IGNORED

I'ts freezing again...

wonderdog

My redneck mind was just wondering if I could wrap up in a 12volt electric blanket under coveralls and ride in warmth...or should I just pay the price...huh.

Nope. Rednecks don't need no sissy electric blankets. Next thing you'll be sucking your thumb with that blankie.

What YOU need is a good old fashioned Jon*e warmer. Put it right there close to your gut. The eau de lighter fluid brings in the real purdy redneck ladies for miles. And that big red burn spot on your stomach is the way we tell real rednecks from poser cowboys.

Or one could use proper layering techniques, that way when the bike is off or you are low on voltage your underwear don't shut off and leave you freezing. I have been considering some heated gear for my commuting, but if you layer properly it is not needed and you don't look like the kid in " A Cristmass Story". Get some Patagonia silk wieght base layers, and some merino wool stuff in medium and heavy wieghts, combined with a bit of wind stopper fleece and decent quality gear on top like a Sitch, of some of the First Gear TPG stuff you'll be fine. Oh and you won't need batteries.

"...I have been considering some heated gear for my commuting, but if you layer properly it is not needed and you don't look like the kid in " A Cristmass Story"...."

Good advise, but Santa is still gonna bring me a Gerbing jacket liner and I think I'm gonna love it! :clap:

Or one could use proper layering techniques, that way when the bike is off or you are low on voltage your underwear don't shut off and leave you freezing. I have been considering some heated gear for my commuting, but if you layer properly it is not needed and you don't look like the kid in " A Cristmass Story". Get some Patagonia silk wieght base layers, and some merino wool stuff in medium and heavy wieghts, combined with a bit of wind stopper fleece and decent quality gear on top like a Sitch, of some of the First Gear TPG stuff you'll be fine. Oh and you won't need batteries.

A female rider on a Suzuki GSXR600 made a similar comment about my riding technique. I straightened out a series of open S-bends on my RT by making a straight line thru them. She commented that a Gixxer rider would have flicked the bike from left to right for the sheer fun of messing around in the curves.

I use a Gerbing liner like I use the road - making a straight line for warmth!

I could never get comfortable or warm enough layering up. Always felt like the Michelin man. Couldn't move easily. Got a Tourmaster electric jacket and the bulk is gone. I now wear a thin long sleeved t-shirt, my electric jacket and a leather jacket. Always comfortable, even when the temp is in the teens.

I could never get comfortable or warm enough layering up. Always felt like the Michelin man. Couldn't move easily. Got a Tourmaster electric jacket and the bulk is gone. I now wear a thin long sleeved t-shirt, my electric jacket and a leather jacket. Always comfortable, even when the temp is in the teens.

Me too. No bulk!:thumbsup:

+1 there. Worse, you have to take off you gear to shed layers when the conditions change. With a heated vest, you just turn the knob. A great example is riding in Rocky Mtn. NP. It can be 65F at the bottom 4000 ft and 30 minutes later, 30F as you cross the pass.... then 65F again at the bottom. It's not much fun to keep getting on and off the bike just to add or remove layers.

Archived