IGNORED

Connecting Z

Ken H.

Calling John B. or Tom B. please!

I’m sure you guys get tired of ‘how to connect’ questions but one more if you please...

My Autocom is an Active 7 Smart. My (new) GPS is a GARMIN Zümo 660. Both are bike powered.

What I want to do is Bluetooth my phone to the Zümo, then wire connect the Zümo to (AUX 1?) of the Active 7 Smart. (Where I have a 1276 Bluetooth Adaptor connected now, but that can go away.)

The Zümo motorcycle cradle has a 2.5 mm Microphone cord jack and a 3.5 mm Headphone/audio out cord jack. Stereo music from the Zümo is not important to me. (The Active 7 Smart is mono only anyway yes?) What I think I need is a 2244, 2247 and 2190. Or is it a 2245, 2248 and 2190? Can you confirm or correct me?

Thanks!

Can I take this opportunity to point folks at the new Autocom forum

http://forums.autocom.co.uk/ where you can register and ask questions. You should get a quick and accurate answer to your questions from chaps who fit every day, especially now that the variety of systems is increasing.

Please don't think that this is instead of Tom helping out on this forum - Tom places immense importance in maintaining a excellent level of service in the the USA.

Ken,

The Active 7 Smart does have a 3-pole stereo music and a 3-pole mono phone input and the new cables are all 4-pole (stereo, mike and earth). My preference would be to keep the 1276 in place for your set-up (assuming it is working). OTOH for wired connections 2244, 2245 are both different lengths of the same cable as are 2247 and 2248. I think you might also need the latest version (version 3?) of part 2190.

Best check with Autocom and let us know the answer when you get it so that we can help others.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the link, John. Maybe someone can help me fix my cell phone problem. If I can't get it to work, I'm going to yank the whole autocom system and trash it. Way too much money for something that doesn't work right.

Can I take this opportunity to point folks at the new Autocom forum

http://forums.autocom.co.uk/ where you can register and ask questions. You should get a quick and accurate answer to your questions from chaps who fit every day, especially now that the variety of systems is increasing.

Best check with Autocom and let us know the answer when you get it so that we can help others.

Will do! Thanks.

Ken, at the risk of hijacking your thread, if you get a minute (and haven't frozen to death out in Edmonton), can you let us know what you think of your Zumo 660 and why you chose it. I'm assuming it's a very recent purchase. Thanks.

Ken, at the risk of hijacking your thread, if you get a minute (and haven't frozen to death out in Edmonton), can you let us know what you think of your Zumo 660 and why you chose it. I'm assuming it's a very recent purchase. Thanks.

Yeah, Saturday. Merry Early Christmas to me from me!

The big reason I went with the 660 (over say the 550) is screen size, I wanted the biggest I could get.

The 660 has a couple more bells and whistles that may or may not turn out in the long run to be of use: Displays speed limits for example. The 660 will talk when stand alone (built in speaker) while the 550 has to be docked to talk. That was something that always bugged me about our Quest II as we rent a car from time to time and having to transfer a dock/cradle to get speaking was a PIA. The 660 is able to hold more waypoints and routes (on a microSD card). Has a QWERTY keyboard layout. Ability to load more different voices. Has the “Lane Assist” feature the 550 doesn’t.

When you dock the 660 on the bike all the connections to a Autocom (or other intercom) are made through the dock/cradle. On the 550 you have putz around with connecting the audio connections separately. (If you are using them of course.)

The XM capabilities of the 550 weren’t of interest to me. I can load as many tunes into the 660 as I can get onto a microSD card.

And the 660 is $100 cheaper than the 550.

Time will tell, the Quest II was much more customizable that I can already tell the 660 is. For example I could totally remove all stuff from the map page but the map itself on the Quest II, not so the 660. It always has other ‘stuff’ taking up some screen space on the top and bottom. But may be no big deal.

The Active 7 Smart does have a 3-pole stereo music and a 3-pole mono phone input and the new cables are all 4-pole (stereo, mike and earth). My preference would be to keep the 1276 in place for your set-up (assuming it is working). OTOH for wired connections 2244, 2245 are both different lengths of the same cable as are 2247 and 2248. I think you might also need the latest version (version 3?) of part 2190.

Quick reply back on their forum! :thumbsup: For the Active 7 Smart I need a Part 1300 (and the two cables). Which is basically the same style adaptor as the Part 2190 only 3-pole monophonic into my old Autocom.

