IGNORED

Removing Wunderlichs without removing tupperware

FLrider

I just sold my Wunderlich engine guards and need to remove them from my RT1200. They were installed by the dealer at delivery and I didn't see how they did it.

Anyone here know if these can be removed without taking the tupperware off?

I really don't want to have to remove the tupperware....

If you haven't pulled the tupperware, it's not that bad. And if you pull it every time you get close to needing to, you get good at it. :-) But the time I sold my RT it was like a 10 minute thing. The V-Strom is a huge pain my comparison. I don't think there are two screws that are the same size.

Not to Hijack, but yes, there is a problem with that product. A tip transfers the load through the guards and into the engine case, where they're mounted. There are pics on this site of broken engine cases after minor tips with these guards. Broken engine cases are not an inexpensive proposition....

-MKL

Contrary to the posts regarding the broken cases, there is no problem with this product. The product is designed to protect the heads from a tip over of slow speed drop. In those cases, there is no risk to the cases.

They were not designed to absorb the impact of a crash or IMHO the instance where the driver ran over a curb or concrete parking lot guard.

I am selling the Wunderlich in order to buy a product that is more "foot peg" friendly. That is my primary motivation. NOT because of any concerns over an isolated event where someone damaged their cases over a questionable tip over.....

As an aside, I removed them today. Took about 20 minutes and did NOT have to remove the tupperware.

Not to Hijack, but yes, there is a problem with that product. A tip transfers the load through the guards and into the engine case, where they're mounted. There are pics on this site of broken engine cases after minor tips with these guards. Broken engine cases are not an inexpensive proposition....

-MKL

But Moshe, isn't that true of all guards for the Hexheads? I had steel covers (can't remember the brand) over the valve covers and in two separate zero-speed drops both bent. I was lucky they didn't bend or break the bolts which attach the valve covers to the heads, or crack the valve covers themselves. I tossed 'em in the recycling. Given the fact that there's no lower frame to bolt to, seems all the various covers and bars can cause damage such as you described. I see the protector bars for parking lot tipovers, or stupidhead tipovers, not to save anything in a real wreck. For that I have low-deductible insurance. The bars have several mounting points, spreading shock loads, compared to the valve cover guards.

Guys-

I stand corrected. I seem to remember a thread about a case which cracked in a routine tip, but if that was in error, I apologize. I have no engine guards on my RT and don't know much about how they mount - other than that I am intrigued by Z-Tecnik's new guards in that I believe they have an integrated aux light mounting hole. But, I digress... Sorry for any misleading info...

-MKL

Guys-

I stand corrected. I seem to remember a thread about a case which cracked in a routine tip, but if that was in error, I apologize.

-MKL

You are correct. There was a thread about a case cracking. If my memory serves me correctly, the issue was whether or not the original poster was being accurate in describing his experience as a tip over.

Fact is the Wunderlichs have at least 8 maybe 10 attachment points, which does allow for the distribution of impact along several points.

I am going to buy the Ztechniks and WISH they had as many attachment points, but they don't. Like I said, my primary motive is foot peg friendly...

GreatDaysAhead

If you can please review and advise us as how you like your new guards after install. I too have been considering the Zteks also. Let us know how and what pegs you use also. pics? Thanks in advance. :)

And just to reinforce FLrider's comments, I own 2 RT's with Wunderlich's and they ARE mounted so that tip-overs will not damage the engine case (DAMHIK)--in fact a typical crash/slide scenario at speed will most likely have no effect on it, imho. The accident in question was when a rider did not clear a concrete curb and the bottom mounting bar was shoved rearward tearing a hole in one of the mounting points under the engine. That could also happen with NO bars mounted, if the engine case smashed into an im-moveable curb. :eek:

I just sold my Wunderlich engine guards and need to remove them from my RT1200. They were installed by the dealer at delivery and I didn't see how they did it.

Anyone here know if these can be removed without taking the tupperware off?

I really don't want to have to remove the tupperware....

Sorry you never got an answer to your question--you should have no problem removing the guards with the tupperware in place. Just start removing bolts....

Archived