it looks like new. The bike has a clear title. I moved in Canada one month ago and the bike is here with me.I want to sell it because it is too expensive for me to register it here. I will let it go for $5,800 USD. Shipping and handling fees to US will be $400 so the total price for you to receive it will be $6,200. If you are interested and ready to close the deal send me your full name and shipping address so I can register our transaction.

Thanks a lot

Molly

My reply:

I have alot of Skymiles saved up, can I fly in and ride it home?

My reply:

He'll come back and tell you that, given winter weather/snow etc., it's impossible for you to come and ride it home. Tell him you have lots of Canadian riding buddies who are only too happy to pop by and have a look at it. Of course, you'll never get a straight answer and will never be able to track him down I suspect.

I replied to a craigs list ad the other day and got a similar response. This guy wanted to sell a truck. He had copied a picture from some other website's classifieds and wanted to ship it to me using ebay's "buyer protection" service.

You can always spot these a22 clowns as their grammar is horrendous.

I told him I would like to take him up on his offer. I asked him for a favor. I told him I had received a cashiers check from a relative in an amount $5,000 over the purchase price. I told him he could keep half of it as a compensation for packing up the truck and shipping it to me. Send me cash for the rest.

Have not heard back from him yet :)

That was quick, their reply;

Hi

Thanks a lot

Molly

My reply:

So, am I getting this right: This guy, "Molly", wants your address and full name more than anything? What will he/she do with that?

...and what does it mean to "register a transaction". The request for a shipping address presumes up front that the buyer is not going to pick the bike up in person. It would be very satisfying to catch "Molly" red-handed, embarrass her, and prosecute to the full extent of the law, but how???

Get the cops involved. I know that here in Vegas there is a "cybercrimes" unit and I am sure that there is on in most every city now. If the person/persons is doing this across state lines and now internationaly it brings the feds and the RCMP(I think) into it and carries some serious time. I have had a few cards used without my authorization or knowlege in the past by shiftless cybercoward thieves and know how pissed I was. I wanted to commit a string of felonies on the crooks, I am thankfull that I had no way of finding them, and that Amex is really good about it when this happens.

Last year I had my debit/credit card number stolen. It was used for a ton of these sex/arranged marriage things and my bank didn't think it was me doing all of them (I have to agree, I don't think the wife would let me get another model, and I am quite fond of her).

They cancelled the card immediately, and I asked what was going to happen now. The security and fraud division faxed me a form I filled out swearing it wasn't me making those charges and faxed it back to them. I talked to another agent a few days later and they mentioned they had gotten all the charges reversed. I asked how they thought this might have happened and their answer was scary. They mentioned that in some cases the numbers are simply sold by people who know how numbers are generated, they don't come with the security codes, but in some cases those numbers aren't used by merchants so the card works. The merchant should be verifying the address and security code match the issuer's records. If not, it is declined. Unfortunately there are a lot of merchants who don't do this.

I also agree with somebody here that many times it's not the online merchants, but your local physical merchants that write your number down (and use it later on without your knowledge).

When I asked if they were going to go after this person who used my card, I was stunned. They said "no, we don't do that". They simply get the charges reversed from the vendor and leave it at that. Apparently they are not alone in doing this, which is probably why we are seeing an increase and not a decrease in CC fraud.

Wayne

A likely scenario: your card number was stolen somewhere by one crook. It was then sold on an online marketplace to another crook in a place like Russia. The second crook then placed the ads, hoping to lure somebody to send him money by Western Union.

So I'd guess it might just be a coincidence that that you are a motorcycle rider and the item in the ads was a motorcycle.

You can pretty much forget about finding the guy.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Judging by the activity on my card, I'm willing to bet that someone's database was compromised, or one of their employees walked off with a bunch of information.

I've had my credit card compromised twice in two years. The first time it happened, a local merchant had their store compromised and had 1000+ credit card users affected. The second time it happened to me, it was THROUGH PAYPAL.

Evidently a Paypal employee stole information before they quit work and used it.

So, nothing is really safe from the cyber thief.

I would bet on this explanation as the right one. I got a call from Toshiba a couple of weeks ago trying to verify a phone # on an order for an external hard drive. I of course had not ordered one. I called Citicards and they said they were about to call me. The card number used belonged to an account I had never used for a purchase. I believe either a Citicard employee sold a bunch of numbers to someone or a database was compromised or stolen. Order was cancelled and so was the card.

This really seems like a "safe" crime if all the credit card company is going to do is cancel the card and pass the loss on to all the card holders as their cost of doing business. I may have to look into this as a way to supliment my retirement income.

--

Just got a reply from "Molly";

Sorry for the late reply but I was out of town with work. The bike is already at the shipping company packed and ready to go. Due to the fact that I am located here and we can't deal in person I choosed to close this deal through ebay. They will hold the payment until you receive and inspect the bike. This way we are both safe. If you are ready to close a deal send me your full name and shiping address so I can register our transaction and ebay will contact you with all the details you need.

Molly

Maybe I missed something, but have you seen the ad on EBay? I thought Molly bought newspaper ads with your card. I have never heard of EBay holding a payment until a vehicle is inspected by the buyer. Is this even possible? I also would ask Molly why she took the bike to the shipping company even though it has not yet been sold and she has no one to ship it to. Why would she not keep it on hand in case a local buyer wants it or a distant buyer, such as yourself, wants to have it inspected by an independent 3rd party.

We know the answers to these questions, but you could still ask Molly just to force her into a corner and make the whole deception as uncomfortable and unpleasant as possible. Maybe she will get so nervous about getting caught that she decides a life of crime is just not worth it. :P

Jay

Never heard of EBay sending "details" but you've got this one on the hook get law enforcement involved it is wire fraud if this is crossing state and int. boundries. Call your local cops, who can get the cops near the scammer involved and bang you have a crook, or if it is legit (yeah, right....) then you scored a hell of a good deal on a SE edition that can be turned for a profit even in this economy.

I had the exact thing happen to me last week. Same type of charges. Thank God my bank caught the fraud. Over 200.00. in charges. Had to cancel my card right before Black Friday. I'd like to put a world of hurt on that person! I would like to compare recent charges with other members to try to find the leak.

When I asked if they were going to go after this person who used my card, I was stunned. They said "no, we don't do that". They simply get the charges reversed from the vendor and leave it at that. Apparently they are not alone in doing this, which is probably why we are seeing an increase and not a decrease in CC fraud.

My merchant account doesn't come after me if I process a bogus charge. If I take the card, submit the charge, and it's approved - it's out of my hands. If the charge is bogus, the CC company eats it - not the vendor.

According to the terms (dictated by MC/Visa/AMEX/etc) a merchant is apparently not even allowed to even ask for ID. (Though many merchants do...)

Hell if a store does not ask to see my ID when using a card I don't shop there again. Some folks may consider it "inconvienient", certianly a hassle if your using stolen cards, but I've got nothing to hide and appriciate the merchant in looking out for themself passing the benifit on to me. That ID check may save me hours of time on the phone, and possibly even keep me from being stranded waiting for the wife or fedex to bring me a different card due to the one I always carry being shut off as a result of fraudulent use.

Are chip-encrypted credit cards in widespread use in the U.S. yet? Two of my three CCs are now the chip type (as of earlier this year). No more signature required; just slide it in the hand-held terminal and punch in your PIN. Not that this does much good for online purchases. Around here, nobody has ever asked for ID; even less likely now, presumably.

Archived