IGNORED

Tank bag for an R1200RT

AdventurePoser

CoarsegoldKid

Steve, I use the BMW tank bag because it fits the mounting frame that BMW puts on every R1200RT. So it's integrated. What I dislike about the bag the most is what I like about the bag. It is large. It can expand even more if needed. I think I expanded only once and I don't use the luggage unless I'm traveling. The majority of RT riders I see always have their luggage mounted so a small bag probably fits the need. A smaller version would be cleaner looking. I think I saw somewhere that had one but I can't remember where. Maybe I was just dreaming.

I'm with Joe on the BMW bag. It's a terrific product, but would be even better if it could reduce down a notch in size when not filled. Having said that, there is huge room for touring.

I had a BigMak bag on my R11 and loved it. I don't like the idea of having to bolt his new retro bag on a BMW frame (extra cost and work). The site says that he will be coming out with a frame to match the new RT's, but who knows when. They don't mention if the new frame will have a flip up provision, or if you will have to remove the bag at fill-ups. The flip-up is a great shtick, and I like it much better than BMW's remove at fill-up system.

If I knew the BigMak frame was coming soon AND it had the flip-up system, I definitely would buy that. If not, I'm happy with the BMW bag.

Steve, I used my Oxford Sports magnetic bag until about four months ago, when I bought a Bags Connection bag (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1859/332/). I like the little Bags Connection bag just fine, and the quick release mechanism works great, but frankly, I could have saved my money. The Oxford bag's weight was enough to keep it steady on the tank, and the bag is more versatile, with several pockets. It expands to almost double the size you see in the attached photo. The only disadvantage, if you can call it that, is that it would slide forward under hard braking, but it didn't create any problems. It just flipped out of the way to gas up. Essentially waterproof, even without the included clear rain cover. Strap around steering head holds it in place.

Oh, one other disadvantage: the Oxford map case is oddly shaped, makes it hard to insert a map.

Cheap, though, you can watch ebay for a couple weeks and pick one up.

IMG_1434.jpg

AdventurePoser

Good advice all, thanks guys...I should clarify I currently have an RT bag, but the map case is yellow and has a small rip. I'd love to have a new bag.

Like several of you, I've used Big Mak's products. He's a great guy and makes a quality product. Like you, I would probably wait for the "R12RT friendy" mount.

Mark, I had an Oxford bag for the VFR and sold it when I bought my last bike!

Happy holidays all...

Steve

Steve, I got a 8.5 liter RKA bag from Brown's. It was about $100 and works very well on the RT. I have the mounting straps on the bike all the time, they tuck away very neatly. When I want to use the bag I just snap it on and go. It also has a nice removable map pocket.

Happy Holidays to you.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/MarseeTankBags

The 10L corona works on old and new RT's

The 12L (new this year) works great also.

Full disclosuere: I own RPW.

Jack (General Manager) rides 1999 RT, David (seen mostly at Rallies) rides 2005 RT. Both using Marsee (obviously they use them! --but they actually prefer them to what they used to have)

We sell quite a few for RT's . (the corona DOES work with the newer RT's)

Tom Volk

Contact me if you have any questions.

The RKA 16 litre bag provides adequate space for stuff but most importantly the map case holds a proper double fold of a AAA map and its completely removable via hook and loop which the BMW bag engineers completely forgot. Also, the BMW bag has a very high profile so my Touratech GPS mount is totally blocked out. NOT a good thing! Tour the RKA site http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/163%20Build%20sheet/163%20Build%20Sheet.html

if your bag/clear plastic map holder are thrashed, but the frame is in good shape, bolt a new bag to the BMW bag frame so you can still have the easy/secure mounting

if your bag/clear plastic map holder are thrashed, but the frame is in good shape, bolt a new bag to the BMW bag frame so you can still have the easy/secure mounting

Before acquiring my current GPS mount, I often thought about buying an old BMW bag, removing the frame, and making some sort of GPS mount that would attach to it. Then, I could pop the GPS on and off as needed. It wouldn't be secure when unattended, but I figured I could quickly remove it and stick it a side case when the bike was going to be unattended. But it was another project that didn't make it past the visualization stage...

My 07RT came with a Big Mac which I really like. I had one on my 1150 also. One thing I didn't like was the lack of easy access side compartments. The big mac only comes with small net areas on the side so on my current Big Mac, I removed the net and mounted side pouches I had from an earlier Wolfman bag. Now its perfect.

749329900_gqkR3-L.jpg

On an earlier 12RT, when the OEM bag clear map pocket finally cracked, I removed the bag from the mounting plate and mounted a Wolfman Explorer bag to the plate. It worked great. Sure it touch the radio controls at full lock but so what. I'm only at full lock in the parking lot. This is a great solution if you can get ahold of a OEM mounting plate.

209620098_QxjeN-L.jpg

We use these:

Twisted Throttle: SWMotech Bags Connection Daypack II

Small, doesn't interfere with riding. Just as easy off/on as BMW stock bag and very secure. You have to buy the gas tank mounting ring separately, but it's still very economical. The mounting ring can be seen when the bag is not mounted, but it is fairly unobtrusive as it is mostly within the tank rails. After two years the black has faded some, but the bags seem to be in good shape.

The BMW bag was too big for us. This is just right.

Steve, it is difficult to find a proper fritting & easy removable tank bag for the 1200RT.. I have been there & looked & measured a l-o-t of tank bags.. The main problem is the bags that look like they will work good won’t clear the handle bars & horn button at full lock.. Some are a real pain to put on & remove..

After measuring & even trail fitting a great number of bags I just gave up & called Mark at Big Mac bags.. Mark has a great bag that is custom fitted to the BMW base plate & I am very happy with the fit & operation.. ABSOLUTELY no clearance problems with the handle bars or horn button,, great looking bag,, holds quite a bit (less than the BMW bag but it is a fair amount smaller),, easy to see the gauges over,, & no rider body contact at the rear like the stock BMW bag..

See picture (below) of base plate as that is what you will need to fit to if looking at a bag to fit the stock base plate..

Just look for a used base plate on E Bay or BMW web site want adds then find a bag to fit the plate (Big Mac is probably the best bet)..

Send me your E-Mail address & I will send you some pictures of the Big Mac mounted on the bike..

BMTankBag.jpg

Twisty

Exploreinman

Twisty, Which Big Mak bag did you use, the tall or short for the R1200RT? Do you have any measurements on your bag ?

Mike

I looked at the bag and it looks very interesting to me. I have a Cortech Mini on a BMW bag baseplate that I'm using currently. I would like to find out the dimensions of the Big Mak tall & short bags as well, including the volume.

Guys, give me some time to get the BMW & Big Mac bags side by side & takes some pictures & get some measurements..

Look back here is a day or so..

Twisty

Don't know why you ask that question.

Apart from price I can't fault the BMW tank bag. It is designed to fit your RT so why try to fit something that doen't.

On/off in a second, works and looks great.

I have a Marsee and it is tied to the rack and flips up for filling up by unlatching the rear clips only. It does expand and no problem with my Migsel mounted Zumo. It does touch ESA button at parking when wheel turned left.

Only disadvantage is the lack of dividers in bag, it only has a couple of pockets inside the top part.

The map is reversible and after 4 years it is still going strong without any yellowing of vinyl. (only 16,000 miles though)

Archived