IGNORED

BMW Trailguard vs. Aerostich Darien

moshe_levy

All-

With my brand spanking new Amex gift certificate, I'd like to go get a "premium" jacket for winter. Can't decide between these two - both claim to be waterproof, both good quality, both around the same price. Anybody have any direct experience with one or both? I didn't find any direct comparisons online, either (might be a good test to do for MCN). Maybe there are other choices I'm ignoring but I really do love the style of these two.

-MKL

Sorry, 1 more question. Once I remember seeing a written list of what made a Roadcrafter jacket different than a Darien. Can't find that in the newest Stich catalog. Anybody have that handy, so I can compare the two?

-MKL

I've had the Darian as well as the BMW predecessor to the Trailguard. I very much prefer the BMW. I got rid of my Darian because it was too stiff and just didn't fit as well as the BMW. The actual Darian without the liner is just a shell. The BMW is finished much better on the inside IMO. I think the Roadcrafter would be a much better jacket if you much have a Stich.

Sorry, 1 more question. Once I remember seeing a written list of what made a Roadcrafter jacket different than a Darien. Can't find that in the newest Stich catalog. Anybody have that handy, so I can compare the two?

-MKL

It's on page 22 of the downloadable catalog suit section.

moshe.jpg

I've only had the Darien, and only have about 3k miles on mine.

I really like it.

Things to consider:

1) Fit. It's the most important of all.

2) Warranty / Returns? Aerostitch is great about repairs, and accepting returns.

3) Customization. You can get a lot of modifications done to make a 'stitch "just right."

The Darien was very stiff when I got it. It took 1k miles to bend in the right places. I got the competition back pad for mine, fits very well, excellent coverage. They have a lot of liners, I got the Wind Stopper version. Zips in, very wearable standalone. I tried their electric, it's not in the same ball park as the latest from Gerbing or WarmNSafe.

I've bought several $300ish jackets, but only seem to get a year out of them. They always seem to leak as well. I've had the Darien in some pretty serious rain, there is no comparison. It's spendy, but I know a lot of people that have many years on them. That's what I'm hoping for.

I got the Darien pants too. Very functional and comfortable for me.

Trailguard is not waterproof without the optional liner, but, that makes the liner waterproof, not, the jacket, now doesn't it? Comparable pricing is the darien WITH insulating liner to trailguard minus liner. A couple hundred $$ difference. DArien will hold up forever. Trailguard not so much. Trailguard looks much better, and, arguably, has more high tech materials, but, I'd trust the good folks in Mn. to sew it all together better than the youngsters in China will. Darien is more functional gear that will protect you. Trailguard is more fashionable gear that will protect you, but, you'll pay more, and, you won't be able to get it repaired. Weigh the differences, and,make your choice accordingly.

After studying the literature, I do see that indeed a liner is required for the BMW to make it waterproof - an expensive liner, at that. By the same token, the Darien needs a backpad at extra cost, as well. I consider a back protector mandatory. Neither choice is going to be cheap. Makes you think of the deals at newenough with a mid level jacket that was selling for $400 a year ago now going for $150! But I digress...

I also see the Darien comes with a liner, while I am not clear on whether the Roadcrafter does. I don't think it does. Will have to call and find out.

After many years using Firstgear, I got a BMW Airshell this past fall, and was blown away by the fit and quality. What I'm trying to do here is basically by a premium winter coat to round out my collection. I have no doubt the Airshell will last many, many years, as will a heavier BMW jacket or Aerostich, for that matter.

I'm leaning towards the Stich because I just love the industrial, functional style of it, and also because it's a gold standard in quality - and it doesn't hurt the cause that it's made here in the USA.

-MKL

One other item I noted was that the Darien had very bulky elbow and shoulder pads where the BMW were very conformal. Bottom line to me was my Darian was "industrial" and worked well but butt ugly and stiff. I might consider a Roadcrafter but never another Darien.

Some have told me the Roadcrafter is the better cold weather jacket if you get one that fits.

But, I've heard both can be drafty and need good liners in the cold.

You mention

Deals

and

$350 jacket/pants/gloves

but I know what you seem to be looking for and you'll only be happy when you make the choice to get that special gear.

Otherwise you'll 2nd guess...

Best wishes.

One other item I noted was that the Darien had very bulky elbow and shoulder pads where the BMW were very conformal. Bottom line to me was my Darian was "industrial" and worked well but butt ugly and stiff. I might consider a Roadcrafter but never another Darien.

Do the BMW pads have armor? You can get pads without armor for the Darien, they are much more flexible. I ordered them, but by the time I arrived I had already gotten used to the armored ones. I don't even think about it now.

Have you considered a one-piece roadcrafter? Great in the cold, quick entry/exit very waterproof (some people complain of zipper leaks in the crotch but I haven't experienced that with my GS or RT and I have ridden in plenty of rain).

ATGATT. Can't leave the pant's at home. No Drafts. Coat can't pull up/pants can't pull down in an off. All you need is a fleece liner - heated if in extremes. Add Bakalava + Hippo Hands and the only thing that will stop you is ice and snow.

I have had my Darien Jacket for almost 5 years now. It is the most waterproof jacket I have ever had! I bought it 1 month old from someone who said it was too stiff to wear. The secret is to wash it and then put it on air only in the drier with a pair of two of tennis shoes. It was much more flexible after that. In coldest weather I wear a long sleeve t-shirt, Gerbings liner and a windbreaker top over the Gerbings. Also Bohn makes a great back pad specifially for the Darien Jacket. I would buy one again in a heartbeat!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I have only had the roadcrafter, but have had both one- and two-piece suits. The one-piece never leaked, the two-piece has frequently leaked, right at the crotch, where your splayed legs create "pull" against the zipper. Even with a properly fitted suit,the water eventually gets in. My theory is that the two-piece has enough overlap at the waist to prevent water entry.

I would buy a roadcrafter again, but not a one piece. Darien says that it will outperform any gear you have now. Boastful, but I bet it measures up.

I started out with the original FG Kilimanjaro (which I loved and still own). I then moved to a BMW Commuter 3. About a year ago I 'finally' purchased a Darien. One of the first few posters complained of the industrial nature of the jacket - or something to that effect. To me, that is one of its most enduring qualities. In my view it is very much a tool that I use to offer protection from elements and the pavement, not something that I necessarily care too much about looking good in (although I can't honestly say that looks are 100% out of my equation). I will agree, my Commuter 3 is much more form fitting, probably better looking, and more comfortable when in a direct comparison - IMHO, BMW makes about the best looking and fitting (for my body anyway) gear around. But the Darien just plain works - and well. From the pockets - don't get me started on how much I like the long breast pockets - to the zippered cuffs, so you're not always messing with velcro, there are so many little things that are hard to describe until you just take the plunge and purchase one. I agree it is very stiff initially - even a year later it is very stiff compared to most other jackets on the market, but I don't even notice it anymore because it is basically all I wear. The stiffness is actually what makes it bearable in some surprisingly warm temps. Open the pit and back vents and because the jacket doesn't lay on you (because of the stiffness) it pushes some serious air through it. I wore my Commuter 3 pretty seriously for about 12-18 months (bikes are my primary mode of transpo) and was surprised at the amount of wear - a lot of fraying of the material from the velcro snagging it, velcro beginning to tear off the jacket, etc. I've worn my Darien for about the same amount of time and, other than dirt, doesn't show ANY signs of wear - the thing wears like iron. I'm still wearing the BMW cover pants day in and day out and love them. I've never seen the Darien pants, but I believe they are almost identical - over pants, side zippers, integrated waterproofing, etc. I will never own another jacket like BMWs with a waterproof liner - a serious PITA if you're a commuter and don't want to think about the weather - I want to just suit up and go - it's what prevented me from giving a closer look to the kevlar gear (can't think of the name off the top of my head). Oh yeah, another thing (doesn't matter to all): I like seeing the made in the USA tag on the outside of the jacket, and really enjoy the great customer service from Andy and all the Aerostich folks. Have a small spill? Send it back to get repaired. Getting long in the tooth (read 10-15 years of abuse)? Send it back to get refreshed (new zipper, velcro, etc.). Honestly, I have nothing to do with Aerostich - just a combination of not being able to sleep and being a huge fan of my Darien. The last word that I'll leave you with is it is not a good 'first impression' jacket. When I first tried it on after receiving it, I had some buyer's remorse due to the fit and the always mentioned stiffness. Once used however, it is a completely different ball game. It's taken me years to do so, but between my HJC Symax, Aerostich Darien jacket, Gerbing heated liner, Aerostich Elkskin Ropers, BMW Cover pants, and Oxtar Matrix boots, I have my ATGATT setup that I am able to wear in 95% of the conditions that I ride in - I swap an old, original JR Phoenix mesh jacket for the Darien during the other 5%. The only bad part to that is that I no longer have an excuse to be a gear whore - a past time that I used to relish and be quite good at...

I have a Darien I use for the winter months, and an Airshell I bought this summer for warm weather. I love them both.

In 2002, about 4 months after buying the Darien, I hit a deer. The Darien proved itself where it counts. The armor really kept me from getting ground up by the road. As for its ability to keep the water out, it is the best. I ride year round, rain or shine. And Oregon has more than it's fair share of rain!

I also have the Darien pants, and had a problem with leaking in the crotch. I found the fly was the problem, it rides too low allowing the water to leak in. The answer was spending $20 on a pair of suspenders. This makes the pants ride up higher and I have not had the leakage problem since.

Trailguard is not waterproof without the optional liner, but, that makes the liner waterproof, not, the jacket, now doesn't it?

This seems to be the case with most multi-functional jackets ie adding the waterproof lining for the rain. Like many things, it's a trade off I guess. A soaking wet outer jacket is a hassle to be sure. But so is having that waterproof barrier on a hot day when it's not needed. One can always spray the outer jacket helping somewhat. Or carry the liner with (like on my FG Rainer - which has 2 liners!) on long trips or perhaps best of all - carry waterproof outer wear to slip on over your normal riding gear.

good luck!

Archived