IGNORED

XM radio options? and mounting?

cali_beemer

After having XM radio through a zumo (stolen) and a 2730 (sold with bike), I decided I want XM again on my RS. However, I dont want to cough up money for a GPS. I never used the GPS much and most of the time it never gave me good directions. So, now I am thinking of doing an XM portable radio. I see alot of nice units but which ones work well on a bike with gloves on and in sunlight? What type of brackets are out there for mounting, or do I need to make something? Pictures of your unit installed would help.

The reservoir mounts from Cycle Gadgets (www.cyclegadgets.com) are decent. I have a Sirius Stratus V, but I am not happy with it. Its been replaced once and still doesn't work quite right--it seems "cheap", probably because it is.

I'd be interested in seeing the other replies as to which unit folks are using.

JEP

I've used a Delphi SkyFi2 with a RAM mount on my clutch reservoir. Worked well. It was plugged into my Autocom system with helmet speakers. I now use a GXM30 that goes through my Zumo 550 (and then through the Autocom). The GXM30/Zumo setup saved powering the radio and an audio cable - a cleaner look. Enjoy!

I've used a Delphi SkyFi2 with a RAM mount on my clutch reservoir. Worked well. It was plugged into my Autocom system with helmet speakers. I now use a GXM30 that goes through my Zumo 550 (and then through the Autocom). The GXM30/Zumo setup saved powering the radio and an audio cable - a cleaner look. Enjoy!

I agree, its a sweet and clean setup. I am just not too sure about the cost especially since I dont use the GPS much.

Would something like THIS work on your RS? If so, I have a limitless supply of Lexan, and would be happy to cut a piece and mail it to you. It's worked for me for almost three years. Do NOT get a Roady; vibration ruins the power plug connection. I have a Skyfi2 now, and it's been reliable.

I also recommend you consider an Amplirider (google it) as it will give you volume control. Excellent product, excellent customer service.

Send me a PM if you want a piece of the Lexan. All I have is white translucent.

I agree with Mark that the Roady is prone to problems on a motorcycle. I use an Express EZ which has a mountable base that the wires plug into. I can easily remove the radio portion to hide it or get it out of the rain. I have additional bases mounted in my other vehicles and move the radio, just plugging it into the base. There are other (higher end) models that use the same base should you decide to upgrade to additional features (more buttons, different screens) later.

The Express EZ is cheap (usually can be had for $30-40 on sale) which includes the base, a car power adaptor and antenna.

The only problem I have found is the radio will loosen from the base during moderate to heavy vibration. I just put a rubber band around it. Buckster

It appears I will be putting on a roady 2 unit after being contacted by a very kind member on this site. Now I just need to figure out where to mount it.

I am looking to see where I can get the wire to hardwire a XM roady 2 to the bike. Anyone have any great CHEAP sources? Is this something I can just go to radio shack on?

markgoodrich
I am looking to see where I can get the wire to hardwire a XM roady 2 to the bike. Anyone have any great CHEAP sources? Is this something I can just go to radio shack on?

If you're at all handy with a soldering iron, you can pull the cigarette lighter plug apart, and solder wires to the two connectors...they'll be obvious...and be done with it. I've no photos, sorry. Mine's been under the seat for several years, wrapped in electrical tape, no problems. I have it connected to a fused power block.

If you're at all handy with a soldering iron, you can pull the cigarette lighter plug apart, and solder wires to the two connectors...they'll be obvious...and be done with it. I've no photos, sorry. Mine's been under the seat for several years, wrapped in electrical tape, no problems. I have it connected to a fused power block.

If I cut the cigarette lighter plug off, could I just splice right into the power line for a power outlet? If I plan on running auxilery lights and some other stuff later, should I just invest in a fused power block. If so, how do I wire a power block to the bike so that the power is diconnected with the ignition? My apologies for stupid wuestions. but I am a mechanical person, not an electrical. I have no problem putting on connectors, soldering, etc... but I just dont always know what I am doing when it comes to what goes where.

markgoodrich

If I cut the cigarette lighter plug off, could I just splice right into the power line for a power outlet? If I plan on running auxilery lights and some other stuff later, should I just invest in a fused power block. If so, how do I wire a power block to the bike so that the power is diconnected with the ignition? My apologies for stupid wuestions. but I am a mechanical person, not an electrical. I have no problem putting on connectors, soldering, etc... but I just dont always know what I am doing when it comes to what goes where.

NO! The cigarette plug reduces voltage from 12 to five or six (I don't remember which); you've got to have it or you'll fry the unit...or get one of the adapters suggested in another post.

There a zillions of posts regarding fused power blocks, search for "fuse block" which is what most folks call them. Some come with a built-in relay, which you'll need. You'll just need to tap the relay into a wire that's always hot when the ignition is on; a good choice is the hot wire to the rear accessory plug, if you have one, but there are numerous alternatives.

If you want something cheap, you can make your own for just a few bucks. I suggest following the directions in the link, but adding a plastic "project box" also from Radio Shack. Drill holes in each end for wires, close the box with zip ties so you can access the strip when you need to add stuff, and use velcro to hold it in place somewhere under the seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived