IGNORED

Has anyone Tried the BMW RT Accessory Shelf Yet?

Nice n Easy Rider

Nice n Easy Rider

Does anyone have experience with the BMW RT accessory shelf? It is reasonably priced ($56.90; Sierra BMW) and looks easy to install but I'm wondering how much vibration would occur with it. I'm thinking of it for my Zumo and my SPOT but it might also help to remove some of the glare from the instruments. From the photos it looks like it is attached by only the two existing screws which is why I'm concerned about the possibility of a lot of vibration.

bmw_r1200rt_shelf_sierra_bmw.jpg

Nice n Easy Rider
Your concern is valid. I have one and it does vibrate. Makes a great shade device for the instruments. Not much else.

Craig

Craig, thanks for the info. Do you think a SPOT would stay put there if fastened with with Dual-Lock?

I have a shelf on my 1150RT which is solid and secure. I currently have the GPS mounted on it and have no issue with vibration. Do note; on the 1150RT the mount is secured with four screws; the picture above is 1200RT and looks very deferent then mine.

Good luck with your quest.

Joe B

04R1150RT

I have a shelf on my 1150RT which is solid and secure. I currently have the GPS mounted on it and have no issue with vibration. Do note; on the 1150RT the mount is secured with four screws; the picture above is 1200RT and looks very deferent then mine.

Good luck with your quest.

Joe B

04R1150RT

Can you post a picture of yours Joe? I'm thinking about one for my 1150RT.

Got the shelf with a small GPS and a Small satellite radio on it. Yes it does vibrate but not enough to bother them or me. I don't think it does anything to shade the instruments.

I use the Migsel for my GPS Zumo same fastening ponts and it is ok.

THis one looks interesting as it could serve a few more devices but why not integtrate a ball mount in it from the start?

anyone with one pls shhow more pictures.

h

Your concern is valid. I have one and it does vibrate. Makes a great shade device for the instruments. Not much else.

Craig

Craig, thanks for the info. Do you think a SPOT would stay put there if fastened with with Dual-Lock?

Yep, pretty sure the Spot would be fine. The vibration would be (for me) an irritant when trying to view my GPS. As a shelf for small stuff like a Spot should not be a problem.

Craig

I got the BMR Co Pilot Shelf, it is EZ to install, and reeks of quality workmanship and material, no issues with vibration at all. It is pricey however.

markgoodrich
+1 on Migsel. Holds two devices and minimal vibration. Also, it looks like OEM.

I agree about the Migsel, with a qualifier: I've used one to hold a heavy Garmin 376c with an XM puck mounted atop the Garmin, for almost three years. Vibration was never a problem. Switched to a CalSci shield to resolve wind noise issues (it did, remarkably) but the hole in the CalSci lets in so much air that the Garmin becomes unreadable at various speeds. I'm in the process of trying various different mounting options for the Garmin. The CalSci-vibrating-Migsel would be fine for radar, etc, but I find it unacceptable for the Garmin. Let me repeat: with the stock shield, the Migsel was great.

Mark,

I suggest you check out the new WunderlichAmerica mount. What is not shown in the Wunderlich picture is the mounting reinforcement bracket which ties to the frame under the two standard screw mount locations.

Similar to the GadgetGuy.net bracket.

I am installing the Wunderlich mount now with a Garmin 376C and XM puck on top. I also expect to install a V1 to this mount

I got the BMR Co Pilot Shelf

+1

Depending on how much "stuff" to mount, cost of a BMR might be justified. In addition to Zumo, I mounted an Garmin XM puck, V1 detector plus remote audio and LED display for that - all easily supported by the BMR with everything up in good line of sight!

I have one on an 09 RT. It works but I would advise using it for a Street Pilot or similar. Those units are too heavy for the shelf causing it to sag. So far nothing worse than sagging but that can't be a good thing.

Karl

I got the BMR Co Pilot Shelf

+1

Depending on how much "stuff" to mount, cost of a BMR might be justified. In addition to Zumo, I mounted an Garmin XM puck, V1 detector plus remote audio and LED display for that - all easily supported by the BMR with everything up in good line of sight!

+2 The BMR Shelf works great.

Sage

Excellant ref on the Mount I am going to use the Gadget Guys Mouting System.Looks like a pain to install but solid as a Rock.

My Neighbor has the shevle on his RT and its junk.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wunderlich bracket is an easy install,and, if a GPS was the only item I wished to mount, I would be very happy. In fact, I would highly recommend this bracket for a GPS (or other single device) only application. exactly what it was designed for.

Unfortunately, I wish to mount in addition to the GPS (a Garmin 376C with GXM30 XM Puck), a Valentine 1 radar detector, and possibly my bike-2-bike radio as well. This the Wunderlich cannot handle.

I think at this point I am going to retain the Wunderlich reinforcement bracket and remount my RCU shelf......

Archived