IGNORED

Garmin maps - when updated?

Sailorlite

I'm using Garmin's City Select North America ver. 7, new about 4 years ago. Some of the POI and street info is seriously out of date and could stand updating. What I'm thinking of buying is their "City Navigator North America 2010" in microSD format (for my 60CSx).

Here's my question: When does Garmin finalize new editions of CNNA? When was the "2010" edition first available, and when will the next edition likely be available? I can wait a one or two months to purchase if that would give me data that's 12 months newer.

I have the lifetime maps option for my Zumo. There were 3 "2010" map updates in 2009. My condo is still not in the database and I moved in 4.5 years ago! YMWV

I have the lifetime maps option for my Zumo. There were 3 "2010" map updates in 2009. My condo is still not in the database and I moved in 4.5 years ago! YMWV

I've seen similar situations where the road changed years ago and the latest map does not show it. I don't rush out and upgrade maps anymore.

City Navigator 2010 came out in 2009.

since then Garmin has started selling the perpetual update as a new product. This means you buy the map (think of it as a subscription) and then you get free updates as they occur. The subscription price is slightly higher than the one-time update price.

As for the accuracy of the POI and the roads... the data comes from a third-party vendor and the corrections and updates are done as frequently as they can... if you have a garmin product and find an error, there is a standard map-correction page on their site.

As for the accuracy of the POI and the roads... the data comes from a third-party vendor and the corrections and updates are done as frequently as they can... if you have a garmin product and find an error, there is a standard map-correction page on their site.

Two years ago I submitted a map correction for a road. As of the 2nd update on the 2010 map, no fixes had been made. I'm really not convinced that they use any of the information people provide from that.

Wayne

I just bought the lifetime update for use in my Garmin 2820, and errors regarding one-way streets in Boston which existed three years ago are still there. I just used the 2820 in a rental car in the Sonoma County/San Francisco area for a week-long trip, and it did have some errors and and gaps regarding commercial outlets. I wonder what Garmin (or more probably MAPTEQ) actually does update?

FWIW, you can buy the lifetime update card from Amazon for a lot less than Garmin charges.

You said..."I'm really not convinced that they use any of the information people provide from that."

You are absolutely correct- they do not use the corrections we send it... they give them to Mapteq and that vendor either updates the data or not. Garmin does not manage the data on or in the map.

FWIW... I reported the number change of Hwy 666 from Gallup, NM northbound, and in the next map update it came out correctly as 491.... so there.

As Bob Sheehan says, "you can prove anything with a small enough data sample".

I heard back from Garmin last night. What they said is that the non-subscription maps (DVD's, microSD cards) are generally published annually, around April, with whatever updates are available then. I plan to check back with them in April or May and buy a newly updated DVD. Regardless of how promptly they add corrected data, it should be 4 or 5 years newer than my 2005 DVD (bought in early 2006).

I've seen similar situations where the road changed years ago and the latest map does not show it. I don't rush out and upgrade maps anymore.

Is this whole lifetime update option a big scam? Apparently not many people were buying the annual updates because of the reason stated above. What does "update" mean, anyway. Could be they change a handful of items and "update"? I've had a Tom Tom unit for 5 years now--no updates--and it still gets me to where I want to go...how many new significant roads are built in a year? What am I missing?

Archived