IGNORED

What HID to fit to '07 RT

Paul Szilard - Australia

Paul Szilard - Australia

I had bought HID kit for my previous bike. It had twin H4 globes so the kit I bought had solenoid actuators for hi/low beam. They packed up within months! So I am weary of buying inferior Chinese products (I don't mind quality Chinese products!). The RT has separate 2x low beams so no need for actuators anyway.

My question is which product (and supplier) are recommended?

I would like a compact unit that is compatible and reliable for my '07 R1200RT.

Thanks in advance,

Well, I haven't YET bought these units (waiting until after the new year), but having researched the issue (here and solo) for many months, this is definitely the front-runner for me and my 2009 RT. The slim ballasts and lifetime warranty combined with range of wattages and low price have fairly well sealed the deal for me.

I installed the 1offmotorsports HID lights for my 06 R1200RT. There's a decent thread about this from earlier this year, and some photos I took.

I'm not going to say they were a breeze to install, because to really get this done right, you have to remove the fairing, windshield and dashboard cover. Some people have done it without doing all of this, but I can tell you access into the light socket is much easier when you remove all the plastic.

You do not need the Canbus decoder, except in rare cases. I spoke to a big BMW dealer who sells these specific HID lamps, and he said after selling 70-80 sets, only once did someone come back requiring the CANBUS thing. Of course, YMMV. And given my bad luck with electronics sometimes, I presumed I'd be one of them, but I wasn't.

The lights are really sweet. Even during the day, I notice that people at stop signs and such eyeball me more. Who knows if it really gets their attention?

Anyways, don't buy the decoder unless you get a fault. Then order.

Well, I haven't YET bought these units (waiting until after the new year), but having researched the issue (here and solo) for many months, this is definitely the front-runner for me and my 2009 RT. The slim ballasts and lifetime warranty combined with range of wattages and low price have fairly well sealed the deal for me.

I love them. There was a thread on this a couple of months ago where several us mentioned some watchouts and made some installation recommendations. Once the plastic was off the bike, it was like a 15 minute job.

• 3 weeks later...

I love them. There was a thread on this a couple of months ago where several us mentioned some watchouts and made some installation recommendations. Once the plastic was off the bike, it was like a 15 minute job.

Good to know. Ordering them from wholesalehid.com right now. Should be able to install and fully test ride before the Cedar Key ride. Plan on having the fog lights by then as well. (Can you see me now?)

gO tO : www.vvme.com

I put these 35 watt'ers on an '05 GS/ADV and it worked a treat.!

What's the difference between 1offmotorsports.com and vvme.com, besides price that is. What is the best color to get? If 35 watt is good isn't 55 better?

I'm interested in the 1 off HID's, but have a a couple of questions. What are you running, 4,500K, 6,000K or 8,000K? Also was concerned about the legality issue. I would like to see the road more clearly and to be seen. What has been your experience regarding oncoming traffic as regards getting the brights turned on you? Thanks for the great thread and look foreward to your shared experience.

I'm interested in the 1 off HID's, but have a a couple of questions. What are you running, 4,500K, 6,000K or 8,000K? Also was concerned about the legality issue. I would like to see the road more clearly and to be seen. What has been your experience regarding oncoming traffic as regards getting the brights turned on you? Thanks for the great thread and look foreward to your shared experience.

I used the 6,000k I like them very much, no problems with on coming traffic not get flashed at all.

I am running the 6000K, and have had no issues. I have probably put around 2-3000 miles at night since installing them, and I've not had one person flick on his brights from oncoming traffic. I did adjust the lights ever so slightly downward, but I really see the road.

One night, someone dropped a roll of very dark carpet onto the freeway. My HID's picked it up before I had to do an emergency move to avoid it. It scared the crap out of me however.

Thanks for the response orangemarlin. I'm pretty much sold on the 1 off motorsports HID. I contacted them and they also recommend the 6,000K. I noticed that there was mention of previous thread a couple months ago about the things to watch for when doing the mod. Any idea where that might be on the forum?

Thanks for the response orangemarlin. I'm pretty much sold on the 1 off motorsports HID. I contacted them and they also recommend the 6,000K. I noticed that there was mention of previous thread a couple months ago about the things to watch for when doing the mod. Any idea where that might be on the forum?

Well, I love to help you out, but for some reason, it looks like the whole thread was deleted. Maybe 1offmotorsports ticked off the owner of this board, I don't know. And I searched all my posts for the thread, and I can't find it, which is a bit of a bummer, since I walked through a few watchouts. Maybe someone else can find it.

Archived