IGNORED

zumo 550 cradle connector issue

majordad

the in-car cradle connection to the power cable isn't maintaining constant contact with power. Intermittently, but frequently nonetheless, the light dims then brighten with the icon for battery supply or not illuminating. Anyone else have this happen and if so did you replace the cradle, power cord, or both?

Check the pins for crud, etc. Apply some dielectric grease to the plug and cradle/Zumo interface.

Try taking a pencil eraser to the contacts to clean them up a bit. Check to see if one of the spring loaded pins is stuck on the cradle.

Phil, where do you buy dielectric grease?

Any local auto part store (Kragen, Auto Zone, etc.)

Or use Vaseline - does the same job but will clean off easily with alcohol, whereas the silicone based dielectric grease cannot be completely removed.

Andy

Just be aware that dielectric grease is a NON-conducting grease that seals out moisture and therefore prevents corrosion on electrical connectors.

What is supposed to happen is that when one mates the connectors, there is strong enough wiping action between the contacts to displace the grease (or any contamination) at the point contact is actually being made.

If this contact point is already unreliable, then the grease is basically closing the barn door after the horse has left.

I would recommend using a contact cleaner that is specifically labelled as plastic safe on both sides of the connection, then connect/disconnect the connection several times. Repeat if necessary. Finally, once qualtiy connection is restored, then apply dielectric grease.

From what you are describing, you might also have a broken wire in the cable. This can be tested by flexing parts of the cable while holding the rest of the assembly from moving.

I agree there is probably a broken or bent wire. I am able to push on the side and power is restored for a moment then the icon for battery mode surfaces and the light dims. when contact is made again, say from a bump in the road, the light brightens. If I can't fix it I'll order a new cradle/cable, if available.

I had that happen to my car cradle too, it was a broken pin in the connector on the cradle. I had to buy one. Look around on the net prices vary widely.

You might try calling Garmin and explaining the problem. They provide great service. I have had two problems with my Zumo out of warranty, and each time I sent the defective part in and they mailed back a good one, no charge. Fantastic customer service.

Eric

Archived