‘Course I’m weeks away from trying to hook any of this up with the garage being -30°C!

Quick reply back on their forum! :thumbsup: For the Active 7 Smart I need a Part 1300 (and the two cables). Which is basically the same style adaptor as the Part 2190 only 3-pole monophonic into my old Autocom.

‘Course I’m weeks away from trying to hook any of this up with the garage being -30°C!

Ken, Part 1300 (I remembered the #1298 and #1299 and forgot about the #1300!) should be all you need. It isn't a "Y" piece like the 2190 but comes with cables that should reach to the front of the bike from the tailcone.

In response to:

Poster: Ken H.

Subject: Re: Connecting Zümo 660 to Autocom Active 7 Smart Question

And the 660 is $100 cheaper than the 550

May I ask where you purchased your 660? The prices that I have been seeing, the 660 is $100.00 more than the 550.

In response to:

May I ask where you purchased your 660? The prices that I have been seeing, the 660 is $100.00 more than the 550.

Discover GPS in Edmonton.

Yeah, Saturday. Merry Early Christmas to me from me!

The big reason I went with the 660 (over say the 550) is screen size, I wanted the biggest I could get.

The 660 has a couple more bells and whistles that may or may not turn out in the long run to be of use: Displays speed limits for example. The 660 will talk when stand alone (built in speaker) while the 550 has to be docked to talk. That was something that always bugged me about our Quest II as we rent a car from time to time and having to transfer a dock/cradle to get speaking was a PIA. The 660 is able to hold more waypoints and routes (on a microSD card). Has a QWERTY keyboard layout. Ability to load more different voices. Has the “Lane Assist” feature the 550 doesn’t.

When you dock the 660 on the bike all the connections to a Autocom (or other intercom) are made through the dock/cradle. On the 550 you have putz around with connecting the audio connections separately. (If you are using them of course.)

The XM capabilities of the 550 weren’t of interest to me. I can load as many tunes into the 660 as I can get onto a microSD card.

And the 660 is $100 cheaper than the 550.

Time will tell, the Quest II was much more customizable that I can already tell the 660 is. For example I could totally remove all stuff from the map page but the map itself on the Quest II, not so the 660. It always has other ‘stuff’ taking up some screen space on the top and bottom. But may be no big deal.

Ken,

You mention that when the 660 is docked, all the connections through Autocom are made from the cradle. Is there a specific cradle you are referring to? I am thinking of replacing my Nav II with a 660 and the Nav comes with a cradle that I will be selling too so I would want to make sure I get the right cradle for the RT.

Also, when choosing a route on the 660, can you select from among shortest, fastest and custom routes? The custom route option on the Nav II is terrific in that I can direct it to choose minor (translation - fun, twisty and less traveled) roads.

I see some refurbished one's on E-bay for under $200. Any experience with good sources for these?

Thanks,

Steve

You mention that when the 660 is docked, all the connections through Autocom are made from the cradle. Is there a specific cradle you are referring to? I am thinking of replacing my Nav II with a 660 and the Nav comes with a cradle that I will be selling too so I would want to make sure I get the right cradle for the RT.

Also, when choosing a route on the 660, can you select from among shortest, fastest and custom routes? The custom route option on the Nav II is terrific in that I can direct it to choose minor (translation - fun, twisty and less traveled) roads.

I see some refurbished one's on E-bay for under $200. Any experience with good sources for these?

The 660 comes with a motorcycle specific cradle and a RAM mount for it. (Or other RAM parts can be used with it as needed.) All the connections are made through a multi-pin connector on that cradle. It also comes with a weather resistant cap for the cradle for when the 660 is not in place. The cradle has basic wiring for power, audio out and mic in. Which then has to be adapted to whatever else you have.

It also comes with one automotive suction mount cradle. (A second one was CA$56.) And it knows which cradle it is in and auto-switches between motorcycle, automotive or pedestrian mode when docked/undocked.

Yes the 660 has shortest, fastest, custom, or off-road routing options. Also you can select a number of different avoidances. Non-paved, 4-lane, off-road, U-turns, traffic (with the optional traffic receiver), specific highways you manually input, and others I can’t remember at the moment.

I can’t comment one way or the other on eBay refurbs; no experience with them.

In response to:

Originally Posted By: Lmar

Quote:

In response to:

Discover GPS in Edmonton

Thanks Ken

Archived