IGNORED

Towing Service

Dave Faria

I'm one of the lucky ones who has had a rear drive failure - 200 miles from home. I like to go camping out in the boonies so to speak so there usually are no shops within 100 miles. AAA use to offer a 100 mile motorcycle tow for $35/year if you carried their auto policy. Does anyone know of a reliable national insurance which will provide longer tows like 400 to 500 miles????

Thanks List

RV Roadhelp (served by Allstate Motor Club) covers unlimited miles to the nearest facility capable of servicing the vehicle (even if that facility is a BMW dealership 500 miles away, I asked that specific question.) It's not cheap at $99/year but it is popular among those who tour in the boonies and an even better deal if you have an RV and/or trailer as Roadhelp covers those where many towing services do not (i.e. if you are towing a motorcycle trailer and experience a disabled tow vehicle they will tow both the truck and the trailer to a service point.)

I have used them a couple of times and Customer Service can be variable, some experiences have been excellent and some less than that, but the job always got done. If you have an iPhone they have an app that will send your assistance request and GPS coordinates electronically. No 500-miles tows yet though (or hopefully ever.)

RV Roadhelp has served me well... Twice, both times in what could have been very, very expencive tows, 99.00 a year. I don't leave home without it (and a charged cell phone).

AS mentioned above servive is kinda funny, I was on a desert hiway on my way to Torrey and the operater wanted a side street, I really don't see one, says I, and I can see for miles.She really didn't understand the western desert or Why someone would be there.

AS mentioned above servive is kinda funny, I was on a desert hiway on my way to Torrey and the operater wanted a side street, I really don't see one, says I, and I can see for miles.She really didn't understand the western desert or Why someone would be there.

Yeah, same kind of thing here. On one call everything was very automated and efficient and on another I was asked for the zip code of my breakdown location(?) But whatever, I received prompt service and no bill and that's what I'm really looking for.

Hijack alert. Moderators can move this post if they wish. Comments about towing stories reminded me of a trip in Italy 5 years ago with SWMBO and 3 teenage daughters. Rented a mini van (those who rent in EU know how mini that is). Drove it for 2 weeks and 1 day away from return to Rome the clutch went with wife driving. The good news is we were 2 km off an autostrada run of 2 hours, right outside Capalle so we coasted to the curb. I called Avis who wanted to know where I was. Outside Capalle didn't do it they wanted a street name, which of course I didn't have. I strolled over to a walking path and convinced a young mother out on a stroll to talk to Avis as my Italian is a disaster. She got the message across and a flatbed tow truck arrived in about 15 minutes. Of course we were wondering how 5 of us would fit in the cab of the tow truck - the Italian solution -- just stay in the van -- they winched it on the truck and we had a panoramic view to the repair shop on the top of the flatbed.

The kids thought it was hilarious - and I was happy we weren't in N. America where some rule would have said 1 passenger with the tow driver and the rest wait by the side of the road.

Some tow stories have a happy ending (especially when its not your vehicle that breaks down.

I recently contemplated these things for a cross country trip this past Spring. My two cents: Use the tow program to get yourself off the highway, and to some reasonable destination (Flying J, Motel 6, Hilton...). I can't think of too many locations where you couldn't at least do that with a garden variety towing plan.

Then once you've eaten and had a beer and a nap, ship the darn thing home with somebody like Federal. There are numerous outfits that ship bikes. Dealers are usually willing to help (usually for a small fee), so you just ship it to the dealer of your choosing, and they get started on the repairs. Then you can fly, bus or rent a car....

Call a few of the shipping outfits and ask about their typical lead time. The pick-up might be remarkably quick. Keep their 800 numbers in your cell phone.

Another reasonable option is to load the thing into a U-Haul. 1-800-GO-UHAUL. They're all over the place.

"Another reasonable option is to load the thing into a U-Haul. 1-800-GO-UHAUL. They're all over the place"

When people ask what would I do if the bike dies far from home, my answer is as last resort I have a good credit card that gets me a IHAUL. I did it once, from eastern Arkansas to home. For me it is much easier/less expensive to have the bike repaired at my favorite dealer where I work than somewhere else.

Actually, if you upgrade your AAA membership to "Premier", you'll get 200 free towing miles.

Well, you might. AAA benefits vary by region so you'd have to check.

RoanokeRider
Actually, if you upgrade your AAA membership to "Premier", you'll get 200 free towing miles.

Well, you might. AAA benefits vary by region so you'd have to check.

Also, the way it was explained to me is that you get the service offered in the area where you break down and not necessarily where you purchased your policy. Your home policy will then reimburse you for any difference. Kinda defeats the "One call does it all" concept. YMMV.

"Another reasonable option is to load the thing into a U-Haul. 1-800-GO-UHAUL. They're all over the place"

When people ask what would I do if the bike dies far from home, my answer is as last resort I have a good credit card that gets me a IHAUL. I did it once, from eastern Arkansas to home. For me it is much easier/less expensive to have the bike repaired at my favorite dealer where I work than somewhere else.

One of our group crashed in South Dakota. He was OK, the bike was not. We had the bike towed to the hotel where we tried to rent a uhaul so he could haul it back to florida. Uhaul would only rent the truck with a trailer, no mc allowed in the truck. Since it was a one-way rental the fee would be $1500.00

We passed on that. We found tourist in town with a bike on a trailer, there was room for one more. He was heading to florida. We gave him $600 to drop off the bike, put the rider in a cab to the airport where he got a flight home.

I haven't read the fine print, what about the roadside assistance that comes with new bikes? Anybody know the limits BMW puts on that?

I have a similar story to Alan's. I was riding with a bunch of Buell riders when the guy on a Firebolt lost all his compression. We had some straps, so one of the guys in our group tied the Firebolt up to his Ulysses and pulled him 10 miles into town. Along the way a Mississippi Highway Patrol officer looked over at us and then kept on driving. I guess we weren't causing too much of a circus for him to pull us over. ;-)

The owner of the bike rented a truck and he and another rider who had to go to a trade show in Louisiana hopped in the truck and brought the vehicle back to Austin.

Wayne

I have RV Roadhelp from Allstate but luckily haven't had to use it yet.

Paul, I can't imagine a better place (sarcasm intended)to break down than eastern Ark. Especially if it was in the heat of summer!

Paul Mihalka

It was a experience. Location rt. 14 just south of Johnsboro. I was supposed to have roadside assistance by BMWMOA. They were absolutely useless. I asked to find me at least somebody to take me to Memphis which was 60 miles away, nothing. Worst part, I emailed repeatedly with my case number after I got home to get some compensation and they didn't even answer the mails. Now I have KOA/Allstate coverage and needed it once. They were OK.

What I can say is the people on location could not have been more helpful.

I haven't read the fine print, what about the roadside assistance that comes with new bikes? Anybody know the limits BMW puts on that?

I just got the card and booklet for my GS Adv. It says:

"If your motorcycle should break down while covered under warranty or require towing after an accident or collision, it will be transported to the nearest authorized BMW Motorrad USA dealership. You may also elect to have your motorcycle towed to the BMW Motorrad USA dealership of your choice, provided the dealership is within a 50-mile radius of the closet dealership."

I haven't used it, but if you search you will find folks that have, and they managed some pretty long tows.

In the "Terms and Conditions" they list several exceptions, I paraphrase here:

- You have to be with the bike when they get there

- They will not tow you from an auto repair shop or service station to another location.

- They will not tow you on roads not regularly maintained, including private property. (Does this mean a driveway?) Regularly maintained is interesting, as around Oregon, I would argue that there are many forest service roads that are regularly maintained, and some that are not.

- Repeated calls for a bike in need of maintenance are not covered

- No service when bike is snowbound. They will not hoist, winch, or shovel motorcycles from unplowed areas

- The will not service in areas not regularly travelled like beaches, open fields, or other areas that would be hazardous for the tow vehicle to reach.

- They will not install or remove snow tires and/or chains

- They will not dismount, repair, or rotate tires :-)

- They will not service stolen motorcycles, unlicensed motorcycles, or illegally parked or impounded vehicles, or those used for competition.

- License plates and emissions inspections must be current

- They will transport the member to the bike before service, or from the service location to another location

- They will not charge a weak or dead battery

- They will not deliver or repair tires

- They will not tow motorcycle off of a dock or marina

- They will not cover the cost of making replacement key or lock

The coverages lasts 3 yrs w/unlimited mileage from the original inservice date for new bikes, and 5 yrs w/unlimited mileage for certified pre owned bikes, from the ORIGINAL SERVICE DATE.

I see no provision for renewal once it expires.

RV Roadhelp (served by Allstate Motor Club) covers unlimited miles to the nearest facility capable of servicing the vehicle (even if that facility is a BMW dealership 500 miles away, I asked that specific question.) It's not cheap at $99/year

The link here

http://www.koa.com/rvroadhelp/

offers it for $75 for the first year. It also covers your spouse (or one other household member) as well. AAA with 100 mile tow with spouse coverage is $137, $174 with one annual 200 mile tow. I think the KOA/Allstate stuff is a screamin' deal. I've read more than one report of AAA members being left on the side of the road in California because they don't provide motorcycle coverage there. ymmv.

Does anyone know of a reliable national insurance which will provide longer tows like 400 to 500 miles????Thanks List

you can try Foremost? not sure of the distance though.

Just went through this. According to Foremost, they said they will tow a bike to the nearest authorized repair facility. Mileage was not an issue. My agent got this straight from Foremost. For me that eliminates another expenditure each year (like having KOA towing, etc.) They also paid off my crash quickly and very reasonably.

You may wish to check the details of the towing for yourself.

Progressive Motocycle Insurance. Unlimited mileage to nearest authorized repair shop. Included for just $8 per year in my policy!

Archived