IGNORED

heated socks VS heated soles

Indy Dave

Anyone with experience with either (or both) heated socks/heated soles?

Seems the socks would ensure warm toes and the tops of your feet, but get redundant for the ankle area perhaps? Heated soles seem to not be a complete answer, but maybe I'm missing something?

I don't find them (heated socks) that uncomfortable to walk in. This time of year when I'm riding, I'm riding! I'm generally not going somewhere and doing a lot of walking around. They work really well for me. In the 20's the only thing I couldn't keep warm was my feet. I no longer have that problem. Although it looks like Gerbings quit making them in favor of the heated insoles.

Bill

07 R1200RT

09 KLR

workin them angels, I have used both.. The heated socks are real pain in the feet.. The wires bunch up with usage,, if you try to wash them the wires really bunch up.. Walking with heated socks is uncomfortable after a short while as the wires hurt your feet.. Unless you get the wires to be exactly where they need to be the heating is pretty uneven..

I now have the heated insoles.. I sort of like them.. They only heat the bottoms of your feet but are very comfortable to walk on all day,, go into the boots easily,, the wires run up out of the boots with no interference,, my feet don’t seem to sweat using them like heated socks..

The heated insoles seem to work best in slightly large boots or in boots where the original insole can be removed & replaced by the heated insole.. On bikes that have foot pegs there will be hot spots where the feet rest n the pegs but that is easily worked around by moving the feet on the pegs as you ride.. (they work just great on bike with floor boards)..

The heated insoles seem to work best when not wearing real heavy socks ( that is sort of counter productive)..

On my Gerbings heated insoles they seem to need to be operated at a fairly high power input so they need a separate controller circuit from a vest or jacket liner.. The good news is they seem to like to be powered at about the same power setting as my heated gloves do (so you can run circuit of the controller for both socks & gloves)..

Bottom line here (at least for me)—I like the heated insoles much better than my old heated socks,, I could use a little more heat on top of my feet but it is livable as is.. The part I really like is the heated insoles seem to hold their heat for a while even when unplugged so after a ride & I get off the bike my feet stay nice & warm for a while (great when riding to a place you will keep your boots on ).. Overall I am happy with the Gerbings heated insoles (they also use very little current so can be used on most dirt bikes with low output charging systems)

Twisty

the Gerbing Rep. in this area said that Gerbing was having problems with the wires poking out the toes of the heated socks and that's why they switched to heated soles.

I have the heated socks and I haven't used them for a long time. I find that with a good pair of boots, Goretex and preferably Thinsulate and heavy socks, I don't need them. Having the feet behind the boxer cylinders I'm sure helps a little,

I have the heated socks and I haven't used them for a long time. I find that with a good pair of boots, Goretex and preferably Thinsulate and heavy socks, I don't need them. Having the feet behind the boxer cylinders I'm sure helps a little,

+1. I bought Gerbing's socks many years ago, and wore them once. I still ride all year, down into the teens, and have found that if I keep my core torso and my hands warm, I don't need anything else heated - at least on the RT, where I am shielded from the wind blast. The overpants have a thinsulate lining, and as Paul said my standard boots (Sidi Onroads or BMW Allrounds) plus some warm socks are all that's needed.

-MKL

Thanks all!! Very helpful info. My feet got cold once last winter - but it was flippin' cold out...10 or so. I'll pay closer attention to the layering of my socks (and boots) and go from there.

Thanks again for for sharing your experiences.

I have a pair of gerbing socks with no wires in the soles. They bunch up a little in the toes and I must wear another pair of socks under them to keep from being burned. That makes my boots really tight! Not so good for walking long distances in. I only use my gerbing socks if it gets below 30 degrees and they work well to take the chill off my feet. Other than that, I don't use them.

Archived