IGNORED

Mounting Zumo 550 to R1200RT

JayW

My wife just gave it to me to replace my aging BMW Navigator II. It was a real surprise and I expect to really enjoy it. I am looking forward to using the XM feature when we travel in the car too.

For using it on the motorcylce, I assume I'll have to remove the mount that I have and replace it with the "motorcycle console" that comes in the box with the new Zumo.

Is the universal mount in the box the best one to use with the RT, or would I be better off to get a custom mount for my specific bike, if there is such a thing?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Jay

There's a bunch of solutions that work well for the RT. You can use the stuff that comes with the 550, putting the u-bolt mount around the handlebar. It's a very tight fit though.

Another option is shown here:

P3110031.JPG

It's $22 from cyclegadgets.com, part # RCB-CHB-HDW+MIR

There's another Christmas thread here

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=454065&page=1

that has a lot of good ideas.

I had a BMR shelf and really liked it. Spendy, but rock solid and puts the Zumo front and center. I believe this a big safety advantage, as you aren't looking as far away from the road. There are other options that put it up there too. The big advantage of the BMR shelf is the rock solid 4 point mounting system.

http://bmrproducts.com/

One of the forum members here makes a ram ball that mounts in the center of the handlebars, I can't find a reference right now.

Merry Christmas!

I mounted mine up high on a BMR shelf and mounted the Garmin cradle in a Touratech vibration isolated and lockable mount. It is near my line of sight which I like.

749329900_gqkR3-L.jpg

Thanks for the quick responses. Frank Murphy apparantly had a similar quesion last year and that link has a wealth of information. I am leaning toward Jackfrost's custom-made mount if he still offers them.

Can I use the factory GPS plug to power the 550? If so, will I have to buy a special adaptor for this purpose, and if so, where can I get it?

Jay

Nice n Easy Rider

Jay,

My Zumo came with a plug that directly mounted to the OEM plug underneath the handlebars and between the forks.

I didn't use the factory connector but I believe that it will work and you can probably buy the correct cable from your BMW dealer because the newest BMW Navigator is a version of the Zumo 550 so the power connection should work.

As fate would have it... I have my Zumo mounted on the Nav II mount. Right between the base of the handlebars.

All you have to do is take the Round Flat Stock Zumo plate, remove the ball and you will notice the 4 hole pattern matches that of the NavII base. You will have to take the base apart and mount the round zumo plate then reassemble the mount.

I like it better than any variation of RAM ball and Misgel etc.

Nice and low and it does not cover any of the RID data. It however is too low for a tank bag.

I can send pictures if needed.

...I have my Zumo mounted on the Nav II mount...It however is too low for a tank bag.

I can send pictures if needed.

I didn't even realize that this was an option.

I do use a tank bag on trips, but have barbacks which may raise the display enough for me to see it even with a tank bag. Since the mount modification sounds fairly straightforward from your description, I believe I'll try it and see if I like it. That would also save me from having to to buy or wait for anything to come in the mail before trying my new toy.

If you can easily upload pictures Hopz, that would be great. Otherwise I'll fiddle with the mounts myself and let you know if I get stuck.

Once again, this site appears to be saving me time, money and aggravation. :):thumbsup:

Jay

Archived