IGNORED

R1200RT Accessory Flashing Brake Issues

Deek

I want to put accessory brake lights on my 2006 R1200RT. Apparently there are issues with the single wire going to the stock taillight module. Some accessory brake lights like P3, apparently need to be connected to a power source, and they recommend running a wire all the way to the headlight area for power. That sounds like something I'd rather not do......

My question: If all I need is a power source, could I not us ANY switched power source? For instance, some seem to tap into the power-ports on the tail end of the RT. I have two back there and it seems like that would be an easier power source than trying to tap into something all the way up at the headlight area.

Also, does anyone know if Hyperlights has an install kit for a 2006 R1200RT? That model is not listed on their web page so I suspect they do not.

I want something that is CanBus and ABS and RT compatible.....seems like that is something difficult to obtain!

I just finished installing the Touratech LET tail/stop lights on my 07RT. It replaces the original and is plug & play and very bright with a programable sequence of flashes for the stop light. It includes a "load" resistor so it matches the load of the OEM lights. I had these same lights on my 06 GSA and loved them. Great product and can be installed without any new wiring or cutting/taping into any wiring.

I just finished installing the Touratech LET tail/stop lights on my 07RT. It replaces the original and is plug & play and very bright with a programable sequence of flashes for the stop light. It includes a "load" resistor so it matches the load of the OEM lights. I had these same lights on my 06 GSA and loved them. Great product and can be installed without any new wiring or cutting/taping into any wiring.

That's starting to sound like a good solution to me. So the only power to it supplied by the existing tail/brake light plug, right? I wish Touratech had a photo of the kit for the RT, but I'm assuming it looks pretty much like the other model BMW kits they show. Looks like it has 16+ LEDs on the circuit board?

No issues withe the "bulb out" icon on the RT's dashboard LCD screen?

Have you seen other models, like the P3 or Hyperlights to compare to the Touratech one? I wonder if it's as bright as those.

For a photo of the Touratech unit, go to the following link.

Adding supplemental tail/brake lights to the RT (and some other BMW models) is complicated by the fact that the RT uses the same single-filament bulb for both functions. The bulb runs at partial voltage as a tail light, and at full voltage as a brake light. Add-on units made specifically for the RT should take this into consideration. Generic units will probably not. The P3 lights are generic in nature and thus require switched power for the brake lights.

Using the accessory socket as a power source has its own problems. The accessory sockets are not shut off with the key, but will remain powered for some time after the ignition is turned off.

Have you seen other models, like the P3 or Hyperlights to compare to the Touratech one? I wonder if it's as bright as those.

It's not really an apples to apples comparison. The Touratech product replaces your existing tail light with an LED version.

The P3 and Hyperlight products add ADDITIONAL lighting to the rear of your bike. Your tail light remains the same.

One advantage of the P3 and Hyperlight products, depending on installations, is that there are more lights spread across a larger area creating a a greater presence.

Deek, it looks just like the other ones. And the answer is yes, the only power comes from the existing plugs and the load resistor takes care of matching the load so no bulb out icon.

Deek, it looks just like the other ones.

This doesn't make sense to me. An earlier post had this as a picture of the Touratech solution:

BK0102-lg.jpg

And this is a picture of the P3 solution:

P3-Lights.jpg

I'm not a fan of the plug and play scenario. I think the object is to have additional lights in a different area to make you more visible. I've installed hyperlites on all my bikes and they have worked flawlessly for many years. On my RT I attached them to the sides of the license plate holder.

Bill

R1200RT

09KLR

Archived