IGNORED

12 volt power connectors

Lockguy

Currently, I have a "cigarete lighter" outlet(I don't know the technical term)mounted in the dash area to plug my GPS into. I don't like the big thing nor the coiled up extra lead on the GPS. I am looking for a plug/receptacle similar to the concentric ones on the heated clothing, or smaller that I can splice into the GPS lead with and have a panel mounted receptacle on the dash. Can anyone give me some technical names, numbers or sources for such animals?

Thanks

Lockguy

Currently, I have a "cigarete lighter" outlet(I don't know the technical term)mounted in the dash area to plug my GPS into. I don't like the big thing nor the coiled up extra lead on the GPS. I am looking for a plug/receptacle similar to the concentric ones on the heated clothing, or smaller that I can splice into the GPS lead with and have a panel mounted receptacle on the dash. Can anyone give me some technical names, numbers or sources for such animals?

Thanks

Lockguy

like this?

pRS1C-2264647w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102489&CAWELAID=107593403

Here's what I badly need: a connector for medium currents like 5A but that pulls apart with a light tug (like when I often forget to disconnect my Gerbing's).

I mean "pulls apart" but doesn't self-destruct in the process, of course.

Anybody know of one?

Hoping I could invent such a thing using magnets or trick levers or something. But not yet.

Thanks James. I do believe this is the animal I am looking for, being the chincy guy that I am. Now to find a Radio Shack with staff that can sell me the product. That can be a challenge, but with the part numbers, I think I can make it work.

Thanks again and Happy New Year

Curtis

If you can't find it at Rat Shack, try www.mouser.com, www.jameco.com, or www.parts-express.com. There are actually some higher-amp-rated versions of these jacks in case you want to plug in something more than a GPS. (Keeping with the same size as the Gerbings plug, which is apparently 5.5 mm x 2.5 mm, would seem to be a wise move).

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Peter

Guitar plug.

We used these on KZ1000P's, for sound and mic, since one couldn't always take the time to disconnect when getting off the bike quickly. Normally on and off 20 to 30 times a day, maybe more, maybe less. Maybe a couple of those using the "auto-disconnect". I only had to get a rewire for strain relief a couple of times.

Think about it, most guitarists are fanatics about their equipment. Some aren't, not to mention hygiene, so the name brands design to them.

Not sure what the current load is though. The connector will handle it but the wire is another thing.

Not intending to hijack this thread, but I have a question:

Is the voltage at the (typical) gps unit, actually 12V, or does it get reduced first? I've thought about attaching a powerlet plug to my gps, but I figured that the old cig lighter plug had a resistor in there.

I suppose that question would apply to cell phones and other various gizmos as well.

Typically, most voltages at GPS's, phones etc are about 5 volts. That's how you plug them into your PC with a straight lead (USB, Mini USB)and they will see whatever drives there are plus recharge at the same time.

Archived